Emergency Landing: Beach or Breakers?

Always nice to see new aviaition safety related content...

I do a lot flying in the outer banks. From VA Beach south to Frisco, I'm following the ribbon of sand that's rarely more than a mile wide. I frequently think about this topic, as there are some stretches of beach that are teeming with people, some that are deserted, and everything in between. Depending on where I am, I have about four options: 1) beach, 2) highway, 3) ocean, 4) tidal marsh on the sound side. My first choice varies based on season, water temperature, winds, tide, and occupants. Along much of the route all of this options are in play until about 800 agl. Generally speaking, I think the grassy tidal marsh or sound shallows would be my most reliable choice, although in the winter there are long stretches of highway 12 that would be usable (with sufficient clearance from power lines) and virtually uninhabited sections of beach.

Good info on the water, but I like his "keep reevaluationg" scheme. The first engine failure I had was just after I'd raised the gear on takeoff (figure it was about 600'). Straight ahead of me there was an obstructed shopping center parking lot, no good. I figured if I turned 90 degrees I could put it down on the airport access road. So best guide and turn for that. As I'm rolling through the turn I see I've got enough altitude to make it back to at least the taxiway at the airport if not the runway. At 200' or so I'm lined up on the runway and I'm thinking, OK what am I forgetting... oh yeah, landing gear. Fortunately, it comes down fast in the Navion.

I enjoyed that and it actually took some of the fears out of a water ditch. I always would use flaps but not full flaps in the 182- but like he said a slight stall and drop is better then a fast flip I guess.

Great video, incredibly informative. One of the few youtube CFIs that *actually* knows what he’s talking about and simultaneously doesn’t take himself too seriously.

Coming from Florida this was a common topic of discussion with CFI's and there were always varying degrees of common opinion as to the best practice.

One thing to add, often when along the beach there is a bay or other more still, and less congested body of water on the other side of the barrier islands. If you're in the right spot you can consider aiming for the bay rather than the beach and you might save yourself some surf rash.

Back