End of October Soaring

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
posted a little about it in the Midwest fly in thread, but I had a great glider flight yesterday. Matt Michael and I both took off from Ames and then headed to the north at about 2:00 PM. Thermals were far apart, we had many runs of way more than 5 miles, sometimes the sink was awful. an attempt at 'team' flying was fun, and we discussed afterwards some ways to make it even better. matts and my glider perform very similarly so it was fun to be able to fly next to each other. i made a decision to push on for some more distance while he found some lift, instead of backtrack to his position. I was already semi low. proved to be the wrong choice as i landed in a harvested soybean field while he circled overhead at 5000 feet. he joined me about an hour later. tons of fun, more of a writeup to come. pictures are currently uploading to here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/cherokee373Y/EndOfOctoberSoaring

I was going to call and ask how that went. Looks like a good time, I'm sorry I couldn't stick around to crew!

That's awsome. The farmers weren't a little curious about the field suddenly turning into an airport?

That's awsome. The farmers weren't a little curious about the field suddenly turning into an airport?

ill say they were curious. at one point we had about 8 people milling about checking things out. the farmer who owned the land was totally cool (as usual) and even came back later with his grandkids to show them. i asked him if he knew that he had actually been growing a runway :) all the other locals were great, including one guy who owns a 300 HP 182 and was quite a character

Back