Engine Dies due to much fuel? Or vapor lock?

brcase

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
Flying a C182 last night which has been convereted to a IO470 (260hp). We did a few departure stalls near full power, then flew level for about a minute to make sure the CHT's were below 360. Did a couple power off stalls. We then simulated a full flap approach with a go-around. We were at about 5000ftmsl (2500AGL) Density altitude was probably 7500 ft. We were running pretty rich and added power pretty quickly for the Go-around, no -response from the engine. Throttle was all the way in and we had no power. Confirmed still onboth fuel tanks, and started a turn for an emergency landing. Reduced the power about an inch and power came back. OAT was about 80F.

My 1st thought was that running at low power after some high power settings is that we may have vapor locked and we were in the process of turning on the fuel pump as we regained power, but didn't get it turned on. The power loss probably lasted about 5 seconds (but seemed like 15 or more)

My 2nd thought is that we had the engine running so rich and added power so quickly that we might have flooded the engine (to rich for ignition) since it isn't burning fuel and continues to add fuel it kept it to rich. Reducing the throttle may have helped especially if the engine has an enrichment feature at full throttle, which I don't know if it has or not. Since the engine regained power as we reduced the throttle it would seem to indicate this might be the case. Afterward I noted we were at 25"MP and burning about 20gph where we had the mixture set.

Anyone else have any similar experiences, recommendations?
I am recommending we investigate further what caused it and/or see if we can replicate it under safe conditions. Would hate to have that happened during a real go-around.

Brian

Too much fuel would be my first guess. Were you leaned for altitude or were you full rich?

I am pretty sure we were way to rich for the altitude, certainly not leaned for cruise. Mixture about about 3/4 of an inch out and my guess is that engine should be burning about 14-16gph at 25" of MP. We were closer to 20gph.

Brian

Back