Emergency Landing (Nice Job)

My Adobe Flash Player doesn't work on my office computer. Is this the one where the guy is in an LSA and lands on a road?

Pistol - no it's not. It's a jet that lands gear up it was on CNN I believe.

Pistol - no it's not. It's a jet that lands gear up it was on CNN I believe.

Interesting looking jet...

Heck of a good landing, though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Not a jet, King Air 100. It's also a B100 with the Garrett Engines, not the Pratt & Whitney PT6's like the reporter says.

Last edited:
He was probably a little worried floating down the runway after feathering the props. If you look at the airport diagram or google maps you realize that he only had about 200' of runway left. That is the last taxiway on runway 32 that you see. The camera shot is never wide enough for you to see that the end of the runway is right there.

I would be interested to know why he landed on 32 while giving up 1600' instead of using runway 8. Was it the winds or did the tower talk him into it so he wouldn't shut down their main runway?

Nice job and the best possible outcome.

When he was mere inches from the ground, the bird looked like she just didn't want to touch down almost like an air-hockey puck. Was this an exaggerated ground-effect because of how close the wings were to the ground?

The pilot is a nice guy, we are based at the same FBO, the King Air was fixed and they fly it all the time. He landed it just like we all hope we can do if the situation arises. ;)

That does not look like a Cessna, not with the center stick and the open overhead bracing.

No, and that engine sounds like a two-stroke.

http://www.documentingreality.com/f...anding-havendale-boulevard-winterhaven-18145/

WINTER HAVEN, Fla. As a flight instructor, Kyle Davis teaches his students how to make emergency landings. On Sunday, he got put to the test.

"I was incredibly lucky," Davis told. "It was a whole bunch of luck and a little bit of experience."

Davis, and his passenger, a professional videographer, left Gilbert Field in Winter Haven around 10:30 a.m.

They were on their way to the Sun 'N Fun Fly in, a 15-minute flight.

Since so many other planes were flying there as well, Davis's passenger told that they thought "it would be cool" to video their trip.

Just minutes after taking off, the engine conked out. Davis got it going again, then it stopped a second time. Then, a third.

"He was just awesome," said John Amundsen, who taught Davis to fly. "I just hope if I ever have a situation like that, I am as cool as Kyle was."

As the plane got closer and closer to the ground, Davis had to make a split-second decision.

Land in a nearby lake, or on Havendale Boulevard -- one of Winter Haven's busiest streets.

For whatever reason, there was no traffic on his side of Havendale, so Davis set her down there.

Even though Davis may have nerves of steel, a number of words on the video are bleeped out.

"I was saying my prayers," Davis said. "I was saying my prayers."

Last edited:
Back