Engine Compartment Fuel & Oil Line Mx Requirements

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
Anybody know of specific requirements for the replacement of engine fuel and oil lines. This is one of those things that I'm certain I've run across before, but can't find anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anybody know of specific requirements for the replacement of engine fuel and oil lines. This is one of those things that I'm certain I've run across before, but can't find anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends on the airplane. So whatchya go?

You want an OEM requirement, a manufacturer's requirement or a regulatory one?

Depends on the airplane. So whatchya go?

You want an OEM requirement, a manufacturer's requirement or a regulatory one?

I own an AA-5B Tiger. I am interested in looking over all of the material. I will certainly do the minimums. In as much as the airplane is IFR capable, I would consider added expense to ensure reliability.

I consider the engine an important safety feature. Those hoses certainly have a finite service life. I have no idea what it is. It would be insane to have it cut out at night or in IMC simply because I let a $20.00 hose get too old.

We pulled lines off my airplane that were 50 years old (which was amazing because at the time my aircraft was only 48 years old).

I own an AA-5B Tiger. I am interested in looking over all of the material. I will certainly do the minimums. In as much as the airplane is IFR capable, I would consider added expense to ensure reliability.

I consider the engine an important safety feature. Those hoses certainly have a finite service life. I have no idea what it is. It would be insane to have it cut out at night or in IMC simply because I let a $20.00 hose get too old.

I do not have access to a Grumman Service manual but here is a comparrision for you.

Cessna says (not a regulatory requirement) for engine flammable fluid lines ie fuel and oil (really should SAY "liquid" IMHO :goofy:):

Rubber hoses are to be replace every 5 years or at engine overhaul whichever is first.

PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene otherwise known as Teflon) hoses are to be replaced every 10 years or at engine overhaul whichever is first.

Vacuum Hoses are 10 years (even tho its just a rubber hose too :dunno:)

PTFE are about $80 to $120 each.

A Cessna 177 has a goofy fuel system with two pumps in parallel so more hoses than yours probably does.

Cessna also says that throttle, prop, mixture, carb heat controls and rubber engine vibration isolators should be replace at engine overhaul.

Last edited:
I'd just go off condition IMO,

If you want a number, if they are over 12 years old it wouldn't hurt to replace them.

Generally speaking, it's pretty well agreed that the fuel/oil hoses should be replaced at least every 10 years or on condition (checked during annual). The FAA's recommendation (and in some cases, AD mandate) is 8 years/1000 hours. Some folks replace every five years, but I do it at the 10-year mark even if they appear to still be good. There's a pretty good discussion on this here. The date the hose was fabricated should be stamped on a tag attached to the hose.

The date the hose was fabricated should be stamped on a tag attached to the hose.

Sometimes wont find any and no long entry exists (see picture above). New hoses will have tags if buying assemblies.

Sometimes wont find any and no long entry exists (see picture above). New hoses will have tags if buying assemblies.
If the hose is so old that it has no tag, and you can't find a maintenance record entry for it, it's probably time to replace it no matter what it looks like from the outside. And if you fabricate the hose, you're supposed to fabricate a tag for it, too -- with the date.

If the hose is so old that it has no tag, and you can't find a maintenance record entry for it, it's probably time to replace it no matter what it looks like from the outside. And if you fabricate the hose, you're supposed to fabricate a tag for it, too -- with the date.

Reference?

There is no requirement to change any hose that has no AD against it.

What the manufacturer recommends is not a requirement.

Just remember, what's cheap isn't always best, What's best isn't always cheap.

Teflon and stainless steel hoses have no required life replacement. EVER

I do not have access to a Grumman Service manual but here is a comparison for you.

Actually, the servicing schedule is in the AA5B AMM CH 5, and I had even set a copy aside to use as a checklist for the upcoming annual, but hadn't really looked at it yet.

Your post jarred my memory, and went through it end to end. The manufacturer did recommended 5 years.

Thanks for all responses.

Back