End of July ConUS Challenge Update

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Hey guys, its that time again!! Here's the stats from July!

We got some decent claims this month. Still down from the beginning, but way up from the previous few months, which is awesome! Great job guys!

Top claims for July:

1) Peter Yee 22
2) Jay Maynard 5
3) Mike Boyd 4
4) Tony Condon 2
Joe Williams 2

Top claims overall:

1) Barb Miller 356
2) Peter Yee 255
3) C. Edward Irvin 142
4) Mike Schneider 101
5) Karl J. Kisser 95

Bravos left to claim: KBOS, KBWI, KCVG, KEWR, KJFK, KMCO, KPIT, KSEA, KTPA

State info:
Code:
State Claims Airports Pct 
CA 248 251 98.8% 
MI 225 225 100.0% 
WI 102 126 81.0% 
OH 93 163 57.1% 
TX 93 383 24.3% 
GA 91 109 83.5% 
IN 85 103 82.5% 
WA 74 126 58.7% 
MO 69 125 55.2% 
OR 66 95 69.5% 
PA 65 125 52.0% 
FL 58 125 46.4% 
AZ 57 80 71.3% 
IA 57 121 47.1% 
IL 53 110 48.2% 
AR 48 100 48.0% 
OK 47 142 33.1% 
MN 45 144 31.3% 
TN 41 82 50.0% 
NY 38 142 26.8% 
AL 36 96 37.5% 
NC 34 110 30.9% 
NV 33 52 63.5% 
CO 32 77 41.6% 
KS 31 143 21.7% 
MD 27 35 77.1% 
MT 27 120 22.5% 
WY 27 41 65.9% 
VA 26 67 38.8% 
ID 24 116 20.7% 
KY 24 61 39.3% 
NE 24 88 27.3% 
MA 23 39 59.0% 
SC 23 68 33.8% 
NJ 21 47 44.7% 
CT 16 21 76.2% 
MS 15 80 18.8% 
NM 14 60 23.3% 
ME 13 49 26.5% 
SD 13 75 17.3% 
NH 11 24 45.8% 
UT 11 47 23.4% 
WV 11 36 30.6% 
DE 10 10 100.0% 
ND 7 89 7.9% 
RI 7 7 100.0% 
LA 5 76 6.6% 
VT 3 17 17.6% 
DC 1 1 100.0%

Thanks for the update, Nick!

It seems that there are many airports still available out west... I think I'm gonna try to claim one in every state I fly over on my Big Trip. :yes:

Hey, I just got 3 more airports today! (Or will have, once they're approved.) I didn't get a chance to spend time with people on the ground, unfortunately. :(

I realized that if Leslie and I combined our claims, we're STILL significantly less than Scott and Kent. Barb and Pete are in a whole 'nother class!:yes:

I realized that if Leslie and I combined our claims, we're STILL significantly less than Scott and Kent. Barb and Pete are in a whole 'nother class!:yes:
Barb and Pete are amazing.

I have not added any new airports to my list in a quite a while.

What I was doing on days that I could go flying was plot out about 5 to 8 airports to go land at that had not been claimed. I just have not had the time. I am hoping to be able to do some next weekend and should probably start figuring out which way I want to go. I would liek to get back up into the top 5. I know I will not be a 'podium' finisher.

Well, there's now one less airport to worry about.

In going about trying to find airports to claim on my trip, I found that Hidden Hills Airport (L57) near Pahrump, NV, is no longer there. :( So, Nick/Chip, you can probably remove that one from the database.

It's on the 3/17/05 version of the Las Vegas sectional, but not on the current one. If you put L57 into Skyvector it still knows where it used to be. I found an airnav page for it on archive.org from June 2007, so apparently it's disappeared within the last year.

:(

I just claimed three more...which leaves only one within 50 miles of home unclaimed (aside from my home airport, that is). Slowly but surely...

I just claimed three more...which leaves only one within 50 miles of home unclaimed (aside from my home airport, that is). Slowly but surely...

Hmmm... So Jay, whatcha doin' Tuesday? Maybe I'll have to stop and claim your airport too. :yes:

Hmmm... So Jay, whatcha doin' Tuesday? Maybe I'll have to stop and claim your airport too. :yes:
Make it before 10:30 or after noon or so, and I'll be there.

I'd love to have you do it, even if I'm not there - since none of the folks who might otherwise claim KFRM seem to have done so yet.

Make it before 10:30 or after noon or so, and I'll be there.

I'd love to have you do it, even if I'm not there - since none of the folks who might otherwise claim KFRM seem to have done so yet.

Oh, it'll be after noon. I guarantee it. :D

PM me your phone # and I'll let you know my ETA!

Good going! However, in most any other month you wouldn't have made the top 20. Claims are down.

Even Peter is off his benchmark.
I have to fly quite a ways now to even start getting to unclaimed (paved) airports. It's kind of hard to keep up the pace, but I may make one more long trip to work on unclaimed airports in the West.

Well, there's now one less airport to worry about.

In going about trying to find airports to claim on my trip, I found that Hidden Hills Airport (L57) near Pahrump, NV, is no longer there. :( So, Nick/Chip, you can probably remove that one from the database.

Damn... Found another one. Evergreen Field, Vancouver, WA (S59). You can see where it used to be... Look at the lower right corner - The cutout in the class C is where Evergreen used to be:

tile_38_1_3_8_11.jpg

Has anyone ever been to these places?

Hey Nick,

BTW, there seems to be a weird quirk on the front page. It says 4,629 airports on file and today says we should've claimed 6624. I think your algorithm might need a little tweaking. :)

Damn... Found another one. Evergreen Field, Vancouver, WA (S59). You can see where it used to be... Look at the lower right corner - The cutout in the class C is where Evergreen used to be:

Too bad. From 2004:
Opus Northwest, a local arm of Minnesota-based developer Opus, is proposing to build a $170 million mixed-used project on approximately 50 acres in east Clark County, Wash., that would resemble the Bridgeport Village project in Portland's southwest suburbs.
The Vancouver site long has been home to family-owned Evergreen Airport, one of the county's oldest airports and home base for approximately 100 airplanes.
Evergreen is owned and operated by descendants of airport founder and local aviation legend Wally Olson, who died in 1997. The family indicated years ago that it likely would divest from the airport and the property, a chunk of land on Mill Plain Boulevard several miles east of Interstate 205.
Months ago, the Olsons and Opus began discussions about a deal to sell the land. "We don't have a closing date," said Cheryl Olson, Wally Olson's daughter.
The deal is contingent upon development approvals from the city of Vancouver, which could take more than a year to be granted. The company's Seattle office submitted a development proposal early this month to the city.

Hey Nick,

BTW, there seems to be a weird quirk on the front page. It says 4,629 airports on file and today says we should've claimed 6624. I think your algorithm might need a little tweaking. :)

You are correct. The original goal ending date was December 31, 2007. We extended the deadline, but never changed the goal estimator. I'll work with Chip and see if that can be changed at all! Thanks for the heads up!

Has anyone ever been to these places?
And I sent Nick a message on another one that's disappeared:
Sky Park (4K8) in Newkirk, OK.

It shows up in ConUS Challenge, but not in AirNav, though it seems to know where it was, right near Grass Roots, OK48.

OK, I'll buck the trend here of disappearing airports and point out a new one that's not in Nick's database:
How about one that's in there three times? Houston Executive is in there as 78T, which also appears twice more under another name. It's now TME, and was my first claim.

I claimed Griswold Airport N04 in Madison, CT and it has since disappeared.

-Skip

I think I've taken care of all of the database problems mentioned. My airport source database isn't being maintained very well for some reason.

I claimed Griswold Airport N04 in Madison, CT and it has since disappeared.

-Skip

I checked on this on and found the airport and claim. Are you still having problems?

I checked on this on and found the airport and claim. Are you still having problems?
I think he means that the airport no longer physically exists.

Ahhhhh. OK. I'll take care of it.
Well, if you have THAT kind of power, we have this little airport on the lakefront of Chicago that no longer exists either! :( Can you take care of that, while you're at it?;)

How about one that's in there three times? Houston Executive is in there as 78T, which also appears twice more under another name. It's now TME, and was my first claim.

78T was the original designator for Houston Exec, before it became KTME.

I think he means that the airport no longer physically exists.

On further reflection, since it's already been claimed and nobody is required to go there to claim it I think I'll leave it in the database. Nick, let me know if you want it deleted and I'll do it.

On further reflection, since it's already been claimed and nobody is required to go there to claim it I think I'll leave it in the database. Nick, let me know if you want it deleted and I'll do it.

Nah, that's probably the best way to do it. A few airports have been claimed and then decommissioned. I even claimed one that was (3V5). Sad days for sure.

Nah, that's probably the best way to do it. A few airports have been claimed and then decommissioned. I even claimed one that was (3V5). Sad days for sure.

Maybe there could be a special section for "lost friends" or something... I hate to see airports disappear and nobody even notices. :(

Maybe there could be a special section for "lost friends" or something... I hate to see airports disappear and nobody even notices. :(

I kind of like this idea (and I just saw it somehow...)

No guarantees, but I like it

Back