Engine hunting

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
How I spent my federal holiday was just too entertaining not to share.....kind of a buyer beware story....folks selling aviation stuff ain't necessarily the most honest people.

So, as some may know, the O-300 A in my 170 started making metal while I was relocating it from CA to VA last month and is stuck in Texas while I try to figure out what to do with the engine. Found a used O-300 D engine on TAP that looked like a great fit. 2500 TTSN, 450 SMOH. Seller wanted $8k which for the engine as advertised seemed reasonable considering it would likely cost around $20k to overhaul my engine and the overall value of the airplane itself is probably not worth spending that much on it, sadly.

So I call the guy up and this is what he tells me:

Airplane (172) was involved in a forced landing within the last year (pretty sure he told me 6-7 months ago, but I can't say for certain). Guy's partner was low on fuel and doing steep maneuvering below 1000'...engine quit and he set it down in a field. Prop stopped horizontally so no prop strike (still attached so verifiable). According to the owner, the only damage was to the carb and bottom of the oil pan when the nose gear collapsed. He tells me he has all of the logs. So, based on that and the opinion of several A&P IAs, I agree to purchase the engine and send him a deposit. It is only a 100 miles away so yesterday I go down there to check it out and pick it up with the owner of the CRS here in Norfolk that will be maintaining my plane.

After driving out in the boonies of NC, we get there and meet the guy. He shows us the airplane (engine was already removed at this point).....about what I was expecting based on the description plus a few other oddities.....two of the engine mounts are on the ground - completely sheared off. And the empenage seems quite beat up strangely. I notice that there is a rope around the tail and I ask the owner about the damage fully expecting him to tell me that it happened when they moved the aircraft. No.... he chuckles and says, 'heh, that's when the hurricane flipped the plane over onto its back....I told my partner that he needed to tie it down!' FWIW, the engine was still attached to the airframe when that happened. Hmmmm.....okay so now the CRS owner and myself are both scratching our heads wondering what else Bubba isn't telling us.

Well, we drive further to his house located right along the ICW. It is all sea level, so no suprise that his house is on stilts. He has the engine hanging from a hook under the house.....my first thought is that it looks like a deer hung up waiting to be butchered. The whole place has a feel like something out of the show 'Swamp People'.

Okay, so we look the engine over. Case looks pretty good. Cylinders look okay (externally). Exhaust stacks are both trashed. Mags and wiring harness look like hell. Pull put the dipstick (oil had obviously been drained) and what was left was solid black - very dirty looking oil. Nothing had been done to preserve/pickle the engine.

Now I look at the logs....or log I should say (He only has the most recent book). The logbook he gives me starts at 2100 TTSN in 1988 (the date of the last overhaul). So not only does he not have all the logs, but this engine has only run 450 hours over the last 25 years. And to top it off, the final entry is the last annual: summer of 2010. Hmmm, 'when did your partner wreck it?' we ask.....oh it was last year......so the airplane wasn't even in annual when the accident flight happened! I look it up on my iPhone....turns out the accident was actually 13 months ago, so this engine had been sitting outdoors unprotected with nothing but a tarp on it. The hair is standing up on the back of my neck.

I tell Bubba - no deal. Ain't no way I can give him anywhere near what he is asking for. He gets all upset and tells me that he has all kinds of people that he has been holding off that want the engine sight unseen......I tell him - 'great, then you should have no problem selling it to one of them!'

After some grumbling, he does give me back my deposit check and we head back, making a quick food stop at the only convenience store/lunch counter in the town. While waiting for our food, the guy working the grill notices the CRS owner's sweatshirt with his company logo and asks 'what ya'll doing down here?'. He tells him that we were down to look at an airplane engine to wich Larry the Cable Guy (which is a fairly accurate description of this fellow) saws, 'huh, you must have been looking at Bubba's airplane.....I'm the one that wrecked it!' Larry then proceeds to say something along the lines of 'don't tell Bubba I said this, but I'm sure that it had something to do with those old cans of MOGAS he was using to fill up the plane with.....that was actually the second time the engine dun quit on me!' The shop owner and I are looking at each other and trying not to lose it at this point......you can't make this stuff up.

When buying any used parts, deal with a reputable salvage yard.

What does Wentworth want for the 0-300-C they have?

you would be required to use a different prop but that is an easy do.

Is there an affordable STC so you can throw a Lyc 0320 or 0360 on there? It seems to me that a 180 hp would give new life and enjoyment into that plane.

Is there an affordable STC so you can throw a Lyc 0320 or 0360 on there? It seems to me that a 180 hp would give new life and enjoyment into that plane.

There are 5 total. 2 of which are in public domain.

How much metal is the engine making, and did you have an oil analysis done on it. It still maybe within range to fly assuming it isn't out of range with the factory recommendations.

I forget where to view the guidance for continental on this but there is guidance some place.

Last edited:
How much metal is the engine making, and did you have an oil analysis done on it. It still maybe within range to fly assuming it isn't out of range with the factory recommendations.

I forget where to view the guidance for continental on this but there is guidance some place.
The metal was from the magneto gear tooth that broke off and was ground into tiny bits. The only thing you can do with the current engine is to crack it open and inspect it to see how bad the damage is...if not bad, could be cleaned up and put back together, but it could easily cost as much as the rest of the airplane is worth to make it right.

He has the engine hanging from a hook under the house.....my first thought is that it looks like a deer hung up waiting to be butchered. The whole place has a feel like something out of the show 'Swamp People'.
.....you can't make this stuff up.

LMAO, thanks! That made my day! Hope your engine snafu works out!

This engine is a Continental 0-300-A, show me any SB that gives an allowable limit for metal in the oil in a Continental.

These -A crankshafts are as rare as chicken lips, ruin it and buy a new/different engine.

What does Wentworth want for the 0-300-C they have?

you would be required to use a different prop but that is an easy do.
It is sold. They have a couple of Ds that they want $4500 for. Both prop strikes though. Lots of exchangeable cores on the market and $4500 seems to be the going rate for a core.

It is sold. They have a couple of Ds that they want $4500 for. Both prop strikes though. Lots of exchangeable cores on the market and $4500 seems to be the going rate for a core.

How long do you plan on keeping the plane?

There are two O-300's on Ebay right now. One is a "minor" prop strike, the other has just been in storage a long time.

This engine is a Continental 0-300-A, show me any SB that gives an allowable limit for metal in the oil in a Continental.

These -A crankshafts are as rare as chicken lips, ruin it and buy a new/different engine.

I'm sure if you contact Contiental they can give you guidance similar to lycoming. Not really worth the research right now seeing as stated earlier this isn't a consideration. My only point was if it is a small amount of metal the engine may still be airworthy, but I don't know what Contientals guidance is on this, although I'm sure they will give you guidance as Lycoming does.

http://www.lycoming.com/support/publications/service-instructions/pdfs/SI1492D.PDF

Blackstone can also give what they consider normal ranges in their reports based on their corpus of results.

There are two O-300's on Ebay right now. One is a "minor" prop strike, the other has just been in storage a long time.
Minor prop strike means nothing....still got to tear it down and deal with what you find and then put it all back together. Ain't cheap.

The other one.....yeah, that has been in storage a Looooong time and probably even longer since the actual overhaul.

I'm sure if you contact Contiental they can give you guidance similar to lycoming. Not really worth the research right now seeing as stated earlier this isn't a consideration. My only point was if it is a small amount of metal the engine may still be airworthy, but I don't know what Contientals guidance is on this, although I'm sure they will give you guidance as Lycoming does.

http://www.lycoming.com/support/publications/service-instructions/pdfs/SI1492D.PDF

Blackstone can also give what they consider normal ranges in their reports based on their corpus of results.
Here is the problem....I suspect what you are referring to by the comment 'small amount of metal' is trace amounts that are discovered during oil analysis. That is the kind of stuff that comes from the metal parts wearing out over time.

Fine metal shavings that are sent into the oil distribution are a whole 'nother bag of worms and the ONLY thing you can safely do is to pull the engine apart, clean and inspect it and hope you aren't going to need a new crank.

Here is the problem....I suspect what you are referring to by the comment 'small amount of metal' is trace amounts that are discovered during oil analysis. That is the kind of stuff that comes from the metal parts wearing out over time.

Fine metal shavings that are sent into the oil distribution are a whole 'nother bag of worms and the ONLY thing you can safely do is to pull the engine apart, clean and inspect it and hope you aren't going to need a new crank.

Correct this doesn't apply to your case at all.

How long do you plan on keeping the plane?
That is kind of the problem.

My intention was to sell it in a year. I bought it somewhat as a project airplane. It needed paint and some definite TLC, but had a low time engine. Without any engine repairs I already have more in the plane than it is worth in the current market (but not too bad). Any money I put into repair or replacement I won't get back at all. But at the same time, not too many want to buy an airplane with no engine on it at all. So I am looking for the most economical but safe solution.

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say it. It might be more economical to parts out the plane.
I'd hate to see the plane parted out.....just looks too beautiful, and it is a good plane. But if someone offered me a fair amount for the fuselage and wanted to obtain and install their own engine, it would be a happy solution.

There was actually a guy that saw the plane at the museum who was interested by kind of got scared at the idea of dealing with changing out an engine (never had to deal with an overhaul before).

In a perfect world, my insurance company would come back and say that it is covered and I would then go for a fresh overhauled O-300 D.....but I'm still waiting to hear back on that one.

That is kind of the problem.

My intention was to sell it in a year. I bought it somewhat as a project airplane. It needed paint and some definite TLC, but had a low time engine. Without any engine repairs I already have more in the plane than it is worth in the current market (but not too bad). Any money I put into repair or replacement I won't get back at all. But at the same time, not too many want to buy an airplane with no engine on it at all. So I am looking for the most economical but safe solution.

LOL, a project plane for a year? Probably at this point your best option will be one of the public domain O-320 STCs for conversion.

You might have better luck buying a lightly used 0320 for that range and then pay the $1000 for the STC and convert it to lycoming.

Barnstormers has an O-300A for $2800.

Maybe you can pick up another 170 with corrosion issues or ground looped for less than the value of the engine?

LOL, a project plane for a year?
No I bought it a couple years ago. Bought it as a TW time builder with the intention of selling it a few years later. It had a lot of nickel and dime discreps, but the engine was good and it was structurally sound. Seller and I negotiated a fair price to account for a good chunk of the first annual and the paint. If it wasn't for this recent issue, it would have been a good time building deal and given a good life to a sad airplane in the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LOL, a project plane for a year? Probably at this point your best option will be one of the public domain O-320 STCs for conversion.

They are not supported for parts.

I talked to Tom Anderson last light, he is getting me numbers to upgrade my 48 to the IO-360 220 horse.

I was hoping to have the e-mail today, so far nothing.

If it is feasible $ wise I'll have a fresh 0-300-D for sale.

Back