Eminent Domain Case - Solberg (N51)

deltafox

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
deltafox
A small general aviation airport in rural New Jersey known as “Solberg” has been under withering assault for nearly a decade by the local township. Solberg has been around forever and is enjoyed by pilots and aircraft owners up and down the East Coast and beyond. A lovely family owns it and they have been nearly bankrupted in trying to protect what was legally theirs to peaceably enjoy.

Well, they won a huge victory. Not only did the judge hearing the eminent domain claim turn the township away, it assessed millions of dollars in fines against it.

http://lsaeronaut.blogspot.com/2015/05/eminent-domain-case-solberg-n51.html

BTW, the Balloon Fest is great!

Excellent! A win for the good guys!!

Jim

Now it's interminable appeals and trying to collect the fines.

Yep. Gotta love it. Win, lose, it doesn't matter. The lawyers get paid either way. The court orders fines to help cover your legal costs and you have to continue hiring lawyers to try and get it. You lose 10 years of your life emotionally, go nearly bankrupt and the lawyers on both sides go shopping for new Mercedes.

I predict that the town's insurance company will negotiate a quiet and somewhat reasonable settlement. This sort of judgement will have long-term repercussions with politicians involved. They will also want a quick settlement so this can fade from the electorate's memory before the next election.

After much hunting I found the text of the ruling.

If it's as it says in his published ruling, the township should all face state charges of official corruption, graft, and perjury. Holy smoke, what a blistering they took.

http://solbergairport.com/readingtonvsolberg04may15.pdf

Sadly, the money is not yet in the hands of the Solbergs and I doubt they will ever be compensated a dime. It's just an egregious example of official thuggery.

Arrogance at its best. And in the end the taxpayer has to pay the bill for such arrogance.

I think the judge wore out his legal thesaurus looking for adjectives for 'you lie!'

My wife and I run a race there every year with the hot air balloons. There are so many planes that are abandoned with green mold growing all over them. It's really sad to see but i am glad, albeit surprised with the judge's descision.

My wife and I run a race there every year with the hot air balloons. There are so many planes that are abandoned with green mold growing all over them. It's really sad to see but i am glad, albeit surprised with the judge's descision.

Stay tuned....

That judge will be found in his bedroom next year with 6 bullet holes in his head...... They will rule it suicide.....:rolleyes:........:(

Stay tuned....

That judge will be found in his bedroom next year with 6 bullet holes in his head...... They will rule it suicide.....:rolleyes:........:(

Welcome to New Jersey....

Stay tuned....

No, protocol is to start with a horse's head in the bed.

If he doesn't the vacate the verdict....

Is this judge elected or appointed? If the former, he is soon to be unemployed. Sadly, because his decision in this case is (from a biased outsider's opinion (mine)) absolutely correct. Shame on the township officials for being so wasteful of the taxpayer's money!

This case is a prime example that when the government wants something, to hell with common sense and peoples rights. it is FULL speed ahead and damned if you try to get in the way......:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Superior Court judges are appointed by the governor and confirmed by the senate for seven year terms.

Back