Engine failure on 121.5

neilki

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
neilki
hi folks
Airline crew listening to guard this afternoon 2pmish est.
A very distressed female pilot with apparent engine failure. Northern MI (We were LGA-MKE)
From what we could hear over an elt another pilot was helping her restart..
anyone know more. It was harrowing to overhear. Hope she's ok..

Must of got it restarted. I'd think we'd of seen at least a local report by now if they went down.

I checked ASN and didn't see any new reports in that area. Hopefully she faired out okay!

I haven't read a thing about it, but I am thinking if the ELT was going off that it might be too late for a restart.

One time on a summer holiday weekend I heard a loud primal scream over CTAF that was cut off suddenly. One of those days where CTAF is almost unusable because of so many airports sharing the same frequency, and many airplanes flying. I never heard if anything crashed anywhere.

Yesterday I tuned up 121.5 to listen then a guy said to shut up. Turned out my passenger, who I was letting hold the plane straight, was doing so with his hand on the push to talk...
Never something I have ever even considered before. Learn something new every time

Yesterday I tuned up 121.5 to listen then a guy said to shut up. Turned out my passenger, who I was letting hold the plane straight, was doing so with his hand on the push to talk...
Never something I have ever even considered before. Learn something new every time
giphy.gif

That's the exact face I made. I suppose that's why you put it on com2 and listen only. It's just so easy to tune on the 750
Yes. It should be on Com2, unless needed. Best way to prevent that from happening again.

Last edited:
Back