End of November ConUS Challenge

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Good job last month, y'all. We took Arizona from very little claims to being almost 70% claimed, California finally got more claims than Michigan (albeit, still not 100% claimed yet), and Barb Miller started working on another state! We're on fire, y'all!

The top five of November:
1) Peter Yee - 44 Claims
2) Mike Schneider - 10 Claims
3) Kent Shook - 9 Claims
4) Brent Johnson - 7 Claims
5) Barb Miller - 6 Claims

The top five total:
1) Barb Miller - 302 Claims
2) Peter Yee - 227 Claims
3) C. Edward Irvin - 142 Claims
4) Karl J. Kisser - 95 Claims
5) Mike Schneider - 84 Claims

Top 5 States by Percentage:
1) Delaware - 100%
2) Michigan - 100%
3) California - 94.8%
4) Indiana - 81.6%
5) Wisconsin - 71.4%

Top 5 States by number:
1) California - 238 Claimed
1) Michigan - 225 Claimed
3) Ohio - 93 Claimed
4) Wisconsin - 90 Claimed
5) Indiana - 84 Claimed

Class B Airports Claimed: 24/34
Class B Airports Left: (BOS, BWI, CVG, EWR, IAH, JFK, MCO, PIT, SEA, TPA).

We're doing great, but we still only have 3 airports left in Rhode Island. That would be great to grab next! Connecticut only needs 8 more to go. Vermont only has 2 claims, we could definitely use a few more claims up there, there's only 17 airports total!

Keep it up, y'all! Let's all Go Fly America!

3) Kent Shook - 9 Claims

Woohoo! :goofy:

I have a couple more that I need to find the pics for.

5) Wisconsin - 71.4%
4) Wisconsin - 90 Claimed

Alas, my goal of getting WI to 100% by the initial deadline ain't gonna happen. 99% maybe, but it's already too late for 100%:

NOTAM 5G4
- ARPT CLSD TO WHEELED ACFT NOV 15 THRU MAR 31.

:(

Anyone got a skiplane I can borrow? :dunno:

Also, there are a total of 8 turf-only fields yet unclaimed, and with the dumping of snow and other frozen crap today, they're all probably out of the question until spring, unless it all melts and then the ground freezes. :dunno:

Peter was THE Man last month. He did some really good writeups on his claims. It was great reading them and they give me ideals for new places put on my must visit list.

Barb

Change to ConUS Web Site

I wanted to see how many more airports are available in my home state and the web site doesn't really allow a good way to do this, so I made a change this morning. It's not very intuitive and I wouldn't have done it this way if I had thought to do a state search when it was designed, but it was a simple way to accomplish the task.

Short Version:
Select an airport in the state you are interested in, then select "Same State" in the drop down menu and refresh the list.

Long Version:
When you first do a search for an airport and select a specific airport, a screen allows you to refine how other airports are listed (how many miles from your selected airport; claimed airports, available airports, etc). The drop down menu which allows you to select how many miles you want to extend your search has been modified to include, at the bottom, the option "Same State". This limit the selection to airports within the same state as the chosen airport.

So to view all available airports in Arkansas (for example), select any airport in Arkansas (like KVBT), and then select "Same State" in the drop down menu and select only "Show: Available" (unselect "Targeted", "Claim Pending", and "Claimed"), then refresh.

Clear as mud? Have fun.

Re: Change to ConUS Web Site

I wanted to see how many more airports are available in my home state and the web site doesn't really allow a good way to do this, so I made a change this morning. It's not very intuitive and I wouldn't have done it this way if I had thought to do a state search when it was designed, but it was a simple way to accomplish the task.

Short Version:
Select an airport in the state you are interested in, then select "Same State" in the drop down menu and refresh the list.

Long Version:
When you first do a search for an airport and select a specific airport, a screen allows you to refine how other airports are listed (how many miles from your selected airport; claimed airports, available airports, etc). The drop down menu which allows you to select how many miles you want to extend your search has been modified to include, at the bottom, the option "Same State". This limit the selection to airports within the same state as the chosen airport.

So to view all available airports in Arkansas (for example), select any airport in Arkansas (like KVBT), and then select "Same State" in the drop down menu and select only "Show: Available" (unselect "Targeted", "Claim Pending", and "Claimed"), then refresh.

Clear as mud? Have fun.

Sweet! Thanks Chip!

I am really envious of you guys. I'm wishing I was down there (ConUS) still visiting airfields. What a great time!

Karl

And While I'm At It....

I've also added a new button which allows you to display a list of selected airports so you can print it. Now you can select "Available" airports, print the list, and take it with you to the airport to plug into your GPS. So get to work. :D

I was hoping to get out to some airports today, but...
KVBT 021835Z AUTO 32011G17KT 1 1/4SM OVC003 08/06 A3002 RMK AO1

Peter was THE Man last month. He did some really good writeups on his claims. It was great reading them and they give me ideals for new places put on my must visit list.

Barb
Peter and Karl Kissler have been busy. I've flown in 8 states in the last several months and those two had beat me to most every airport.

I enjoy reading Peter's comments. I think he's a budding comedian and has a sardonic wit.

I am really envious of you guys. I'm wishing I was down there (ConUS) still visiting airfields. What a great time!

Karl
What are you talking about! On your trip to AR you hit most every aprt along my route from WA to UT to NM. :dunno:

Barb
Thanks, Barb. It was a good trip, although it leaves me with very few airports in striking range. I really should proofread those postings, but I usually make them late at night when I return from a trip and I have trouble focusing!

We're doing great, but we still only have 3 airports left in Rhode Island. That would be great to grab next!
I would have finished Rhode Island when I did those airports in Massachusetts. Unfortunately, all of the flying clubs in the area that I checked on have insurance policies that prohibit landing on runways of less than 3000 feet. Richmond (08R) is 2129 feet. Given that I'm flying a 172, I can't begin to imagine how 2129 feet at nearly sea level is a problem, but them's the rules.

Peter and Karl Kissler have been busy. I've flown in 8 states in the last several months and those two had beat me to most every airport.

I enjoy reading Peter's comments. I think he's a budding comedian and has a sardonic wit.
Sorry to hog all of the airports. I blame my navigator. He's the one who made it possible to hit so many places by sharing the expenses and handling the routing. I just do the pilot stuff. ;)

Sorry to hog all of the airports. I blame my navigator. He's the one who made it possible to hit so many places by sharing the expenses and handling the routing. I just do the pilot stuff. ;)
Peter, good to hear from you. You suck! LOL

Maybe we can meet up some where sometime.

Back