Engine for my piet

John Recine

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John Recine
I had a line on an 0200 through barnstormers that was so good it scared me away from it. The unknowns were issues that appeared to me as negatives so I passed on it. I realize that the engine selection process is a bit premature, however if I can find a core 0200 or 0235 or better yet a complete engine with logs at a good price that would be my preference. The piet can use most anything from a 40hp Model A to 150hp something else and most everything in between depending on weight and other variables.

My two other choices are the Corvair 140 hp spider engine air cooled or one of the Subaru engines EA81 or better hp.

If any knows of any of those 4 that may be available or becoming available in the near future please let me know.

My build schedule is to do wood work during the colder months indoors, metal work outdoors in the warmer months and engine work outdoors and in depending on degreasing and disassembly requirements.

Not really certain about the validity of the plan , but its a plan nonetheless.

Anyone having engine knowledge, availability or thoughts on my power plant choices or suggestions of alternatives please advise. Right now its early enough in the build that I can allow the power plant to dictate some of my build choices.

John

My J-3 replica is similarly powered, the recommended engines being from 65-100 hp. The engine weight seems to have more influence than anything else. This article is good advice: http://www.lightminiatureaircraft.com/What Engine.htm

I'm planning on an A65, because they're simple, high-torque, moderate weight, cheap ($2-5k) and reliable, and designed for airplanes. Consider that the additional HP of an auto conversion is largely used to drag around the extra engine, radiator, and reduction drive weight. Not that I'm trying to talk you out of the Corvair or Subaru, of course. Have you considered a Great Plains VW conversion?

I looked into them. They seem great, and very light weight. I decided against them because they cost a fortune, and they rev pretty high (3300 RPM at rated power), and that translates into more propeller noise and engine wear. The Cont. C85, by comparison, gets rated HP at 2575 RPM.

and they rev pretty high (3300 RPM at rated power), and that translates into more propeller noise and engine wear.

I wouldn't be too concerned about engine wear if it was designed for it. My motorcycle gets best power at about 11,000 RPM. I do know that it'll run along for days at 8,000 RPM without a concern. Temperatures and wear seems to be fine. 22 years old and compression is still perfect. Go Honda.

I think I'd be more concerned about the history of the engine and if it has proven itself. It's hard to argue with the reliability of the A65.

I'd Call a salvage yard, and see what they have

IIRC, the Piet was originally intended for a Ford Model A engine. Gotta call a museum for one of those! When designed, there were millions of those motors in salvage yards. Times sure change.

If you want to shoot me an email, I have an O-200 1325 with great compressions.

Other stuff you might be interested in too.

Keep us posted on the build.

Last edited:
Actually I have in my garage, 2 model A blocks one head and some parts, I like the look and sound of the old A but I need more than 45 hp. I also have 2.2 L OHC ford pinto engine, complete brand new and never run. The Lima engine has too much weight for the horse power and I cant seem to find any hp upgrade kits that will generate the hp at lower RPM so too many drawbacks to that one also.

I know I got time to look around, if you hear of something I may be interested in the private market send them my way. I am always willing to discuss options.

Thanks

John

Back