ELT Question

Scott@KTYR

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Scott@KTYR
ELT Question:
I have a bad ELT and want to replace it with a duel freq. (121.5 & 406) model.
If I do not hook it up to the Garmin 530 GPS I will not have to remove the New Upholstery to run the wires required. Without this hookup in a crash the GPS position will not be sent out to the Satellite on the 406 freq.
How important is the GPS position if you are on a flight plane and have a crash?

ELT Question:
If I do not hook it up to the Garmin 530 GPS I will not have to remove the New Upholstery to run the wires required. Without this hookup in a crash the GPS position will not be sent out to the Satellite on the 406 freq.
How important is the GPS position if you are on a flight plane and have a crash?

How fast do you want them to find you? Simple search will provide the times for 121.5, 406 no gps, and 406 with gps.

Connecting it to the 530 costs way more money, at least in Canada. The popular solution here is to use the Pointer SkyHunter, which has the built-in GPS. It fires up when a crash triggers the ELT. Of course, the wreck has to be right-side up so the dual-purpose antenna can see the sky.

A 406 without a GPS is already much more accurate than a 121.5 unit. The Doppler-effect locating function used by the satellites can reduce the search radius to a much smaller area.

Dan

Here you go... I'm led to believe the 406 accuracy (no GPS) gets better with each pass or the satellite.
Yellow is old 121.5, Orange is 406 by itself, red dot is with GPS.
location_accuracy.jpg

Here you go... I'm led to believe the 406 accuracy (no GPS) gets better with each pass or the satellite.
Yellow is old 121.5, Orange is 406 by itself, red dot is with GPS.
location_accuracy.jpg

Actually, the yellow would be huge, now. The satellites that monitored them are all gone. You'll only get attention if someone passing near the crash site is monitoring the frequency and reports the signal.

Dan

ELT Question:

It's the difference between 20 seconds and 20 minutes in time for position and 5' or 5 miles accuracy.

So what's the radius when your plane flips on it's back in the dirt?

I installed an ELT that noted the antenna needed to be vertical +/-10* so the GPS could function. This was in a TriPacer.

Chris

Back