eman goes to hollywood

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
in a coupl'a months. would like to do Catalina. thoughts on where to rent or other stuff I should be thinking about?

Catalina is a must! We took the ferry from the port in Long Beach, spent the day in Avalon and came back in the evening.

Think about planning your days around the traffic. 8a-10a is thick and likewise from about 3p-6p on the 405 and 110. I'd recommend staying south of LAX as hotel prices begin to decline past there. Anywhere north of LAX will be big money. Have fun!!

Most rental places will require a specific checkout for Catalina and/or Big Bear. If you want to do it in a 172 or Arrow call www.funoutside.net They are in Fullerton, about 15 mins from Disney.

Or you might want to spring a few bucks and stay in Shutters on the Beach, in Santa Monica. When I was there it was amazing what a family friendly place that was, with the bar being full of fathers and daughters, and in some cases granddaughters, enjoying the view. Kinda makes your heart ...proud? No, that is not quite the word....:blowingkisses:

-Skip

It's a work trip so they are paying for the hotel and I think it's a nice one. My thought was since I'm not there very long I might just grab an instructor and go, as opposed to getting checked out then going solo.

Makes sense. What city is the hotel in? Hollywood proper or.....?

Or you might want to spring a few bucks and stay in Shutters on the Beach, in Santa Monica. When I was there it was amazing what a family friendly place that was, with the bar being full of fathers and daughters, and in some cases "!

Oh man, you had eman until you mentioned "fathers"! :rofl:

Last edited:
Loews Hollywood
Nearest options are Burbank, Whiteman and El Monte, in that order. Weather will be a crapshoot. If it's clear, it will be REAL nice. But it's been raining a lot lately. Big winds are not likely in winter, except associated with a rainstorm.

Hollywood isn't nearly the dump it once was. I was there recently (flew into Whiteman). No more drug deals in all the shadows or hookers on every street corner. Quite a lot of old farts and tour busses. But the scam tour operators are still there (hint: you can't see "the stars" in Hollywood because they haven't lived there since the 40s).

But the scam tour operators are still there (hint: you can't see "the stars" in Hollywood because they haven't lived there since the 40s).
LOL. We did the homes' tour last time I was out there, no scam found.

You can see the stars, they're right there on the pavement. :rofl:

Most rental places will require a specific checkout for Catalina and/or Big Bear. If you want to do it in a 172 or Arrow call www.funoutside.net They are in Fullerton, about 15 mins from Disney.

Yeah, they made me take an instructor when I went to Big Bear, but that was actually preferable to me since I've never flown in mountains or dealt with taking off from a runway that is almost 7000 ft elevation.

Not sure when you are going, Eman, but if it's anytime in June/July, book later in the day to avoid the morning fog along the coast that sometimes takes a long time to burn off. That's what kept me from being able to go to Catalina.

You'll only be about 25 mins from Van Nuys, too. Plenty of schools up there to rent from. Catalina can be tricky, definitely want to go with someone familiar with the airport. It's fun though. Enjoy!

Yeah, they made me take an instructor when I went to Big Bear, but that was actually preferable to me since I've never flown in mountains or dealt with taking off from a runway that is almost 7000 ft elevation.

Not sure when you are going, Eman, but if it's anytime in June/July, book later in the day to avoid the morning fog along the coast that sometimes takes a long time to burn off. That's what kept me from being able to go to Catalina.

But that would cut into Happy Hour! :D

If you cant make a flight I highly recommend the museums at Chino airport.

I second that motion. They do an air show every year that is fan tashtick too.

Dinner, one evening, if you don't mind driving.

The Cheesecake Factory, 4142 Vía Marina, Marina Del Rey, CA 90292

Dinner, one evening, if you don't mind driving.

The Cheesecake Factory, 4142 Vía Marina, Marina Del Rey, CA 90292
There's one right in Beverly Hills a street or two over from Rodeo. Would be closer to Hollywood than Marina Del Rey.

If you cant make a flight I highly recommend the museums at Chino airport.

Yes!! Planes of Fame, and Yanks (though smaller) is a great time too. Go to Flo's Restaurant on the field...not much to look at but it's the pinnacle of greasy spooner-dom.

Good call on the instructor to go to Catalina. If there's an onshore breeze, there'll be downdrafts on the approach end, and though there's plenty of runway (3000 ft or so), there's a rise about 2/3rds down that blocks that last 1000 feet. Some pilots have locked up the brakes thinking that they're out of runway when they've actually got plenty left. Asphalt is pretty rough and there's a $25 landing fee, but it's worth it to go at least one time.

Asphalt is pretty rough and there's a $25 landing fee, but it's worth it to go at least one time.

... in someone else's plane. My plane hasn't touched down there despite being around the island a few times of sightseeing flights. I like my tires and suspension. Lol

Mid April might find the desert in bloom. If Catalina doesn't work out because of offshore weather, or you have time to do both think about that. It's an incredible sight in the good years. This might be one

Mid April might find the desert in bloom. If Catalina doesn't work out because of offshore weather, or you have time to do both think about that. It's an incredible sight in the good years. This might be one

U mean fly there? Where to?

U mean fly there? Where to?

KVNY, head northwest bound following the freeway up towards GMN. Just before GMN is an airport, Quail Lake, hang a right and head towards KWJF. Your in the Antelope Valley now. There are Wildfower Preserves there. In the good years it looks like the desert has been draped in Velour. Beautiful

KVNY, head northwest bound following the freeway up towards GMN. Just before GMN is an airport, Quail Lake, hang a right and head towards KWJF. Your in the Antelope Valley now. There are Wildfower Preserves there. In the good years it looks like the desert has been draped in Velour. Beautiful
Rumors are, it's a very good year in AV.

Back