Emergency Assistance Plus

Velocity173

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Velocity173
Got this EA+ from AOPA in the mail today. Anyone have it or used it? Doesn't seem clear if it actually pays for an air ambulance transport or it just arranges a transport and you pay out of pocket.

gotta check that out, thanks.
our local air ambulance services are routinely $60,000.00+ for routine transport and our health insurance does not cover it.
I was thinking of hanging around the emergency ward to lure away a few cheapskates; I'd takem to the city for half that. (do believe I could run a code enroute - once I get my autopilot fixed.)

I got that in the mail, was annoyed that it didn't specifically and clearly state up front what it was, and tossed it out.

I got that in the mail, was annoyed that it didn't specifically and clearly state up front what it was, and tossed it out.

Write on it in red magic marker and send it back in the postage paid envelope . . . The Post Office needs the money.

gotta check that out, thanks.
our local air ambulance services are routinely $60,000.00+ for routine transport and our health insurance does not cover it.
I was thinking of hanging around the emergency ward to lure away a few cheapskates; I'd takem to the city for half that. (do believe I could run a code enroute - once I get my autopilot fixed.)

Check who your local air ambulance provider is and see if they have a flight program you can purchase. Many of your larger providers have them. Ours sells for $65 a year ($575 10 year) and covers your entire family. All costs that your insurance doesn't cover, are covered by the flight program. I can tell you as soon as I retire, I'll being purchasing one for whatever area I settle down at.

This AOPA program sounds familiar but doesn't go into any specifics on what it covers.

If you have insurance worth having it should cover it, ask your insurance provider and switch if they are too cheap to save your life.

Check who your local air ambulance provider is and see if they have a flight program you can purchase. Many of your larger providers have them. Ours sells for $65 a year ($575 10 year)
yes- forgot to mention, we have both fixed wing and helo coverages. AirMedCare and um,....?

don't send a RW to a FW fight ;)

And don't send a FW to a RW fight. I hear the PC12 has good STOL but a bridge in the middle of the mountains ain't happenin' ;)

IMG_2962.JPG

Last edited:
And don't send a FW to RW fight. I hear the PC12 has good STOL but a bridge in the middle of the mountains ain't happenin' ;)

View attachment 56575

The problem here with rotary is distances. Some of the Drs. here think rotary is faster because they can go hospital to hospital and don't have to use the airport. What they do not understand is because of the distance that the rotary has to stop and refuel.

Are any of the medevac RW pressurized?

The problem here with rotary is distances. Some of the Drs. here think rotary is faster because they can go hospital to hospital and don't have to use the airport. What they do not understand is because of the distance that the rotary has to stop and refuel.

Are any of the medevac RW pressurized?

In remote areas (Alaska), yes, the FW is needed. Most of the lower 48 have trauma / specialty centers within RW coverage. Draw a 150 nm circle around the base, anything in there and I'll beat a FW every time. Interstate or 200 + nm and the FW starts to inch us out.

That bridge above is at least a 45 min drive just to get to the nearest airport to meet a FW. Took me only 20 minutes to take the guy off the bridge and direct the nearest trauma center. Would have been 2 hrs by ambulance through the mountains.

In remote areas (Alaska), yes, the FW is needed. Most of the lower 48 have trauma / specialty centers within RW coverage. Draw a 150 nm circle around the base, anything in there and I'll beat a FW every time. Interstate or 200 + nm and the FW starts to inch us out.

That bridge above is at least a 45 min drive just to get to the nearest airport to meet a FW. Took me only 20 minutes to take the guy off the bridge and direct the nearest trauma center. Would have been 2 hrs by ambulance through the mountains.

We have a couple that are under 100nm where it's a tie.
Ofcourse some short hops don't make sense for FW.

Butttt when it's IFR and the freezing level is on the deck, were much faster ;)

We have a couple that are under 100nm where it's a tie.
Ofcourse some short hops don't make sense for FW.

Butttt when it's IFR and the freezing level is on the deck, were much faster ;)

Which is why for the life of me, I can't understand why we don't have helos in EMS approved for icing. Severe Achilles heel in my opinion. Even in the southeast there are plenty of times we're grounded for icing.

What helicopters are built to launch into ice?

My understanding is even a Blackhawk is more designed to survive ice till it can get out vs launching for a sustained flight in ice :dunno:

In remote areas (Alaska), yes, the FW is needed. Most of the lower 48 have trauma / specialty centers within RW coverage. Draw a 150 nm circle around the base, anything in there and I'll beat a FW every time. Interstate or 200 + nm and the FW starts to inch us out..

And here in the southwest. Anything over 100 miles the FW has proven to be faster, especially at night or in weather. And just about everywhere is well over 100 miles. There is 3 towns that are less than 50 miles away that makes the RW quicker. But they are on the reservation and the bill payers want FW first call, RW if no FW available. I have no idea why they are like that.

Remote accident sights is exactly what a RW is made for.

What helicopters are built to launch into ice?

My understanding is even a Blackhawk is more designed to survive ice till it can get out vs launching for a sustained flight in ice :dunno:

Most of your larger Part 29 helos and military transport helos. The Black Hawk was the first helo that from the initial design, would be approved to fly in known icing. Has windshield anti ice, pitot & static heat, engine & engine inlet anti ice, main rotor and tail rotor deice. All that stuff is costly, adds weight and uses a ton of generator power. All factors that I suppose keeps us little guys from getting approval in known ice.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back