End of May ConUS Challenge Update

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Woohoo! Great month guys! Things are really starting to heat up for the challenge. We're still a ways behind the goal, but at this point, I'd say we keep going until we succeed!

Here's the stats:

Airports claimed in May: 112
Airports claimed total: 1262

Top 5 claimers:
1) Barb Miller (returning to her throne!) with 19
2) Diana Richards (welcome!!!) with 18
3) Josh Sheilds with 15
4) Mike Schneider with 9
5) Christine Malcomson-Young with 6

Total Class B Airports Claimed: 21/34 (KATL, KCLE, KDAL, KDEN, KDFW, KDTW, KHOU, KIAD, KLAS, KLAX, KLGA, KMCI, KMIA, KMSP, KMSY, KPHL, KPHX, KSAN, KSFO, KSLC, KSTL).

Top completion rates:
By Percentage, Michigan is now 92% complete, followed closely by Delaware at 90% (still!! come on....ONE more airport to go to complete Delaware!)

By Number, Michigan leads with 208 airports claimed, with California in a not so close 2nd at 157 airports.

Claim of the month (this is a new thing I'm gonna start doing. The most impressive claim each month, be it cool photo or description will get mentioned here):

COTM: KIAD (Washington Dulles International)

This one is amazing, and a bit funny. Josh Sheilds emailed me asking why IAD was not on the list. After explaining that the DC airports were intentionally left off the list because we figured no one would be landing there (at the time, it was part 91 only), he pointed out that he'd like to claim it, part 91.

Well, the airport qualifies for a claim based on the description of the rules, so Chip added the airport to the database.

Hours later, Christine Malcomson-Young beat Josh to the punch of claiming the airport. So - they're both listed on the claim page now. I just found it amazing that an airport we didn't think would get claimed period would get 2 claims within a 24 hour period.

Here's the claims:
1286_small.jpg

Christine Malcomson-Young said:
What a massive airport complex this is!!! ATC really helps out by letting you land on the side of the field that allows the shortest taxi to your FBO. Today we did a visual approach to 19R and parked at Landmark. Always an incredibly busy place, but it runs like a well-oiled machine.

1290_small.jpg

Josh Sheilds said:
Doh! Looks like somebody beat me to it. I had submitted to have IAD added earlier this week, but was gone on a trip for the past couple of days. Perhaps we can both share the glory of the claim? :) Used to fly in and out of Dulles all the time as an ACA/Independence Air pilot. This photo was taken from the ramp at Landmark Aviation on the NW side of the field, just south of the former ACA/IDE maintenance hangar. If you're spending the night, I highly recommend eating north of the field at Sweetwater Tavern, an upscale microbrewery located on Leesburg Turnpike/Route 7 in Sterling/Cascades. Any local should know about it. ~J

Map image coming soon

Wish this had been running a few years ago. I'd have KHNL for you. Oh well...

Delaware at 90% (still!! come on....ONE more airport to go to complete Delaware!)

I flew in to KILG this morning, but didn't have a camera :dunno:. I go in there a lot but I never think to claim it since it's only 11 miles from my home drome. Maybe next time I'm there (could be as early as Monday).

I need to get busy and claim some more airports. There's plenty around me to claim. I want to be in the top 5 list for June.:)

Including my home field, there is only one within 50 miles that has been claimed. Guess I need to go out on a nice day and snag a bunch of them. I'll get OLM on Monday. I've got lots of pictures of the place, just not with the necessary sign.

Sorry Nick, everywhere I've gone it's been claimed.

Back