Engine compartment cable ties

Exocetid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Exocetid
I have found a number of cable ties in my engine compartment (IO-360-A1A) that secure the leads coming out of the CHT probes to the spark plug wires. I have wondered about flammability issues and have not had a need to remove one yet, but if I do, what is the recommended replacement?

I have seen that some ties (Aircraft Spruce) are made to the SAE AS 3361 spec, but I haven't been able to find where that is described. Likewise, some are to mil spec, but does that necessarily mean that they are OK for the engine compartment?

I am slowly trying to remove all the nylon tiewraps from my eng. comp.
If they are on the tubular engine mount, they can damage it.
And it seems they never last very long anyway because of the heat.

Cushioned clamps are about the best, MS21919.

I am slowly trying to remove all the nylon tiewraps from my eng. comp.
If they are on the tubular engine mount, they can damage it.
And it seems they never last very long anyway because of the heat.

Cushioned clamps are about the best, MS21919.

AFaIK, there are version of the plastic ties that hold up well in the engine compartment heat. As to the wear issue, it's true that a plastic tie can wear through metal if it's not secure. I definitely wouldn't put one directly on an engine mount.

Learn to tie the knot, and use spot tie.

The first thing I did with my Cherokee was replace every zip tie with Adel clamps.

AFaIK, there are version of the plastic ties that hold up well in the engine compartment heat. As to the wear issue, it's true that a plastic tie can wear through metal if it's not secure. I definitely wouldn't put one directly on an engine mount.

Those are what I am looking for. This is not a new plane ('65 Mooney), so the ties have been used for some time without deleterious effects. I don't recall seeing any on the engine mounts.

The last ten years of annuals have been with a Mooney Service Center (MSC). i don't want to change the method, I just want to know where to buy the ties. I'll just ask the MSC in a couple of weeks.

Those are what I am looking for. This is not a new plane ('65 Mooney), so the ties have been used for some time without deleterious effects. I don't recall seeing any on the engine mounts.

The last ten years of annuals have been with a Mooney Service Center (MSC). i don't want to change the method, I just want to know where to buy the ties. I'll just ask the MSC in a couple of weeks.

http://www.sourceresearch.net/Work/quickstore.cfm?ProductID=40416&do=detail

Thanks, finally.

I discovered that the TYHT25M (not the TY25M) are the "High Temp" version, which takes them to 300 degrees, which as many of you who have CHT monitors will now is the working range of a cylinder head. I don't plan to tie these onto a head, but they are in close proximity, so these are the ones to have in the engine compartment.

The ties at Aircraft Spruce have no published specs as far as I can tell, so they are "just nylon" and thus only good to 185 degrees (F).

The link above would be fine for a shop (need to buy hundreds) but if you want a few, or just one, Newark will sell you however many you need. http://www.newark.com/thomas-betts/tyht25m/ty-rap-extra-high-temperature-cable/dp/48K5631

Last edited:
Back