engine monitor question

drgwentzel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kobra
I am thinking of purchasing a friend's Insight GEM 602 engine monitor for my Cessna 177RG. Is this monitor STC'd for my aircraft? I think it is, but I'm not positive.

What is the concensus of the group on this model by Insight?

Gene - '71 C177RG

I just installed an Insight Gemini 1200 in my Aztec. The unit itself is nice and works well. The JPI is better. Also, the technical support at Insight is bad, as is their quality control (so I've found).

The only real thing I don't like about the Insight itself is that it won't automatically scroll through the numbers like the JPI will.

Not what you asked, but Greg already answered that. :)

Isn't GEM the one that will only download data to some circa-1994 HP palmtop computer??

Isn't GEM the one that will only download data to some circa-1994 HP palmtop computer??

My GEM 602 won't download data to anything.

iirc, the 602 doesn't have the download functionality.

Why is there that "HP computer" restriction?

Is it because they supply the download software only for say MS-DOS?

Why is there that "HP computer" restriction?

Is it because they supply the download software only for say MS-DOS?

IIRC, the HP Palmtop computer interfaced with the GEM via an infrared link with a protocol unique to the HP. It doesn't sound like it should be too difficult for someone to reverse engineer this connection and provide an alternative bit of software and hardware (an optical link on USB or RS232) that would make a workable substitute. Perhaps that's already been done?

That is really hopeless.

Why not go for this company instead?

IIRC, the HP Palmtop computer interfaced with the GEM via an infrared link with a protocol unique to the HP. It doesn't sound like it should be too difficult for someone to reverse engineer this connection and provide an alternative bit of software and hardware (an optical link on USB or RS232) that would make a workable substitute. Perhaps that's already been done?

not sure if it's been done, but sounds like that could be a fun little project
right up my alley. I also have a Gem 610
that I could use it for.

Back