Endoscopic sinus surgery

ErikU

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ErikU
After months of CT scans, I have finally agreed with my ENT that I need to have endoscopic sinus surgery to clear me out. This goes through the nose. Though it should be quick, I am told that I should plan to take a week off of work to recover. Hopefully this will help with my chronic ear infections.

I am wondering how long I should plan to be away from flying? How long should I wait to get up to high altitudes? Anything else I should be concerned about as far as flying?

Eric, I had a septoplasty and partial turbinectomy done on an outpatient basis. Looking back, I am very, very pleased with the result. With the large caveat of YMMV for what follows, I was ready to get back in the cockpit by the next weekend. There are no hard guidelines here, except that you will know when it is OK. Altitude? Yes, take it slowly at first and descend if you feel any pain.

-Skip

Having had sinus surgery three times, I would suggest to prepare for some soreness and a lot of discomfort. It may take a week to two weeks for feeling to return to normal. My face felt bloated even though there was no abnormal appearance on the outside after a few days. No doubt, there will be interior swelling.

While I can't say how long you should stay self-grounded, I'd suggest that as long as you continue to have any feeling of swelling or stuffiness (even with good breathing through nose alone), stay on the ground. The first time you do go up, make climbs and descents more gradual to see how you feel. I would even suggest you fly with a qualified pilot the first time to take control in case you are affected by altitude.

Good luck with the surgery. It's no fun and I hope I never see those tiny instruments again. The last one was a Caldwell-Luk which was under my left lip and behind my cheek. After a night in the hospital, I came home only to go to a wedding rehersal dinner an indian restaurant the next evening. I have no clue what I ate as I couldn't taste a thing. I'm just glad I had a loving girlfriend at the time to trust what she had given me to eat. :D

Thanks for the info. I am really not looking forward to it,.. but it's for the best I guess.

3947070-g1335873246724378224.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back