email subscription

mattaxelrod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Is there a way to subscribe to any or the forums, so that all messages get sent to my email address? The AOPA webboard works that way, and I was just wondering if such a thing existed here.

Thanks for the great site,
Matt

Absolutely!

You can subscribe to individual forums or individual threads.

To subscribe to a specific forum:
  1. Select the forum to which you want to subscribe
  2. Enter that forum so that you see the list of threads
  3. Directly above the thread list on the right is a Forum Tools menu.
  4. In that menu, click Subscribe to This Forum.
  5. Choose either Daily updates by email or Weekly updates by email.
  6. Repeat for each additional forum to which you wish to subscribe.
Subscriptions can only be made 1 forum at a time, and you will receive 1 email per forum.

To subscribe to a single thread, at the top of the thread, look for the Thread Tools menu. The steps are similar but you have some additional options for delivery.

Chuck,

I had this same question, and I think you misunderstood (perfectly understandable, if you've never gotten the AOPA boards via e-mail.)

AOPA sends an e-mail for *every post* as soon as it's posted. That means that whenever I can get online, all posts since the last time I got online are in my e-mail, and they're filtered out accordingly. Thus, I can read the forums on my computer almost exactly the same way I read them on the web. (Organize by subject to keep 'em threaded and it's pretty much the same.)

I've also had trouble trying to get the same behaviour out of the boards here - I just get one big fat message with links to updated threads, it doesn't even have whole posts. Is that all it does? Can we get post content by forum, with each post as an individual message? (It worked OK for the thread subscription, but that still lumped all the posts into a single e-mail.)

Thanks,

Kent

Ah, no then you are correct, I did not understand.

I will look into whether such a modification has been done to send individual emails out as they're made. Seems like a LOT of email to set yourself up for, but hey, its your email account. :)

I'll let you know what I find out. :)

Greebo said:
Ah, no then you are correct, I did not understand.

I will look into whether such a modification has been done to send individual emails out as they're made. Seems like a LOT of email to set yourself up for, but hey, its your email account. :)

I'll let you know what I find out. :)

Chuck,

On the other board the entire content of the post is contained within the email. If 200 posts are made a day then 200 emails are sent, each containing the content of the post thereby eliminating the need to log on to the website. This site sends an email announcing that a post has been made in a forum to which the reader has subscribed thereby necessitating a logon to read the content.

It's quite a bit easier to read the other message board that way or any board for that matter. The only drawback is that to respond to a post one must log on to the board.

Ok - done the research - this option isn't currently available, but I've added my name to the list of vBulletin Owners who would like this option added.

So for now, no, afraid not...maybe someday though. :(

Back