Engine failure

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Finally! A friend had an engine failure, knew what to do, he and family are unharmed, aircraft will fly again someday. He'll be publishing his story, I'm sure, but here are some gems from his email.

Aviate to Best Glide Speed. Don't turn, don't talk, don't fiddle with the engine controls, just trim the plane to hold Best Glide Speed hands-off, or a speed that holds altitude.

Navigate to a landing site. Identify the best landing site within gliding distance, and turn towards it.
-How do you know how far you can glide? I decided that 10 nm at 10,000' would be a reasonable go/no-go distance, or 1 nm per 1000' of altitude as the thumbrule. I checked that against the C152s, C172s, C177s, C182s, PA28s, S24Rs, and M20Js I flew or taught in, and it seemed to fit all of them nicely.

Fix or Fly: This is a decision point.
-If you're above Traffic Pattern Altitude, then do an Engine Failure flow- in a Complex plane it's GUMPS, in a Cessna it's the Inverted-L.

-If you're below TPA, then don't try to recover the engine, don't do a flow, just focus all your attention on flying the aircraft to a safe landing.

Communicate: You only get to this step if you're above TPA, and the engine recovery attempt has been unsuccessful. This is a confirmed emergency. Here you call ATC and tell them what you're doing, how many with you, and what's wrong.

Glad it all worked out!

I hadn't heard of the "Inverted L"?

Typical Emergency Flows
Let's take a typical training aircraft and see how we can use a flow to rapidly deal with an emergency. For this example we'll consider an engine failure in a Cessna 172. If the engine fails at altitude, the first order of business after assuming best glide speed, selecting a forced landing site, and turning in the proper direction is to attempt to restart the engine. The flow pattern for this procedure takes the shape of an inverted L pattern in the cockpit.

The engine restart flow pattern starts with checking the fuel selector located between the two front seats to make sure it is in one of the on positions. Next, move up to the lower, center part of the instrument panel and work across from right to left, beginning with the mixture. The mixture should be set to the full rich position and the throttle retarded to idle then slowly advanced. (Moving the throttle plate on the carburetor may dislodge ice, and readjusting the throttle after the mixture has been reset may encourage the engine to run again.) Next, the carburetor heat should be turned on. Moving to the left, check the magnetos, then verify that the primer is in and locked. This flow pattern contains all of the elements on the emergency checklist, yet the entire pattern takes only seconds to complete.

Source: http://flighttraining.aopa.org/magazine/1999/October/199910_Features_Go_with_the_Flow.html

I like the inverted -L flow....nice and easy to remember....thank you for posting it.

I hadn't heard of the "Inverted L"?

Interesting. I thought that was really common.

The only thing I don't like about it is you'll take a while getting over to the primer, and one of those unlocked is almost always more likely than the fuel selector valve being anywhere but "Both" on a Cessna... most folks never move the darn thing. I swear the on/off was almost seized in the C-150 I soloed in. Folks said "just leave it alone".

Interesting. I thought that was really common.

The only thing I don't like about it is you'll take a while getting over to the primer, and one of those unlocked is almost always more likely than the fuel selector valve being anywhere but "Both" on a Cessna... most folks never move the darn thing. I swear the on/off was almost seized in the C-150 I soloed in. Folks said "just leave it alone".

Ugh, that makes absolutely no sense unless they are pencil whipping annuals. That valve wil have to work once a year. If you only work it once a year your chances of failure increase.

Ugh, that makes absolutely no sense unless they are pencil whipping annuals. That valve wil have to work once a year. If you only work it once a year your chances of failure increase.

Yep. Airplane was a total beater when I flew it in 1991, not knowing any better. CFI was a bit leery of it too. He talked me into changing hardware before we got into X-C training. He knew I was broke back then and we got through solo in the beater.

I looked up the N-number and it ended up at flight school in Kansas. Keep meaning to go visit and see if they gave it some TLC or if it's still a beater.

What do you do when the engine is still running, and there is only one?

Rough running engine isn't a failure to me, sorry I missed that. My program on that is a bit more advanced than just sticking to a flow because I will have some indication by the type of rough whether I have a fuel (either starvation or flooding) or ignition issue, then I go from most likely for the suspected condition to least likely of what I do not suspect. If it is really rough and I can't fix it, I feather and land.

No one has commented yet on how wrong it is that the thread started with the word "Finally!" for an engine failure. Hahaha. I get the sentiment that it's good the training "finally" got used, but... really? ;)

No one has commented yet on how wrong it is that the thread started with the word "Finally!" for an engine failure. Hahaha. I get the sentiment that it's good the training "finally" got used, but... really? ;)
Too many times lately, when someone I know has an engine failure, no one ever walked away. Finally a good outcome for an unfortunate event.

I imagine the engine will be completely replaced and who knows what else from the firewall forward, but the plane will be recoverable. It was not simply running rough. Good planning, foresight, and skill saved the day.

Aviate to Best Glide Speed. Don't turn, don't talk, don't fiddle with the engine controls, just trim the plane to hold Best Glide Speed hands-off, or a speed that holds altitude.
Actually it's been shown to go to best glide. Even if that means gaining altitude.
Communicate: You only get to this step if you're above TPA, and the engine recovery attempt has been unsuccessful. This is a confirmed emergency. Here you call ATC and tell them what you're doing, how many with you, and what's wrong.
Actually, I'd not bother with worrying about ATC. I'll key the radio on whatever frequency I am on. In the three times I've made the emergency call, once I was on the tower frequency which resulted in a precautionary rolling of the equipment, in the other two cases it was the CTAF and resulted in people getting out of my way for the return to the runway.

When all else fails, fly the airplane.

Glad to hear of a good out come.

I have had 3 engine outs over the years, all with ultra lights. You just land the plane and fix what broke. :D

When all else fails fly the airplane. ;)

Last edited:
Rough running engine isn't a failure to me, sorry I missed that. My program on that is a bit more advanced than just sticking to a flow because I will have some indication by the type of rough whether I have a fuel (either starvation or flooding) or ignition issue, then I go from most likely for the suspected condition to least likely of what I do not suspect. If it is really rough and I can't fix it, I feather and land.
What constitutes engine failure? These are the indications that, when continuous, come to my mind as engine failures. I may be wrong.

• Engine roughness, vibration, surging.
  • Unexpected engine noise.
  • Overheat.
  • Oil hitting the windshield or oil pressure loss.
  • Engine stops or loses significant power.

Regarding trimming for best glide.

I was taught, on a properly rigged 1xx Cessna, that if you roll the trim all the way aft it'll settle in very close to best glide. It worked well on both planes I've owned and is a real time saver in an emergency.

YMMV.

What does feathering the prop have to do with a single?
Probably nothing. But, if flying (er...coasting) behind a CS prop, then going to "fine pitch" will greatly decrease drag and increase glide. At least it does in my 182.

Last edited:
Regarding trimming for best glide.

I was taught, on a properly rigged 1xx Cessna, that if you roll the trim all the way aft it'll settle in very close to best glide. It worked well on both planes I've owned and is a real time saver in an emergency.

YMMV.

Probably nothing. But, if flying (er...coasting) behind a CS prop, then going to "fine pitch" will greatly decrease drag and increase glide. At least it does in my 182.

What is going to keep the prop in fine pitch with an engine failure?

What constitutes engine failure? These are the indications that, when continuous, come to my mind as engine failures. I may be wrong.

• Overheat.

To me the engine hasn't 'failed' until it stops making power, until then it's only partial. Just personal usage of semantics is all.

Correct, but he meant to say 'coarse pitch' as he was referring to reducing drag.

True, I had it backwards. Pulling the prop to coarse pitch reduces drag. I shouldn't type in the morning before my third cup of coffee.

If the engine is windmilling with oil pressure, that.

True again. At least it is on my 182, unless the loss of oil/pressure was the cause of the failure

To me the engine hasn't 'failed' until it stops making power, until then it's only partial. Just personal usage of semantics is all.

That being the case, in the above scenarios, at what point do you decide to
  • aviate to best glide or level flight
  • navigate to suitable landing spot
  • fix or fly
  • communicate an emergency

Last edited:
  • fix or fly

Anytime the plane isn't performing to standards to the point I question continued flight.

• Overheat.

• fix or fly

Anytime the plane isn't performing to standards to the point I question continued flight.
OK. I can stop worrying now. And, just to make my thread title seem more accurate to you, my friend's engine seized on final. After he had chosen a destination, realized he wouldn't make it, chose another, ATC had stacked a couple of inbound airliners into a hold, crash trucks were deployed, and tower had reminded him a couple of times that his landing gear was not down yet.

Nevertheless, it lasted long enough to get him to the airport runway.

Last edited:
While communicate is always going to be the third thing to do I would argue that if your going down it really behooves you to let someone know where you are going down so they can start the rescue operations. Even if your below TPA someone needs to know what is going on.

Personally I don't have any problems communicating an emergency at the same time as handling it. One hand is still on the yoke with the PTT. :dunno:

Personally I don't have any problems communicating an emergency at the same time as handling it. One hand is still on the yoke with the PTT. :dunno:

Different folks multitask under pressure with vastly different levels of success. I'm fairly good at it, I know many that are not - which is exactly why we have heirarchy of critical functions - Aviate is first and foremost. If you can do that and still get something else done, then get it done. If not, concentrate on the top priority and let the rest fall.

I hate engine failures. I've had 6 of them. About half of them are my own damn fault. It's hard for me to fly around in a single-engine airplane anymore without thinking about where I'm gonna land. Both Peggy's and Henning methods have merit. What most will tell you after their first forced landing is they probably changed their mind about where to land about 5 times...hard to see issues like telephone wires and stuff. Made a forced landing in a de Havilland Beaver with a very rough running engine on what I thought was a nice straight dirt road in British Columbia. What I couldn't tell from the air was it was quite hilly, and after I touched down I immediately went careening over a burm at about 50kts, dust flying everywhere, and slammed back in to the road after it started back up. Just scared the bejesus out of me...when I got stopped I just sat there with my knees shaking.

I always thought that when the fan stopped turning (or went rough), the first thing to do was to undo the last thing you did. I haven't had my engine failure yet but did have a complete electrical failure 10 miles out of the airport.
How you deal with emergencies depends on how you train. If you haven't done it recently, go get some time with an instructor and go through some basic scenarios. (Then take the credit towards your next WINGS/Flight Review. Two birds.)
As to communicating, I usually switch the radio to the local field frequency or the local approach. That way, you just click the mike, announce your situation, and let them do what they need to do.
Keep it simple.

What ever happened to A B C?

Airspeed

Best Field

Checklist

Works every time - solves all your problems. Above 700AGL to perhaps 1500 you have options - for about 1 second. Below 700 AGL, you get 30 degrees either side of the nose- find somewhere to land. It does not have to be perfect - it just has to be better than everywhere else. Above that- well - hopefully you will gain altitude as to slow down to Vg.

Good one Bruce, typical air force puke - eject! . I always like the old joke about the 'dreaded seven engine landing . . .'

Last edited:
I've seen several engine failures in flight that the pilot never knew it until they noticed all the sparkles on the dip stick. pulled the filter and went OMG.

How can you have an in-flight engine failure and not notice it?

What ever happened to A B C?

Airspeed

Best Field

Checklist

Works every time - solves all your problems. Above 700AGL to perhaps 1500 you have options - for about 1 second. Below 700 AGL, you get 30 degrees either side of the nose- find somewhere to land. It does not have to be perfect - it just has to be better than everywhere else. Above that- well - hopefully you will gain altitude as to slow down to Vg.

Good one Bruce, typical air force puke - eject! . I always like the old joke about the 'dreaded seven engine landing . . .'
That is good. Pretty much the same thing, except my friend includes "Communicate" and a more detailed explanation of what each item means.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back