Engine break in

Flying Ant

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flying Ant
Is it normal for plugs to foul more with new cylinders before they break in?

Yes, but not for long, modern cylinder and ring sets break in within a couple of hours. If you have extended issues and have been given the 'sage' advice of breaking them in 'full rich' that is what is causing your problem, rings seat in about 15 minutes when run at proper LOP mixtures. If you did it rich and have problems for more than a couple hours, you likely glazed the cylinders and they either need a shot with a hone or the injestion a slurry of Barkeepers Friend to break the glaze and allow the rings to seat.

Last edited:
I've see extra oil for a few hours a few times. Goes away quickly though.

Typically the problem is the rings, not the jugs.

For the last 20 years they have come as a kit. piston and rings already installed, with new valves, springs, keepers, all installed at the factory.

Only the dumb ones use used cylinders.

For the last 20 years they have come as a kit. piston and rings already installed, with new valves, springs, keepers, all installed at the factory.

Only the dumb ones use used cylinders.

That's what I mean, the rings in some of the kits are junk rings, but then I have also seen them installed upside down as well...:rolleyes2:

That's what I mean, the rings in some of the kits are junk rings, but then I have also seen them installed upside down as well...:rolleyes2:

I probably do a hundred cylinders to your one, I inspect each one and have yet to find any problems with new cylinders.

I do like the construction of the OEM Continental oil control ring, but have never had any problems with ECI's or Superiors either.

The folks that are having problems with new cylinders, are not following the manufacturers break-in instructions. They follow the instructions contained in the factory overhaul manual, that was written 50 years ago, and ignor the instructions that comes in every new cylinder box.

I probably do a hundred cylinders to your one, I inspect each one and have yet to find any problems with new cylinders.

I do like the construction of the OEM Continental oil control ring, but have never had any problems with ECI's or Superiors either.

The folks that are having problems with new cylinders, are not following the manufacturers break-in instructions. They follow the instructions contained in the factory overhaul manual, that was written 50 years ago, and ignor the instructions that comes in every new cylinder box.

Oh, I know that they mostly get screwed up by pilots.

I've experienced sticky valves on new jugs. And inspection showed that the clearance was too tight.

Every once in a while something slips by the inspection.

From that point on, I check valve clearance prior to installation. And if need be, run the proper reamer through the guide. Also a good time to inspect the rings, making certian they're installed properly.

From that point on, I check valve clearance prior to installation. And if need be, run the proper reamer through the guide.

You voided any warrantee on that cylinder as soon as you modified it.

I prefer to avoid using warranties, they mean i had a breakdown and i have to do more work.

i read his post as he inspected, found a clearance was of of tolerance and corrected it.

if that is the case he should have sent the cylinder back and got a better one.

I find almost every new cylinder has valve leaks, but after 5 minutes of run time they no longer leak. So, I quit lapping new valves.

Back