ELT gone. Am I legal?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
The ELT in my plane has been removed for service. I need to fly from Raleigh to Chicago next week for business.

Am I legal?

Yes, for 90 days with proper logbook entry and placard.

10) An aircraft during any period for which the transmitter has been temporarily removed for inspection, repair, modification, or replacement, subject to the following:

(i) No person may operate the aircraft unless the aircraft records contain an entry which includes the date of initial removal, the make, model, serial number, and reason for removing the transmitter, and a placard located in view of the pilot to show “ELT not installed.”

(ii) No person may operate the aircraft more than 90 days after the ELT is initially removed from the aircraft; and

Last edited:
Correct. I wonder how many people know this and how many (like me initially) knee jerk that no ELT = grounded.

There are actually a dozen exceptions under 91.207 (f) that allow you to fly without an ELT.

BTW, I was lying. I'm actually flying from Raleigh to Chattanooga on Sunday for BBQ. No ELT (strike 1) going across the mountains (strike 2) is making the trip iffy...one more and I'm out.

Might call an audible and go to St Simon's (no mountains). Or I got a recommendation for someplace close down at the beach. I need to check that they're open, it's in the hurricane damage zone.

Trying to work in a hockey analogy, but it's late.

Yes, for 90 days with proper logbook entry and placard.

For us Canadians, it's 30 days. Now, what would be required of an American airplane in Canadian airspace? 30 days or 90?

Might call an audible and go to St Simon's (no mountains).
Get the pulled-pork sandwhich at the gas station, that was the best PP sandwhich of my life, no exaggeration. When the girl asked where we flew in from and I told her "TX", she flipped out. :)

Ummmm you missed the small print in the FARs.

It’s required to file a flight plan if the ELT is placarded inop.

Back