Engaging starter while propeller is turning

Discussion in 'Lessons Learned' started by Pilot27, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Pilot27

Pilot27 Guest

A question about engaging the starter while the propeller is turning. I went to start the airplane and I was having a little difficulty getting it started. I turned the key which obviously engaged the starter at that point and as the engine acted like it was starting to catch I released the starter (but it hadn't quite started) it was still trying to light so I opened the throttle a little bit trying to get it started. As I was doing this, I turned the key for just a second to try to bring the starter back in for assistance. It eventually started after I opened the throttle a little more. The question is, is there anyway that by turning the key for literally just a second to engage the starter while the propeller was already spinning (but before the engine was started), could have caused any damage? The aircraft is a Cessna 172.

2. Pilot27

Pilot27 Guest

Btw, the reason I didn't keep the starter engaged until it completely started, was because this 172 has the Skytec Fast starter and you're only supposed to crank for 10 seconds with a 20 second test period between cranks. So I try to use the starter for as short as I can. The airplane has had some trouble starting which is why it didn't light immediately but it acted like it was getting close so I'll open a throttle a bit to assist.

3. coloradobluesky

coloradobluesky En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    coloradobluesky
    If the starter tries to engage while the engine is moving the gear of the starter is very likely to not be line up with the gear of the engine that it engages. So it is likely to either not engage, engage with clashing but no damage or engage in a damaging way. There usually isn't damage, but it can damage the starter cog or the engine cog. Some engines prevent it from trying to engage. So you're not supposed to do it.

If the starter works ok and cranks the engine reliably all the way around, there probably isnt any damage.

4. GRG55

GRG55 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    Engaging the starter when the engine is already turning is a classic way to chip or break a tooth on the starter ring.

TRocket likes this.
  5. unsafervguy

unsafervguy Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    bob
    if it had not quite fired up the bendix could have still been engaged in the flywheel, it takes a bit of inertia for it to retract. if it was retracted you should have heard it grind just like in a car when you do that.

bob

6. GlennAB1

GlennAB1 Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    GlennAB1
    They don't call it "crash engagement" for nothing.

SkyDog58 likes this.
  7. TRocket

TRocket Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Uncle Jesse
    Yeah, I would definitely not do that.

8. eman1200

eman1200 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    Can't u see the starter ring thingy from the front cowl opening?

9. mtuomi

mtuomi En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dera
    Depends on the engine. O-200/300 starter is in the back.

10. Ryanb

Ryanb En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    On most Lycomings it sits right at the front, next to the flywheel.

11. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Shouldn't need anywhere near 10 seconds, look into why its having a hard time starting, might be you, might be the priming system, might be plugs, ?

12. CJ Rader

CJ Rader Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    TIE-Fighter
    Had the same thing happen to me in a 172 and in a 152. In my case, I was so focused on trying to get it to turn over that when it did, I neglected to turn loose of the starter. Noob mistakes on my part.