EMPLOYMENT: DC-9 Captain (Anchorage)

I'm game. You'll have to pay for my type rating, though.

I'm game. You'll have to pay for my type rating, though.

Next thing you know, you'll be buying one of those retired AA MD80s (or Hef's old DC9) and using it to ferry animals.... ;)

Next thing you know, you'll be buying one of those retired AA MD80s (or Hef's old DC9) and using it to ferry animals.... ;)

Lots of animals !

Over the course of the past year, Kalitta has moved 3000 head of cattle from North Dakota to Kazachstan using a 747 freighter. About 100 at a time with a intermediate stop somewhere in europe. They have a couple of cowboys and a veterinarian on board, better service than I get on Delta.

Well, I've only once been asked for something that would need larger than a Navajo, and that was for a Manatee. So I think we're sticking to pistons. ;)

Over the course of the past year, Kalitta has moved 3000 head of cattle from North Dakota to Kazachstan using a 747 freighter. About 100 at a time with a intermediate stop somewhere in europe. They have a couple of cowboys and a veterinarian on board, better service than I get on Delta.

Now that's quite the interesting trip, and talk about some expensive beef!

For a couple years I had the pleasure of an e-mail based pilot forum of which that Kalitta pilot was a member. His work schedule was basically a 15 day romp around the globe once a month. Oil pipes, throughbred horses, cattle, high tension powerline towers, surfboard blanks...you name it.

Now that's quite the interesting trip, and talk about some expensive beef!

This is a breeder cattle, so while they will eventually turn into hamburger, the idea is to grow this into a couple of 100k animal herd. Apparently shipping them by air-mail is cheaper than sea/land as the loss due to animals dying along the treck is so much lower.

This is a breeder cattle, so while they will eventually turn into hamburger, the idea is to grow this into a couple of 100k animal herd. Apparently shipping them by air-mail is cheaper than sea/land as the loss due to animals dying along the treck is so much lower.

Pretty similar to why Cloud Nine exists. The ground transports frequently don't work as well (especially on longer trips) with a higher loss rate. Flight actually makes more sense.

Back