ENG workup for suspected BPPV - appropriate or not?

U

Unregistered

I seem to be at the tail end of about a 3 week bout with (mostly) positional vertigo that came on with a bad cold that went just about everywhere in my upper body. All that is left of it now is some mild motion sensitivity when I'm tired. My GP thought the vertigo was probably due to the same virus getting into my inner ear (also found left eardrum "cloudy" and some redness on same side of throat), but my ENT wants me to have an audiogram and an ENG. Bearing in mind that he examined me 9 days after my GP did and found no evidence of inflammation on physical examination, ENT said that by history it sounds more like BPPV than a virus, but he wants to rule out Meniere's or anything intracranial, partly because I had some left-sided tinnitus with the vertigo when it was at its worst, and partly because the first vertigo episode seemed to be spontaneous. So I set up the test for next week but I'm sitting here wondering if the ENG makes sense at this point given that my symptoms seem to be resolving on their own, and also whether it is a good move from the standpoint of not jeopardizing my 3rd class medical, or might be more likely to open up Pandora's box by maybe documenting vestibular losses that are of no clinical significance.

The episode of vertigo has already jeopardized your medical certificate. So, find out what it is. If it's BPPV (a diagnosis of exclusion of everything else) it WILL eventually go away. If the ENG is normal, it'll help you get back in the left seat.

If you came to the office and reported "6/20/09: Saw Dr. XYZ for episode of vertigo" no testing......there's no way you'd get through, unless it had been a year without any epsisodes, and you had no hearing loss on the audiogram.

So you might as well find out now.

An update: I had the audiogram and ENG on Thursday, got the results today: both were WNL. Symptoms are resolved, ENT said to follow up in two months, but that it was "probably" BPPV or, perhaps, a virus.

An update: I had the audiogram and ENG on Thursday, got the results today: both were WNL. Symptoms are resolved, ENT said to follow up in two months, but that it was "probably" BPPV or, perhaps, a virus.

FWIW - if this comes up again, look into the Epley Maneuver - if the problem is, in fact, rocks not stuck in the goo (please excuse the technical terms ;-) ) it may work on the spot.

example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epley_maneuver - you can find other examples and even video's.

You can do this in bed no problem - the trickey part is the "Turn your head to the symptomatic side" - which side is that? What I did was turn to the left, lie back - nothing. Turn to the right, lie back - felt like an accelerated spin. So I continued on from there. 15 minutes later I was symptom free.

If it doesn't work, then of course you need to get to the bottom of the probem.

And, no, I have not been PIC with this nor will I for a while so all y'all can relax about that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back