Emergency Landing in a Parking lot today in Houston

Looks like a good job,on the landing. Walked away and said nothing ,must have driven the press crazy.

Looks like an experimental Champ derivative, and a pretty one at that. Everything but the turtledeck (or lack thereof) says Champ.

Knowing KEYQ, that was a heck of a job. There's very little around that airport that's even remotely safe for engine out. Sad he hurt his plane, but the good thing is no injuries and no other property damage. nicely done.

<edited to correct identifier. >

Last edited:
Knowing KEYQ, that was a heck of a job. There's very little around that airport that's even remotely safe for engine out. Sad he hurt his plane, but the good thing is no injuries and no other property damage. nicely done.

<edited to correct identifier. >

This happened nowhere near KEYQ - Weiser. It was between the Beltway and Loop on 290.

He flew out of eyq. It's off 290 in cypress

That plane was well known in the Aeronca community. Experimental, along the lines of the Citabria Pro, called Junkyard Dawg. The builder sold it two weeks ago to the current owner.

No prop damage so it looks like a bona fide engine out landing.

That plane was well known in the Aeronca community. Experimental, along the lines of the Citabria Pro, called Junkyard Dawg. The builder sold it two weeks ago to the current owner.

I'm just curious about it's experimental status. Is it a certified Aeronca that has been modified, so it qualifies as a research project for a future STC, or new type, or is it a scratch built plane so qualifies as E/AB? There aren't any Aeronca kits are there?

I was looking at a 'Super Pacer' that was extended fuselage and used a PA-18 tail and wings and put an IO540 on it. The FAA gave him EXP-AB certification on it since he modified it significantly enough.

No prop damage so it looks like a bona fide engine out landing.

The prop was damaged, so the engine will have to come down. I've owned two champs. Neither looked anything like that. He probably touched down at 38-40. Cars probably drive that fast in that parking lot. Anyway, good job. Fixing the aircraft doesn't look like a big deal.

Fixing the aircraft doesn't look like a big deal.

I don't know, in addition to an engine tear down, new prop, landing gear repair, doesn't it look like the spar might be bent/broken? Looks like an insurance write off too me.

062014-plane+down+03.JPG

I don't know, in addition to an engine tear down, new prop, landing gear repair, doesn't it look like the spar might be bent/broken? Looks like an insurance write off too me.

062014-plane+down+03.JPG

It may not be insured. It's probably a write off but a good rebuilder would have no problem with it. Spar probably done for on one wing. All depends on talent.

Back