ELTs

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Anyone have any experience with the recent crop of ELTs? What's good, and what's not?

Are you looking to replace your 121.5MHz one?

I was just facing replacing the battery or buying one of the 406MHz new ones. I could not find a lot of info about any of the new crop of ELTs so I just went with a new battery and decided to let others do the new product break-ins.

Of the ones I did look at the one I was most impressed with was the Airtex ME406. It is dual band, 121.5 and 406MHz is FAA approved. But the prices are still pretty high and I would expect them to go down in two years when I am ready to upgrade.

Are you looking to replace your 121.5MHz one?

I was just facing replacing the battery or buying one of the 406MHz new ones. I could not find a lot of info about any of the new crop of ELTs so I just went with a new battery and decided to let others do the new product break-ins.

Of the ones I did look at the one I was most impressed with was the Airtex ME406. It is dual band, 121.5 and 406MHz is FAA approved. But the prices are still pretty high and I would expect them to go down in two years when I am ready to upgrade.

I'd really like to switch to a 406 Mhz ELT with an interface to my GPS but the price is still outrageous (about $2500 installed). Maybe in a couple more years.

I'd really like to switch to a 406 Mhz ELT with an interface to my GPS but the price is still outrageous (about $2500 installed). Maybe in a couple more years.
Lance, I got a portable PLB w/built-in GPS for around $600. Since I fly more than one helicopter, this made the most sense to me.

Lance, I got a portable PLB w/built-in GPS for around $600. Since I fly more than one helicopter, this made the most sense to me.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna buy one of those soon. I'd still like the plane's ELT to be capable of transmitting my location though.

It looks like the unit is defective (as in, it won't reset after it's triggered), and the maint shop tells me *no one* will repair a Sharc 7.

I am doing a little background work to tell whether that's true or not, as I'd rather wait until annual to get the thing replaced, and annual is beyond the 90-day window for having the unit out of the plane.

Back