Engine break-in vs. IFR training?

PoAdeleted5

Deleted by User Request
Well, I bought my Cherokee 180 last year in anticipation of doing my instrument rating in it. However, that all got interrupted by needing to do an engine overhaul a lot sooner than expected.

So fast forward six months sitting on the ground, now I'm breaking in the new engine and just finished the annual. It seems to be settling in nicely, oil consumption is already doing fine and the fuel consumption is dropping to normal levels at about 14 hrs smoh.

I'm wondering about how long I should fly it on the break-in schedule before really considering doing the IR training in it? One complicating factor is this plane has an RPM restriction between 2150-2350 rpm (fixed pitch) which makes getting approach speeds and descent rates a bit tricky. I especially don't want to shock the motor while it is still seating the rings.

larrysb said:
Well, I bought my Cherokee 180 last year in anticipation of doing my instrument rating in it. However, that all got interrupted by needing to do an engine overhaul a lot sooner than expected.

So fast forward six months sitting on the ground, now I'm breaking in the new engine and just finished the annual. It seems to be settling in nicely, oil consumption is already doing fine and the fuel consumption is dropping to normal levels at about 14 hrs smoh.

I'm wondering about how long I should fly it on the break-in schedule before really considering doing the IR training in it? One complicating factor is this plane has an RPM restriction between 2150-2350 rpm (fixed pitch) which makes getting approach speeds and descent rates a bit tricky. I especially don't want to shock the motor while it is still seating the rings.
If oil consumption has gone down and engine temps are cooler, you're good to go! Not a mech!

bbchien said:
If oil consumption has gone down and engine temps are cooler, you're good to go! Not a mech!

Yep, that's pretty much what you're looking for, If he's got that, rock on and get the instrument work done. Besides, the first few hours of attitude flying can pretty much be done at high even power settings.

bbchien said:

That's exactly what I did. Seemed to be fine.

I posted earlier regarding another fella breaking in his new engine. What's been said above. Usually take five hours or less at high power settings. CHTs drop and oil consumption stabilizes.

Best,

Dave
A-36TN ADS

Back