Engagement photos with airplane

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Hi folks,

My fiancée would like us to get some engagement photos taken with the Mooney (you can see why I love her! :D), and we're looking for some ideas.

Is there somewhere in the Midwest that would make a neat backdrop? What kind of shots should we be looking for? Any photographers that might be good at doing such things?

Thanks!

we just hired a local photographer and had the glider assembled at the gliderport. they turned out nice.

one of the airports around Chicago might be able to give you a good skyline backdrop? Just off first thought

one of the airports around Chicago might be able to give you a good skyline backdrop? Just off first thought

Like, say, Meigs? :nonod:

Sadly, I don't think any of the remaining ones really are close enough for a good skyline.

grass runway is more picturesque in general but maybe not mooney-friendly. Iola?

Hi folks,

My fiancée would like us to get some engagement photos taken with the Mooney (you can see why I love her! :D), and we're looking for some ideas.

Is there somewhere in the Midwest that would make a neat backdrop? What kind of shots should we be looking for? Any photographers that might be good at doing such things?

Thanks!

I have lots of ideas....a long-time photographer and Mooney driver! Just come up to Mpls!

The heck with the midwest. You've got a traveling machine. Put it on the ramp a Salida, Granby, Telluride, Steamboat or other similar location and snap away. Set up a tripod a ways off and use a long lens to bring the mountains in close.

Of course you'd rather go to Idaho. Okay, that'll work too.

Gastons! June!

I'll bring good champagne!

We had ours taken with the plane (well, planes at that point) just at the home field. Turned out nice, but our photographer wasn't the best so they definitely weren't as good if they could have been. Who shoots the pictures is most important here.

C37, its grass, but plenty long enough, look them up, some nice places for pictures there

" . . . send pictures of boat and motor.":)

I submit using a bland or non-distracting background. You'll have 3 subjects in the picture- you, your fiancee', and a plane. Having an interesting background may well be too much for a single photograph, although some really good photographers can pull it off.

The heck with the midwest. You've got a traveling machine. Put it on the ramp a Salida, Granby, Telluride, Steamboat or other similar location and snap away. Set up a tripod a ways off and use a long lens to bring the mountains in close.

I like this idea

I submit using a bland or non-distracting background. You'll have 3 subjects in the picture- you, your fiancee', and a plane. Having an interesting background may well be too much for a single photograph, although some really good photographers can pull it off.

You would not need a good photgrapher to pull off a decent pic of the Tetons.... :yes:;)

Attachments

• 801 cabin 028.jpg
    801 cabin 028.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
Why is it that the first thing that popped into my head was the toolbag who had a picture of him, his beemer, a turboprop, and his wife/gf in front of his hangar?

Edit: No hangar, and it was a Lexus.

marcus-schrenker.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not gonna hate, wish i had some of those toys!

Why is it that the first thing that popped into my head was the toolbag who had a picture of him, his beemer, a turboprop, and his wife/gf in front of his hangar?

marcus-schrenker.jpg

I love the mountain idea!

I just organized an afternoon of pictures for some friends of mine with the King Air who are also getting married. They did a lot of different poses in different places in/around/on the plane. They also brought suitcases and made it look like they were going on a trip. They just used a local photographer. I'm told the pics turned out great.

I have to admit I do like that evening shot of the Lexus and the TBM? Very elegant!

Last edited:
You would not need a good photgrapher to pull off a decent pic of the Tetons.... :yes:;)
True. Just point the camera at those mountains and you have a nice picture.

You kinda proved my point. I think those mountains look so well that people will see a pretty girl, a plane, and the Tetons and no one will notice Nick :)

Hi folks,

Thanks!

How about Soldier Field with the Chicago skyline in the background?

You might want to do a search on Marcus Schrenker.

You're right. From the wikipedia site, after he faked his death - his first purchase was...

Without offering his name, he told the owners of the grounds that he was traveling cross country with friends, using cash to purchase a one-night tent site, firewood, and a six pack of Bud Light Lime.[20]

Hi folks,

Thanks!

Greetings, I am new here, but I did leave you a PM as I am a pilot, aerial and commercial professional photographer and I think I can help you.

Allan Goldstein
Chicago area. (847)533-8466
www.aerialimages-photo.com

Last edited:
Not sure if he is out of Jail yet, supposed to happen last year.

grass runway is more picturesque in general but maybe not mooney-friendly. Iola?

Iola's awesome, but it is definitely not a Mooney-friendly runway - It's one of the roughest around. :(

True, but we don't have much time to travel in the summer - We're in a musical group that rehearses every weekend but one each month until September - So it's gonna have to be an evening trip during the week or a quick day trip this Saturday - After that, we're going to the FlyBQ on our following free weekend and the next one after that is after July 4th, which is later than we'd like to do this.

Yeah, but Idaho is more of a 182 state than a Mooney state. ;)

Gastons! June!

I'll bring good champagne!

I'd love to! But, same problem as Colorado.

Turned out nice, but our photographer wasn't the best so they definitely weren't as good if they could have been. Who shoots the pictures is most important here.

I don't even know how to handle finding somebody good - How do you "audition" them, really? :dunno:

C37, its grass, but plenty long enough, look them up, some nice places for pictures there

Second weekend of September, maybe. ;) Unfortunately, based on what's in the A/FD I wouldn't take the Mooney there. Only one runway long enough, and half of it is "soft/rough" and the rest is listed as Fair condition.

So then... Ramp? Hangar?

True. Just point the camera at those mountains and you have a nice picture.

You kinda proved my point. I think those mountains look so well that people will see a pretty girl, a plane, and the Tetons and no one will notice Nick :)

Is Nick the photographer? :dunno: (Oh wait, I forgot. We're twins. But Nick is already married and lives in CO and doesn't fly a Mooney. ;))

But frankly, the pretty girl is all that matters. Well, and she wants an airplane in the picture. Maybe we could just stay in WI and I'll skip the session, then we won't need mountains. ;)

How about Soldier Field with the Chicago skyline in the background?

How dare you suggest a cheesehead take pictures of Soldier Field? Blasphemy!

I think maybe he meant something like I did with Meigs, which was right next to Soldier Field. :dunno: That's the only way to get the airplane anywhere close to there, and yer damn right I don't want pics in front of soldier field! :D

I just organized an afternoon of pictures for some friends of mine with the King Air who are also getting married. They did a lot of different poses in different places in/around/on the plane. They also brought suitcases and made it look like they were going on a trip. They just used a local photographer. I'm told the pics turned out great.

Like these?

airplaneengagement02.jpg

http://thelifeyoulovephotography.com/lainie-and-tobys-runway-engagements-in-tyler-tx/2012/09/12/

We also liked this:

0039airplane_engagement_ellegphotography.jpg

http://ellegphotography.com/2012/02/8626/

I don't even know how to handle finding somebody good - How do you "audition" them, really? :dunno:
Interview them, look at their work. They should have a portfolio. Listen to how they would do the shoot. Ask for, and check references. If possible, look at the work given the references. Talk to friends that were recently married and look at their wedding pictures. I'm sure the photographer would like to do the wedding too, so you'll get a sense of their work too.

So then... Ramp? Hangar?
either one so long as it looks clean and without distractions. The photographer will probably use settings to blur the background somewhat. Even the mountains can work if they are used to give a hint of the adventure you are embarking upon.
Is Nick the photographer? :dunno: (Oh wait, I forgot. We're twins. But Nick is already married and lives in CO and doesn't fly a Mooney. ;))

But frankly, the pretty girl is all that matters. Well, and she wants an airplane in the picture. Maybe we could just stay in WI and I'll skip the session, then we won't need mountains. ;)
D'oh!!! Sorry about that! But you do matter!

Bump... Thought I'd finally follow up on this, though we got the pics done in July.

We're very happy with our photographer, Jadon Good, for obvious reasons! Enjoy... I kept it to only the ones with the airplane, there are some others if you follow the link.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    962.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    846.7 KB · Views: 193
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.15.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.15.14 PM.png
    886.6 KB · Views: 189
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.15.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.15.36 PM.png
    855.1 KB · Views: 187
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.16.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.16.05 PM.png
    822.3 KB · Views: 185
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.16.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.16.08 PM.png
    552.9 KB · Views: 185
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.16.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.16.16 PM.png
    825.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.17.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.17.00 PM.png
    705.4 KB · Views: 182
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.17.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.17.18 PM.png
    915.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.18.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.18.03 PM.png
    628.5 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Very nice, looks like you hired a Wordrobe crew as well, nice switch in the middle

First, photos are lovely.

Second, congrats on your upcoming nuptials.

Last, I thought the Mooney was your Uncle's and for sale?

Ditch the lady and marry the plane. "Oh that, that was the plane daddy had before you were born.":lol:
I'm kidding, it never happens like that.:rolleyes:

Very nice, looks like you hired a Wordrobe crew as well, nice switch in the middle

Thanks!

My wardrobe crew is in the pictures with me. ;)

First, photos are lovely.

Second, congrats on your upcoming nuptials.

Last, I thought the Mooney was your Uncle's and for sale?

Yup, it is, and still for sale. But, we've had some great adventures together in it in the short time we've had it.

Of course, now she's spoiled riding in such a nice plane, when I get my own it's gonna be expen$ive to keep up with her standards for interior quality!

marcus-schrenker.jpg

I'm not gonna hate, wish i had some of those toys!

I'm going to bet that the most expensive toy is the one at the very front.

Back