Engine Accessories.

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Under FAR 43-A Para (2)
(iii) Installation of an accessory which is not approved for the engine.

would an oil temperature gauge be an accessory?

Let's say you remove an old OEM oil temperature gauge can you replace it with an after market?

How do you define an "accessory"? Better yet, how does the FAA define one?

How do you define an "accessory"? Better yet, how does the FAA define one?
That's my question. IOWs is an oil temp gauge required to be certified to the engine.

I have no clue, the old OEM Cessna oil temp gauges are getting difficult to find, but there are several after market that will work.

If you used an after market, what paper?

No problems, no worries, we found a direct replacement on e-bay.. $115.00 its on the way.

I'd still like to find the answer.

will call FSDO in the morning

An accessory is an appliance, part, mechanism, equipment, or apparatus that is used or intended to be used in operating or controlling an aircraft in flight, is installed in or attached to the aircraft, and is not part of an airframe, aircraft engine, or propeller.

An oil temp gauge is an accessory.

An accessory is an appliance, part, mechanism, equipment, or apparatus that is used or intended to be used in operating or controlling an aircraft in flight, is installed in or attached to the aircraft, and is not part of an airframe, aircraft engine, or propeller.

then as you interperate (sp) the oil temp gauge must be approved for the engine?

(iii) Installation of an accessory which is not approved for the engine.

Last edited:
First, we both know oil temp gauges used in piston aircraft are low quality and there are better options, but the change requires a field approval from the FAA or an STC because the replacement effects the original type certificate for the aircraft.

Funny how that definition differs from 14 CFR 1.1 which states:
“Appliance means any instrument, mechanism, equipment, part, apparatus, appurtenance, or accessory, including communications equipment, that is used or intended to be used in operating or controlling an aircraft in flight, is installed in or attached to the aircraft, and is not part of an airframe, engine, or propeller.”

In one it appears that appliance is a subset of accessory while in the other it is the other way around.

No problems, no worries, we found a direct replacement on e-bay.. $115.00 its on the way.

I'd still like to find the answer.

will call FSDO in the morning
Why do you feel that an STC for a particular make and model of aircraft wouldn't comply? For example, if I had a Cessna 150-C, the link in post #4 lists that plane in the STC.
14 CFR § 21.113 seems to apply in that the FAA provides the approval.

Why do you feel that an STC for a particular make and model of aircraft wouldn't comply? For example, if I had a Cessna 150-C, the link in post #4 lists that plane in the STC.
14 CFR § 21.113 seems to apply in that the FAA provides the approval.
I don't understand your question/ statement.
Are you saying that I should use an STC, even when I have a gauge of the same P/N as the original?
And OBTW, we have discovered a company that repairs these old instruments. So, that kinda takes the pressure off using something different.
http://www.antiqueinstrument.com/

I don't understand your question/ statement.
Are you saying that I should use an STC, even when I have a gauge of the same P/N as the original?
And OBTW, we have discovered a company that repairs these old instruments. So, that kinda takes the pressure off using something different.
http://www.antiqueinstrument.com/

No- if it is same part number as the original, it is an approved part.

The question/statement was based on these comments:
Let's say you remove an old OEM oil temperature gauge can you replace it with an after market?

I have no clue, the old OEM Cessna oil temp gauges are getting difficult to find, but there are several after market that will work.

If I needed to replace the oil temperature gauge in a Cessna 150-C, the STC information provided in the link in post #4 should allow me to use that particular after-market gauge. Is this not correct?

An oil temp gauge is required by fars so it is required equipment for certification.so as with much aircraft maintenace the answer is maybe. Easy answers first. Oem part yes, Pma part yes, stced part yes. Since no part numbers are called out in the type certificates what about a tsoed gauge? It has a tso so it’s an aircraft pat can it be installed in a certain airframe? It’s not a major mod so I would say it’s up to the installing a&p. A non tsoed part? I think I would try to get a field approval because it’s a required instrument. Let us know what you pmi says.

Let us know what you pmi says.
PMI isn't answering the phone, and I'm not chasing this anymore.

thanks for the answers I got, but I think the FAR is pretty clear.

You answered your own question in post 3.

Back