Emergency Declarartion Triggers FAA Fishing Expedition

I guess that means that people shouldn't answer any questions, even innocent questions, about their job because that might open the door to anything.

As I remember it ...

No need to guess. Scroll up and read it. ;)

Then there are the people who rant about never having met a government employee who isn't mediocre and unmotivated. That's like saying all small airplane pilots are dangerous. We don't like to be stereotyped in that way and neither do government workers. Of course there are unmotivated government employees and dangerous pilots but not across the board. Unfortunately its the bad ones who give the others that reputation.

Yes there are those people who say that. I did not.

Nate,

I just went back and read every post kmox made on this thread. He never attacked you, but you've really gone after him. He even said "I'm not trying to justify anything, just providing some reasons why this happens." AKA, insight.

Keep believing that. He have two very questionable answers. And I questioned them with only one example. A softball example.

He wasn't the OP - He was just trying to answer questions brought up in the thread.

He failed then bailed. Oh well.

And why is it his duty to you to justify everything the FAA does? He's not the administrator. He came here for fun. I bet he doesn't even know who sets those policies, and if it irks you so much, you should be talking to your congressman, not a pawn who's here voluntarily.

Let's see. Whom would I call to ask these questions of on the phone? Oh yeah. An inspector. Duh.

If he doesn't know who sets policy, he shouldn't be saying he knows why in a public forum, right? Like I said, personal problem.

And letting it stand there vs. making an issue of it and attacking him was your call. And that was a bad call for our community.

Nope. Didn't attack. Responded to his assertion that a) his day job is inspector and b) he knew why FSDOs are completely inconsistent.

His whining and running off instead of just saying, "Gosh. You're right. We have decades of Chief Counsel letters we can't even properly codify into law, so we just let the lawyer write it... And we have lots of stuff we should be able to easily create Advisory Circulars on so everyone knows where we stand, but we don't..." isn't what I expected. Or any other of a million ways to respond to a customer other than "I'm taking my ball and going home."

Yes! Maybe not directly, but the FAA answers to the president and congress and they answer to us, and by us I do not mean pilots, I mean everyone - Including all of the people who HATE GA. And there's more haters than pilots.

Plus, in this day and age of liability ruling all, the most conservative possible interpretation of every rule would be the only way they would standardize.

Finally... If you really want black and white, we can do things the way the rest of the world does. The way the FAA works, everything is allowed until they say it isn't. The way the rest of the world works, NOTHING is allowed until they say it is. Can you imagine trying to get a FAR rewrite when you want to try something new?

Getting pretty paranoid there methinks. You've hit upon some excellent SZ topics there about people's generally anti-Freedom attitudes and cultural shift, but I fail to see how answering the question posed would have any effect on that.

You've also got the whole "everything is allowed" thing wrong. Everything is allowed until one day an inspector slaps a violation on you. If you try to call and ask if you can do something you find inconsistency, so most folks decide on their own what they think they can get away with and roll the dice.

This isn't murder. That's clearly always wrong. But when it comes to "is it OK to mount a camera on an airplane" there isn't nearly as clear of an answer. I'd much rather have the answer be given to me by an inspector with the leeway to say "It's OK as long as you only attach it via these means and don't fly over tons of people with it attached" vs. "Sorry, it sounds safe to me, but our new uniform no-camera policy won't allow it at all."

Please re-read my posts. I never claimed you won't find that type of inspector. I claimed you won't consistently get that answer. And that's inappropriate.

Please show where he gave a reasoned answer better than the equivalent of "I don't know".

No, he tried to answer the OP's question and you jumped all over him.

Nope. Tossed him a softball. If I "jumped all over him" you'd know it. There's at least 20 more where that one came from.

That's a heckuva lot more in-depth than I've seen on the subject before. It's not much, but again, the guy came here for FUN, not to get heckled.

No heckling here. Just challenged his assertion. If you say, "I work as a data analyst and numbers are not data.", someone would say, no. And then you'd explain why. Or you'd say, "Nevermind. I was wrong." Or you'd run away crying. Whatever. Your choice in how to respond is on you. Not the person on a discussion board who said, "no."

I wouldn't ask you to call all the offices of your company and ask them for answers and names either. I don't think that anyone would expect a reasonable person to do so based on the demands of someone they never met on an internet forum.

You really think I thought the guy who can't be bothered to post more than one word replies from an Asian hotel room about his former job, really was going to lift a finger to defend his assertion that nothing is ever wrong in his world? LOL. It's called a challenge to BS.

No, he decided it wasn't worth wasting his free time on someone who posted a snarky response to his attempts to give answers.

Two answers. Neither of any substance. No snark directed at him. Re-read my posts. Literally. Remove whatever false emotion you've attached to them.

Others have snarked. The snarkiest poster in the entire thread is R&W, by the way. All personally directed at me. I wasn't even talking to him.

The sky's not falling, but the quality of this message board sure is. We used to be the front porch of aviation. I'd send people here all the time. I wouldn't any more.

I gotta agree. Folks who know me very well and in person have decided to go on a witch hunt claiming I'm their community problem for discussing what someone else brought up in a thread.

You all act as if I knew my question would cause some guy who apparently really wasn't that interested in talking about what HE brought up, to run away from his own posts.

Yep. + 1 to everything Mooniac said.

All this is, is a couple of posters posting broad stroke, stereotype comments about organizations that they have no clue in how they operate. Even the comments on the military. I spent 20 yrs in the military and I assure you, there is plenty of red tape involved...even in the Marines.

I made a very clear assertion. FSDOs do not answer consistently, and there's no good reason for it. I backed it up with an example. Unless you're speaking of someone else.

The above paragraph is funny though. You claim others don't know how the organizations work, and then simultaneously state those organizations are loaded with red tape. Wasn't that part of my assertion, that the problem was one of non-efficiency and a lack of looking for efficiency? You really think anyone here doesn't know most government organizations are loaded with the stuff? Only those who've worked for one can figure this out?

Velocity173;1487577 As far as mounting a camera externally said:
You're *sure*, huh? What do you base that on?

Why not publish a document of guidelines that are "sure" enough to state.

Heck put a disclaimer on it, "We're still gathering information on this and may change our stance at any time. We'll rescind this document and place a new one ... here... with any future changes to this policy. Pilots are advised to check this location for updates."

Perhaps get it in writing?

Good luck with that.

I thought I already covered it. THERE IS NO GUIDANCE ON THIS. Alaska does have a hands off policy on the issue or at least they used to. What works for one region doesn't work for all regions.

So, based on the fact there isn't guidance or anything regulatory that leaves it up to individual FSDOs to determine if it just requires a log entry, a field approval or a whole separate STC. It's all subjective based on the type camera, type aircraft, where it's mounted, type of mount, etc. Leave it up to the judgment of individual FSDOs to determine that stuff until something regulatory comes out. If I'm a pilot and I want to mount something to the outside of the aircraft, what's so hard about calling the local FSDO and getting approval?

The only gripe we could have is how long it takes the FAA to implement that policy. As I brought up earlier, our HEMS Part 135 regulatory changes have taken years. Personally I was thinking why the heck does it take this long to implement increased safety regulations for HEMS? That's because the FAA is dealing with far more challenges than I ever realized. I've read their report and they actually had HEMS operators weighing in on the FAA recommendations. You know what? Hardly any of them could agree on anything! That's because you have operators with differing opinions on what's safe and operators with differing budgets on how to implement these changes. Because of all this resistance from HEMS operators, the FAA decided to delay the new regulations for another year. We all know that right now they're trying to please all parties by trying to pass some sort of UAV regs as well. They're being pulled left and right by people who hate drones (privacy issues) and those operators who are looking to make money on this new wave of aviation ingenuity.

So what an I getting at? These things take time. It's a large organization that's trying to evaluate all possible avenues prior to issuing any regulatory measures. We don't need some knee jerk reaction and some regulation banning any external camera mounts. In the interim, they feel its best to let FSDOs decide what best.

So let the FSDO publish what they believe today and amend it later if they learn something new. Especially if it's so region-specific, which I don't buy at all. But if it is, let the FSDO write it up.

Remember when FSDOs wrote whole books on things? I have a few of them. Regional things.

It's not rocket science. They even used to publish movies. I met a few of those inspectors. They certainly weren't shrinking violets or scared to answer questions in front of public crowds. One retired and is dead now. RIP. He was entertaining as a speaker, too. And informative. And always held open Q&A sessions at the end of the presentation. A true public servant. He also wasn't shy about putting his name on it.

Something changed. Now we have anonymous snarky guys who post eye roll smileys, and guys who think the easy questions are so tough they'd better excuse themselves.

Oh well. Guess that's what an organization and a County get when it decided culturally to let the lawyers handle everything.

You're allowed to hate the Navy though...just not the Marines.:D

LOL! ;)

Yes there are those people who say that. I did not.
Yeah, that's why I wrote, "And there are people who..." rather than, "And you also do...."

You can and will believe whatever you want about the guy, the FAA, the government, etc. But other people will believe what they want too. Probably the main reason why it's hard to develop policy is that everyone, both the end users and the people developing the policy have differing opinions.

Yeah, that's why I wrote, "And there are people who..." rather than, "And you also do...."

You can and will believe whatever you want about the guy, the FAA, the government, etc. But other people will believe what they want too. Probably the main reason why it's hard to develop policy is that everyone, both the end users and the people developing the policy have differing opinions.

Ahh. I see on the comment...

An old boss/mentor of mine used to say, "If it isn't published, it isn't policy."

There's the rub right there. Having to go play, "Mother may I?" isn't so much "policy" as it is childish.

If you claim to be experts who write laws and advisories to keep us all "safe", then write 'em!

It's not like you can't change them later if you screwed something up.

All those tech tips we had to write in that search system? Guess what they all had on them? A revision number and a date of publication.

Not rocket science.

Ahh. I see on the comment...

An old boss/mentor of mine used to say, "If it isn't published, it isn't policy."

There's the rub right there. Having to go play, "Mother may I?" isn't so much "policy" as it is childish.

But that is also your opinion. I know people who want policy stated in excruciating detail with an approved response for every possible situation. On the other hand, there are those who want more leeway to decide things for themselves even if they might possibly end up having up explain their actions. You can see that on this board and I have seen it elsewhere. This has to do with different personalities and no one can say which is correct. This is why collaboration is difficult.

I think what some of us want to avoid is excessive mocking of the other side because it drives people away and the people who will be left are the trolls and others who like to argue.

Last edited:
I have a question,

If Nate got his way tomorrow and every question had a definite answer that every FSDO and inspector could gladly give...how thick would the FARs book have to be?

My guess is 8.

...meters.

I don't understand the camera issue. There are regulations that cover attaching things to the outside of an aircraft. If there is no regulation exactly on point and there are no NTSB rulings, What do you expect? If you ask an inspector, he's going to give you his opinion. That's never going to be enough to keep you out of hot water except with one inspector. It's YOUR job to read the regs and comply with them. If you (or your lawyer) think it's legal, do it. There's ALWAYS the chance that you'll get "busted" doing something legal (or you thought was legal) and you'll have to work your way out. That isn't just in aviation.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Jay, at 56 you're old enough to have met my Dad if you were in the midwest*. He was EIC of the FCC Detroit office, back when there was a Detroit office (and back when they called their agents "engineers"). Very motivated and effective, if all of his commendations from Washington meant anything. Wish I could introduce you to him, but alas he's not with us anymore.

I'm sure there are bad FCC inspectors just as there are bad FAA inspectors.

From personal knowledge and experience I can guarantee you that there were. At least back in the late 70's. Most I knew were OK, but there were a few that got into contests about how many (nitpicky) violations they could find. Some would also write up the worst possible violations so that when the licensee came back and said "well, I did it but just didn't log it" the engineers/inspectors would then propose a fine for the paperwork violation that the licensee had just admitted to.

Deregulation helped eliminate a lot of that nasty stuff.

*Although being from Wisconsin, you probably would have dealt with Chicago and Ernie Galens if you had reason to deal with the FCC. Another FCC bureaucrat, whom I never met and can't comment on.

Ernie was OK, as was Alex Zimny in New York. Lots of great people in the agency - too many to name here. And, like anywhere else, a few that were sub-par.

Short answer: NO PAPERWORK REQUIRED
Here's the test:
1. Its not permanently mounted
2. It does not require complex assembly
3. It does not meet the definition of a major or minor alteration to the airframe

This is akin to "installing" a seat cushion under a short pilots derriere so they can see over the panel.
There, you have it.
I have spoken. Speak of this controversy no more.

References to the FARs you're attempting to quote, please? (For real. I was trying to find them yesterday and failed.)

Or are you the Chief Counsel? :D

Or any other of a million ways to respond to a customer other than "I'm taking my ball and going home."

He came here as a pilot and CFI, not as an inspector. Because he is an inspector, he decided to provide some insight. But he didn't come here to argue about work, he came here to talk about flying. You could have at least waited until you'd met the guy or he'd been here a while.

Two answers. Neither of any substance. No snark directed at him. Re-read my posts. Literally. Remove whatever false emotion you've attached to them.

Here's a few examples of things that I'd take some offense to if I were a guy who was just trying to provide some insight and had already been run off one message board:

that's a lame attempt at emotional cover.
I pay for the poor "service".
"it's ok, they're just incompetent"

I didn't "pick" the word. You did. I see you've back pedaled into "a variety of reasons" now instead.

Think any of my customers might be bothered if I said my business was jacked up for "a variety of reasons" for decades on end?

Or, since you're operating on borrowed money and not what I'm paying anyway

So caught up and no answer. LOL. I certainly know there's some "diversity" involved but in the case of calling a lost alternator an emergency or not being able to put out a simple document for all FSDOs to follow on simple stuff like hanging a camera on an airplane, it's utterly ridiculous as an excuse. No doubt.

I'd love to know how my "diverse area of the country" affects how an inspector decides to handle looking over my "diverse" 182 and me the oh so "diverse" pilot...

Not picking on you personally, but I think you need a better excuse

I don't think blaming it on our "diversity" is going to cut it.

(Let's call every FSDO tomorrow and ask what the rules are for temporarily mounting a GoPro on a strut of a 172. LOL. Your assertion that the differing answers are caused by the "diversity" of GoPros, 172s, and pilots served... Isn't going to be the reason why the answers aren't the same.)

I gotta agree. Folks who know me very well and in person have decided to go on a witch hunt claiming I'm their community problem for discussing what someone else brought up in a thread.

I'm not on a witch hunt, Nate... And one person does not a community problem make. This is just symptomatic of our descent into the morass of flame wars and trolling that we tried to keep PoA out of for a long time.

Why not publish a document of guidelines that are "sure" enough to state.

It's called FAAO 8900.1.

I think what some of us want to avoid is excessive mocking of the other side because it drives people away and the people who will be left are the trolls and others who like to argue.

This!!!

I don't need to quote no steenkin' FARs - just trust me, it's there:)

No!

I know you're trying to be humorous, but I really do want to find those FARs. I'd like to at least have a defensible position based on them before I attach a camera...

I'm assuming that ultimately, it's not up to the pilot to decide whether to roll the fire trucks.

Well, I'm sure if you ask for them, they'll roll. Often it will be asked if you would like equipment, I always accept, (never seen a CFR crew upset they had to roll), sometimes they are there to greet you without a word said.

Well, I'm sure if you ask for them, they'll roll. Often it will be asked if you would like equipment, I always accept, (never seen a CFR crew upset they had to roll), sometimes they are there to greet you without a word said.

I agree.

On one of my declared emergencies, I ended up not needing to land, because the problem turned out to be carb ice which cleared up by the time I got down to 4000 AGL. I found out that the fire trucks had been rolled when I told Tower I was going to climb up and continue on home, and they asked if they could put away the fire trucks!

I agree too. I had a known nosegear malfunction. I didn't ask for the equipment initially but there they were. Four fire trucks for a C-320. They waited for an hour or two while I tried different things to get the gear to extend. Ultimately I would have asked for them but they were already there. Everyone else knew about it too. I spoke with the FAA inspector on duty from the airport operations vehicle. He had already been patched through (this was before everyone had a cellphone). I could hear his kids in the background because this was late in the evening.

I don't remember that anyone specifically ever used the "E" word.

Last edited:
Back