Engine Monitor Data interpretation

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Reading the Savvy Aviator and thinking about our recent 4-cylinder replacement, got me to thinking about the misplaced value of having an engine monitor (we don't :confused:) without the knowledge of how to interpret the data.

While I can take the time to read such articles, that will not be common enough for most people. Of course I have no actual data to support my assertions, it is speculative based on what I've read on PoA from CFI Flight Reviews, so please feel free to correct if my assumptions are errant.

My point is: Is there someone out there teaching this stuff, perhaps willing to sit in a room and conduct a seminar (and maybe sell a few monitors at the end)?

Mods, I wasn't sure if this belonged in this forum or not, feel free to move.

Can't vouch for the others, but the Pilot's Guide to the JPI is pretty good on the subject. You can download it from their website. They even have few videos to walk you around it.

Ron, I don't think RTFM satisfies. But I could be wrong.

Walt Atkinson of Advanced Pilot Seminars does engine management seminars, including discussion of engine monitoring devices both in person and on-line. See http://www.advancedpilot.com/ for more. Not cheap, but all indications are you get what you pay for.

The pilots guide and the videos do a pretty good job of showing you how to read the data. But they assume that you understand what the data means, and that you know what to do if the data is not what you expect it to be. I suppose that would require more mechanical explanation of how engines work than how the monitor itself works though. But I could see that it might help sell monitors if they would conduct classes on things like CHT and EGT and how they are related and how they are different and what you need to do if the values are too high or too low. And even help explain what the values should be in the first place. Or instead of classes, maybe just more you-tube videos.

I know that i learned a lot about aircraft engines by watching my EDM700 and researching everything I didn't understand. That was a lot of research, and I still don't fully understand it all.

If I read his website correctly Mike with Savy will evaluate your engine monitor data for free. I think you just send it to him and he prints it out to review.

I don't think you have to be an EAA member, I watch their seminars all the time

They have a great assortment of both informational and entertaining videos. They also host Mike Busch the first Wednesday of every month with a live seminar. If you miss it it can be viewed on the EAA site with in a week or two. If you get on the mailing list you will get an e-mail that allows you to register for the seminar. Takes just over an hour and I always learning something new.

Ted,

You should consider hosting some webinars so you can get your information out to more people. You have a great deal to share.

By the way, there are some videos out on YouTube that may be helpful as well.

Walt Atkinson of Advanced Pilot Seminars does engine management seminars, including discussion of engine monitoring devices both in person and on-line. See http://www.advancedpilot.com/ for more. Not cheap, but all indications are you get what you pay for.

I'm looking for something to appeal to average Joe Pilot. 2-1/2 days out of town may be a bit of overkill for what I want to accomplish, and may not have expressed clearly enough, which is my fault.

I'd need to not only lead to the water but make him thirsty enroute. I don't believe that average Joe is thirsty. But his pockets are getting lighter and he doesn't even understand it.:nonod:
And if he doesn't get it soon, he'll have no money for water.

Last edited:
Ted, I meant no disrespect. Standby for PM

None taken. :)

Ted,

You should consider hosting some webinars so you can get your information out to more people. You have a great deal to share.

Well, I tried marketing my engine management teaching abilities for over a year and got two takers in that time period. I haven't really considered the webinar method because nobody had expressed interest in such a thing. Or if they did, it was a small enough number to not make it worth my while.

APS has the market pretty cornered on this subject. Although I believe that they wouldn't state some of the things they do if they were a larger company that was the target of expensive lawsuits, most of what they say is good information.

I'm looking for something to appeal to average Joe Pilot. 2-1/2 days out of town may be a bit of overkill for what I want to accomplish, and may not have expressed clearly enough, which is my fault.
Did you look at Walt's on-line presentations?

That said, if you really want an in-person seminar at your location, you're asking for something which will have to be very expensive. The cost of getting someone qualified to the site and compensating him/her appropriately is going to be in the thousands of dollars. How many people can you get together at your location at a given time to split that cost? Since you're in the DC area, where there are a lot of pilots around who might want this, you might be able to work something out, but for most places, it's not feasible.

Did you look at Walt's on-line presentations?

That said, if you really want an in-person seminar at your location, you're asking for something which will have to be very expensive. The cost of getting someone qualified to the site and compensating him/her appropriately is going to be in the thousands of dollars. How many people can you get together at your location at a given time to split that cost? Since you're in the DC area, where there are a lot of pilots around who might want this, you might be able to work something out, but for most places, it's not feasible.

I'm mulling over both ideas.

If I read his website correctly Mike with Savy will evaluate your engine monitor data for free. I think you just send it to him and he prints it out to review.

That doesn't do you much good while you're in the airplane, though.

I think the idea is to gather the information so you know what your looking at in the airplane. Such as what will you see if a plug is fowled or what will the instrument tell you if you have a dirty injector. I think that is what he is looking for.

I'm just trying to break the knowledge barrier to gain support for spending money on an engine monitor that no one else thinks is worthwhile.

I'm just trying to break the knowledge barrier to gain support for spending money on an engine monitor that no one else thinks is worthwhile.

The best reason for the monitor I was told, and the reason I installed one with the TOH last year was it enables you to monitor with greater precision each cylinder during operation and spot trends as they develop in the general health of your engine and to see an immediate issue/anomoly/potential failure of a given cyliinder the moment it happens. Personally, I also wanted to monitor my oil temps and charging system as well, so I added those probes to the package. YMMV

Having that level of information available to you to be able to use in flight, if necessary, or to report to your A&P is really valuable.

I will leave the debate about LOP/ROP etc. out of this comment.

Back