Embarking on my longest flight yet...

joycem137

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Robin
As some of you may know, I got my license last year, and have been taking it *very* easy on my flights. Sticking close to areas I know, staying well within my limits, only doing 1-2 hour flights each way. This summer, I'm going to go on my longest flight yet. 560 nm from KPAO to S03 and back: http://skyvector.com/?ll=37.5615615....K2.MXW:V.K2.RBL:A.K2.KRDD:A.K2.KSIY:A.K1.S03

My plan is to fly up in the morning of June 21, hang out, and fly back the next morning.

I'll be renting a Cessna 172 SP for the occasion.

The last weather predictions I saw are looking good, and I'll be doing a planning session on Wednesday to make sure I have all the equipment and information I need to do it right.

It looks pretty easy, simple terrain, plenty of landmarks, good weather, nothing too exciting. A nice small step up from my $100 hamburger runs to Harris Ranch and Clearlake.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Mount Shasta from the air. I'm sure it'll be spectacular.

Wish me clear skies! (and any suggestions or advice are welcome, of course!)

Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm hoping you have clear weather also, but keep in mind that if you don't have optimal conditions then you should just wait to fly another day. No point in getting stuck at your destination because of inclement weather or pushing the boundaries of what you're comfortable with :)! Are you going to be using a GPS or just good ole fashioned pilotage?

Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm hoping you have clear weather also, but keep in mind that if you don't have optimal conditions then you should just wait to fly another day. No point in getting stuck at your destination because of inclement weather or pushing the boundaries of what you're comfortable with :)! Are you going to be using a GPS or just good ole fashioned pilotage?

Both, actually. VORs, waypoints, maps with lines all over them, plus onboard GPS, 2 iPads, and an iPhone... If we get lost, I'll be shocked. :p

My advice is leave early, real early, to avoid the thermals. I like to launch an hour before sunrise. Not only do you get to see the sunrise, you can get current with your night flight requirements by doing a few T&Gs before you leave the area. :D

You are a pilot now, you will do just fine. Have fun and enjoy the freedom.

Last edited:
you can get current with your night flight requirements by doing a few T&Gs

While the intention is good, the comment is misleading. Night landings must be to a full stop for FAA currency.

Good luck and fair sky's. Your going to love it.

I did that flight last year (Lincoln to Medford). It is not difficult. You will be over a little rough terrain past redding, but it is beautiful.

I haven't had my license much longer than you and I just did my longest flight last month. Ended up with 9.6 on the hobbs after the weekend. Take your time and evaluate the weather at each stop. I had to wait out some early morning MVFR conditions twice and had to fly lower than I wanted for part of the trip to stay below the overcast. Break up the trip into smaller cross countries. I broke mine up into 2 hour legs for my passengers and my benefit. I've done 2hrs lots of times, so mentally it was a lot less daunting. Good luck and have fun. You will learn a ton.

I flew that route the other way not long ago(N to S) and it's a nice routing. Go ahead and make a detour over toward Shasta, it's well worth it to get some close ups. I would stay away from the east and south east side of the mtn though as the prevailing wind is typically from the N and NW. Just do a fly-by and have your camera ready.

As I slip on my tin foil hat, let me caution you that there is a decent likelyhood that you will be met by a bevy of heavily armed CG and DHS folks at your destination. Do not grant permission to search, do not answer questions. Ask for a warrant, show your required paperwork only, and insure your plane is secured at all times. Don't be intimidated, innocent people have no fears except that of finding one of the now common lawless LEOs who will plant evidence.

As some of you may know, I got my license last year, and have been taking it *very* easy on my flights. Sticking close to areas I know, staying well within my limits, only doing 1-2 hour flights each way. This summer, I'm going to go on my longest flight yet. 560 nm from KPAO to S03 and back: http://skyvector.com/?ll=37.5615615....K2.MXW:V.K2.RBL:A.K2.KRDD:A.K2.KSIY:A.K1.S03

My plan is to fly up in the morning of June 21, hang out, and fly back the next morning.

I'll be renting a Cessna 172 SP for the occasion.

The last weather predictions I saw are looking good, and I'll be doing a planning session on Wednesday to make sure I have all the equipment and information I need to do it right.

It looks pretty easy, simple terrain, plenty of landmarks, good weather, nothing too exciting. A nice small step up from my $100 hamburger runs to Harris Ranch and Clearlake.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Mount Shasta from the air. I'm sure it'll be spectacular.

Congrats on getting your ticket and good luck! I take it you haven't flown this route before? I dunno about simple terrain, as a low-lander with only limited mountain flying experience I'm sort of intimidated looking at the Skyvector route. The MEFs are pretty high in the northern portion (although you'll be staying out of the highest elevations), looking at the low-alt enroute chart MEAs are between 10k & 12k. MEAs not only ensure obstruction clearance but also comm and nav coverage. If you're below the MEA you might not be able to either navigate (by VOR) or communicate. Also I've lost GPS coverage in the hills before, so don't take it for granted that you'll have it at all times. Also, unless you're already familiar with the destination airport, I'd suggest pulling up the instrument t/o minimums publication for that airport and check for obstruction departure procedures and minimum climb rates, etc. I realize you'll be VFR in clear WX but it's still good to know as much as you can. Know the winds aloft (I don't go anywhere w/o a recent Skew-T Log-P observations/diagram, as the standard "FB Winds Aloft" model isn't as accurate). Having said that, I don't know if the radiosonde launch schedule out west is the same as it is over here. Also at really high elevations (like the Rockies) it's advisable to follow the freeways instead of flying direct. OK, so I tend to be overly cautious... :)

Joyce,
I fly to Washington every year and go that general route. I think you'll be more comfortable staying closer to I-5 or at least within gliding range and after Redding I tend to follow the road around the hills to Weed then you can go more direct. Like another mentioned it's pretty rough up there and I'm flying at 14.5-16.5K'.

It should take some time. I took a 172 to Weed before bringing my experimental home and it was an expensive little trip given the rental rates at Concord's Cessna dealer.

HAVE FUN! :yesnod:

I wouldn't worry about that route at all, except for the possibility of turbulence.

The fields are relatively low altitude -- all under 3000 feet (except for Dunsmuir, which is 3200) -- and you can follow I-5 through the whole dang thing even if no electronic navigation works at all.

Shasta will be a factor in turbulence if there is an easterly wind -- rare, but not unheard of. The Klamaths can make turbulence as well, and that's much more likely. But comparable to what you're used to around the Bay. Those mountains aren't that much higher than Mt. Hamilton or Mt. Diablo. Stay above the peaks for smoother air, as you know. Watch for weather. A cloud capping Shasta is not unheard of, and big peaks like that can cause thunderstorms -- but they stick to the mountains and can be easily avoided, especially upwind.

Should be a high probability of good weather. If you want to be super ambitious you could take this route:

http://skyvector.com/?ll=40.8404114...KPAO:F.K2.VPWAM:F.K2.FENRA:A.K2.KSVE:A.K1.S49

That will take you to Bob Bement's fly-in to S49 (Miller Memorial) in Oregon, which is happening the same dates you are planning on flying.

I can't add anything to what others have already advised. But the week before, weather permitting, I hope to fly this route on the 15th:
http://skyvector.com/?ll=40.6984095...1.4S7:A.K2.O89:A.K2.CN42:F.K2.VPCRL:A.K2.KWVI

My route includes landings at Beaver Marsh (2S2) and Malin (4S7) only because they are still unclaimed on the Operation: Fly web site (http://www.operationfly.com/). If that sort of challenge interests you at all I'd happily leave Malin unclaimed if you want to land there on your return flight.

My route home on the 19th has a lot in common with your route:
http://skyvector.com/?ll=40.6795271...2.KWVI:F.K2.VPCRL:A.K2.KRBL:A.K2.1O6:A.K1.77S

I can't add anything to what others have already advised. But the week before, weather permitting, I hope to fly this route on the 15th:
http://skyvector.com/?ll=40.6984095...1.4S7:A.K2.O89:A.K2.CN42:F.K2.VPCRL:A.K2.KWVI

My route includes landings at Beaver Marsh (2S2) and Malin (4S7) only because they are still unclaimed on the Operation: Fly web site (http://www.operationfly.com/). If that sort of challenge interests you at all I'd happily leave Malin unclaimed if you want to land there on your return flight.

You're soooo lucky to fly around places like that. Out here it's all low-land farm country and great lakes, but your ocean beats our lakes! This is purely from scenic perspective, on the flip side I'm perfectly happy not living in CA and being close to large bodies of fresh water! Win some, lose some. :D We get our kicks from practicing approaches in/around DTW class B, and going over to Chicago. Mackinac island isn't too bad. I tell myself that flying over Canada on a practice approach into KDET is cool, but then I think of what the CA coastline and mountains must look like from the air. Jealous. :yes:

Well, there's an obvious solution to that.

Come out here and do some flying.

Yes, the coastal flying is very nice. As long as there isn't a huge marine layer.

Well, there's an obvious solution to that.

Come out here and do some flying.

Yes, the coastal flying is very nice. As long as there isn't a huge marine layer.

That's the plan next year, planning on flying the Cherokee out there. We've done the PCH by car from LA up to Seattle, it was magnificent. I was tempted to rent a plane but SoCal rental rates + check-out are out of my price range.

Get out of the city and you'll find much more reasonable rates.

And remember, airplanes fly over mountains, so you don't have to rent near the coast. Avoid the desert, though, due to turbulence.

I did a 20 hour weekend not to long ago. My 2nd to last leg I started SSI at noon and ended at DYP 3 hours later. What a rough ride it was. If I had known I was going to get bounced around like that, I would just stayed in SSI over night and rolled out early.

Having that said, I second the early take off time. Your nerves will thank you.

You can do that route under 10K if you avoid the peaks. Yes, stay west of Shasta. I did not encounter anyone who wanted to search my plane, so you can probably leave the tinfoil at home.

Also I've lost GPS coverage in the hills before, so don't take it for granted that you'll have it at all times

The GPS lost signal..the IPAD/Phone did or the plane's GPS? The plane shouldn't loose GPS signal, the IPAD/Phone uses assisted GPS from cell towers, so I can see that happening.

Joyce - Get yourself an external GPS receiver. I have the Dual XGPS 160. It's way smaller than you think it it, like a small squarish hocky puck. It uses both USA GPS satellites and Russian GLOSS satellites (and combines their results for best accuracy). It allows up to 5 bluetooth connections to Android and IOS devices and doesn't require cell tower assist. It works great with Foreflight and CloudAhoy on the iPad, and for playing around on the Android for bicycling/running. No, i don't gain anything from you buying from this company - just get any external GPS. If you were closer, I'd loan you mine - I'm in Sacramento.

The GPS lost signal..the IPAD/Phone did or the plane's GPS? The plane shouldn't loose GPS signal, the IPAD/Phone uses assisted GPS from cell towers, so I can see that happening.

Both, actually. My iPad does not do 3G cell, I only use it for GPS (it doesn't happen often but it does happen). I've lost GPS temporarily down low in the hills with panel-mounted 430W, maybe twice in the last few years. GPS isn't infallible, technically we're supposed to use the FDE RAIM prediction program before heading out as /G. I also review http://www.nstb.tc.faa.gov/24Hr_WaasLPV.htm before setting out somewhere far away.

Joyce - Get yourself an external GPS receiver. I have the Dual XGPS 160. It's way smaller than you think it it, like a small squarish hocky puck. It uses both USA GPS satellites and Russian GLOSS satellites (and combines their results for best accuracy). It allows up to 5 bluetooth connections to Android and IOS devices and doesn't require cell tower assist. It works great with Foreflight and CloudAhoy on the iPad, and for playing around on the Android for bicycling/running. No, i don't gain anything from you buying from this company - just get any external GPS. If you were closer, I'd loan you mine - I'm in Sacramento.

I second the recommendation for the external GPS receiver. BTW, Stratus has its own GPS receiver and I think gives you a choice if you want to use it as a GPS source. Works great with ForeFlight.

I second the recommendation for the external GPS receiver. BTW, Stratus has its own GPS receiver and I think gives you a choice if you want to use it as a GPS source. Works great with ForeFlight.

Totally unnecessary.

The plane Joyce has in mind has a VFR GPS.

And Joyce is quite capable of navigating without it, especially with a big interstate, a HUGE mountain, and a river going through there.

Sometimes I think some people wouldn't be able to find the mailbox without a GPS.

Shasta can be visible 200 miles away on a really good day. This is not a run-of-the-mill mountain we're talking about. Shasta is high enough that it has Class G above 14500. It's one of the highest peaks in the Lower 48.

Last edited:
Totally unnecessary.

And Joyce is quite capable of navigating without it, especially with a big interstate, a HUGE mountain, and a river going through there.

Sometimes I think some people wouldn't be able to find the mailbox without a GPS.

Shasta can be visible 200 miles away on a really good day. This is not a run-of-the-mill mountain we're talking about. Shasta is high enough that it has Class G above 14500. It's one of the highest peaks in the Lower 48.

We're bringing 2 iPads, an iPhone, paper maps, and an onboard VFR GPS. Plus I'll be flying the course ahead of time in simulator. And we'll be following I-5 the entire way. And yes. Giant fourteen thousand foot mountain as a landmark.

If I get lost out there, I don't deserve my pilot's license. :p

You can do that route under 10K if you avoid the peaks. Yes, stay west of Shasta. I did not encounter anyone who wanted to search my plane, so you can probably leave the tinfoil at home.

We're planning 8.5 for the route we've planned. The only place where it gets interesting is just west of Shasta when flying between Dunmuir and Weed. If I read the info right in Foreflight, I think it was about 10 miles between the peaks there. but it sould't be very long.

Definitely looking to get a Stratus at some point. But haven't seen fit to justify the cost just yet. Getting married in August, and that's eating most of our money right now. :)

Totally unnecessary.

You're right about the GPS, I missed the follow-up message where Joyce mentioned it. Yeah, the GPS shouldn't be necessary, but it's good to have for extra awareness (for instance better 'nearest' info in case of a problem). I drove by Shasta 2 years ago, and I was thinking to myself how cool it would be to fly there. Joyce is really lucky to be making this trip!

Best of luck Joyce and safe travels! I am taking a similar adventure next week except in a faster more comfortable 182.

Best of luck Joyce and safe travels! I am taking a similar adventure next week except in a faster more comfortable 182.

She had planned the trip for the 21st - so she hopefully already has it done.

I was in the same boat, lots of local flying, a few cross countries in the 100-150 mile range. Last month I did my first really long flight, from North Georgia to Central Florida, about 500 miles each way. I was surprised how smoothly everything went. It's really just like flying shorter legs, but with a stiffer back at the end of the flight.

You'll have a great time. I recommend Flight Following for the longer trips; I had never used it until that recent trip, and I really liked it.

Have a blast!

The route looks fine. Why the weird dogleg on departure?

The route looks fine. Why the weird dogleg on departure?

That's the way students are taught to depart Palo Alto.

Joyce, just transition Oakland. Ask PAO Ground for a right 45 through Oakland Class C, request flight following. You'll get handed off to NorCal, then both OAK towers in turn, then back to NorCal. Transition is mid-span San Mateo Bridge (at or below 1400), 30 numbers (2000), Coliseum, follow 880. North of the airport, ask for a climb into Class B to cruising altitude (NorCal seems to have trouble at 2000 maintaining radar contact). SFO 1L/R is under massive construction at the arrival end, so the Berkeley departure is really unlikely to be used.

If it's really windy at 3000, go through Class B instead, using the usual route at 3500 or west of the mountains at 4500 (whichever is the upwind side of the mountains). 2000 through Oakland can cause moderate turbulence due to the hills when the wind is strong.

Joyce, just transition Oakland. Ask PAO Ground for a right 45 through Oakland Class C, request flight following. You'll get handed off to NorCal, then both OAK towers in turn, then back to NorCal. Transition is mid-span San Mateo Bridge (at or below 1400), 30 numbers (2000), Coliseum, follow 880. North of the airport, ask for a climb into Class B to cruising altitude (NorCal seems to have trouble at 2000 maintaining radar contact). SFO 1L/R is under massive construction at the arrival end, so the Berkeley departure is really unlikely to be used.

If it's really windy at 3000, go through Class B instead, using the usual route at 3500 or west of the mountains at 4500 (whichever is the upwind side of the mountains). 2000 through Oakland can cause moderate turbulence due to the hills when the wind is strong.

I've done the OAK transition many times. But since I was going so far north, I wanted to stay out of Class C space and reduce the amount of work the ATC folks had to do. Maybe this was unnecessary?

I was in the same boat, lots of local flying, a few cross countries in the 100-150 mile range. Last month I did my first really long flight, from North Georgia to Central Florida, about 500 miles each way. I was surprised how smoothly everything went. It's really just like flying shorter legs, but with a stiffer back at the end of the flight.

You'll have a great time. I recommend Flight Following for the longer trips; I had never used it until that recent trip, and I really liked it.

Have a blast!

I *had* a great time! It was amazing, and I loved it. Mount Shasta was huge, and the terrain out there was incredible. I wish I had the time/money to stay up there for a while and just fly around the area, but I'm getting married in 2 months and cash is tight. :)

Actually, I was taught how to go east, how to go through OAK, how to go over SFO, etc. My instructor didn't recommend any particular path over any other. I just figured that I should avoid class C unless I need to go through it. I'm planning a trip to Rosamond later this summer, and it'll go through SJC Class C.

Congrats Joyce! Do you have any cool pics or video to share with us? I'm planning my big trip right now except in a 182.

I've done the OAK transition many times. But since I was going so far north, I wanted to stay out of Class C space and reduce the amount of work the ATC folks had to do. Maybe this was unnecessary?

Yeah, I think it didn't matter to them.

OAK isn't that busy.

For myself, I never bat an eye about transitioning any Class C on flight following. OAK is a bit unusual in that they always hand off to Tower due to overlying Class B; in most others, you're talking to the same people you would for flight following anyway. Just, you know everyone is talking to them, 'cause they have to.

I also like to go TO OAK occasionally for landing practice. Nice, long wide runways -- and a lot of them -- without all the student traffic PAO and RHV have.

Personally, I prefer a Class C transition to flying through a busy pass where most of the traffic isn't talking to NorCal.

Congrats on the wedding. Is a flying honeymoon in the cards? :)

Last edited:
I *had* a great time! It was amazing, and I loved it. Mount Shasta was huge, and the terrain out there was incredible. I wish I had the time/money to stay up there for a while and just fly around the area, but I'm getting married in 2 months and cash is tight. :)

That's what I get for not looking at timestamps! :goofy:

I'm glad it all worked out for you...as soon as the wedding's over it's time to start planning the next one!

Congrats Joyce on the wedding! Hopefully you can take a sailing and flying honeymoon that would be awesome. Maybe this was the flying part of the honeymoon?

Back