Elkhart, IN

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
I'm flying to Elkhart, IN on the 28th or 29th for a family reunion. Naturally, airplane rides are on the agenda. As I'm not familiar with the area, can anyone give some ideas of nice flyover areas in the vicinity?

Kaye

Kaye,

I've only been to Elkhart once (via the air, been there many times via the ground while growing up in South Bend), but it's like most of Indiana... flat and not much to see.

Flying near Notre Dame would be cool, but it's either within or close to the South Bend Class C. Not sure how the SB controllers are with sight-seeing flights, but that might be worth a shot.

I've only been to Elkhart once (via the air, been there many times via the ground while growing up in South Bend), but it's like most of Indiana... flat and not much to see.

Maybe quick dashes to the west to fly along the shore of the lake?

Take a slightly longer trip and take them to see the Chicago skyline from the lake. Great day or night.

It's Michiana - it's flat farmland. The only thing to see in the area is Touchdown Jesus, SBN is pretty laid back facility, and like Grant said, out to the Chicago Skyline, but that's more than a quick flight.

It's Michiana - it's flat farmland. The only thing to see in the area is Touchdown Jesus, SBN is pretty laid back facility, and like Grant said, out to the Chicago Skyline, but that's more than a quick flight.

6Y9 is only 310nm to the north from KEKM... I hear it's beautiful this time of year :)

Thanks for the plug! :)

It is nice up there.

someday when either my FBO starts allowing grass operations or I actually purchase a plane, I hope to make it up there...

Kaye,

Flying near Notre Dame would be cool, but it's either within or close to the South Bend Class C. Not sure how the SB controllers are with sight-seeing flights, but that might be worth a shot.

Last year I stopped at EKN for a couple of nights on my round-about way home from Gaston's. I found the SB controllers extremely nice and accomodating. So it sure was a rude awakening when they turned me over to EKN tower....wonder if it'll be the same folks this year. :eek:

someday when either my FBO starts allowing grass operations or I actually purchase a plane, I hope to make it up there...

I'm going.....just parking the plane elsewhere. And then I get a cool ride with Tony.....WooHoo!!! :goofy:

The Lake Michigan coast is nice. The southern most part of Michigan has some nice sand dunes and used to have hang gliders that jumped off the tops of the dune, don't know if they still do. Lighthouses along the shore are neat and you can fly by a Nuclear Power plant just south of South Haven and see if any F16s fly by. They've never said "Hi" to me.

Barb

The Lake Michigan coast is nice. The southern most part of Michigan has some nice sand dunes and used to have hang gliders that jumped off the tops of the dune, don't know if they still do. Lighthouses along the shore are neat and you can fly by a Nuclear Power plant just south of South Haven and see if any F16s fly by. They've never said "Hi" to me.

Barb

As they take pains to explain in the brochures at the nearby outlet mall the power plant with cooling towers in Michigan City is not a nuke!

Last edited:
As they take pains to expalin in the brochures at the nearby outlet mall the power plant with cooling towers in Michigan City is not a nuke!

Maybe, but the one at Bridgman in MI is.:yes: And there is another one up by South Haven. They don't have impressive cooling stacks. I think they cool with the lake water. It is easy to miss them tucked into the dunes. The easiest way to find them is look for all the fishing boats milling around off the shore. Apparently the perch like the discharge water.

Barb

Barb

And just as important, they (F16s) never shot you down!:hairraise:

But that does sound like a nice ride. Thanks!

Good trip to EKM, and a great family reunion. Got 1.5 hrs actual on the trip out.......first time in the clouds for the hubby....he was quite nonchalant about it.....and that's a good thing.:yes:

Rides were to Lake Michigan. Took a niece-in-law up for her first ride. At the last reunion, she was afraid of little airplanes, but let her son go for a ride. She watched me go thru the pre-flight with her son, and after the flight, she said she might consider going with me sometime. This year she did, and she loved it! She had so much fun, she forgot to take pictures.:D

Good trip to EKM, and a great family reunion. Got 1.5 hrs actual on the trip out.......first time in the clouds for the hubby....he was quite nonchalant about it.....and that's a good thing.:yes:

Rides were to Lake Michigan. Took a niece-in-law up for her first ride. At the last reunion, she was afraid of little airplanes, but let her son go for a ride. She watched me go thru the pre-flight with her son, and after the flight, she said she might consider going with me sometime. This year she did, and she loved it! She had so much fun, she forgot to take pictures.:D

that sounds great... who knows, maybe you've hooked 2 more people about how cool it is to fly those little airplanes.

Sounds like a successful trip Kaye! :yes:

This year she did, and she loved it! She had so much fun, she forgot to take pictures.:D
How neat! Sometimes when I take Young Eagles, they get so excited and busy looking out they forget to use the cameras they bring along.

Back