Electronic Logbook Software

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
I was looking at keeping an electronic version of my logbook on my computer. I took a look at the demo version of Logboook Pro, and was impressed, but the $100 pricetag is kinda steep. Have you guys tried any other logbook products out there, and if anyone is uling logbook pro is it worth the price?

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete,

I'm using the Logbook Pro Evaluation as well and am also very impressed. I haven't found any other software that can compare to Logbook Pro. I will be purchasing the license in the near future.

Regards,
Jason

vontresc said:
I was looking at keeping an electronic version of my logbook on my computer. I took a look at the demo version of Logboook Pro, and was impressed, but the $100 pricetag is kinda steep. Have you guys tried any other logbook products out there, and if anyone is uling logbook pro is it worth the price?

Thanks

Pete
I've been using Logbook Pro for several years -- I like it and think it's worth the price. It also does an excellent job when you need to cut across the data or report summary data.

RotaryWingBob said:
I've been using Logbook Pro for several years -- I like it and think it's worth the price. It also does an excellent job when you need to cut across the data or report summary data.
Can you export into Excel?
- Aunt Peggy

I made my own in Access. It exports to Excel - why the hell you would ever want to do it in excel is beyond me - but I made it with that ability.

The only thing I haven't done yet is make an 8710 form that will automatically print out.

I use SafeLog from Dauntless-Software. You can export it to whatever you need, and import for that matter. It also fills out 8710s, tracks your currency, generates reports & etc. They've added PDA support recently. $60 USD and free upgrades for life. It's actively maintained and developed.

No affliation. I just like their stuff. :)

Last edited:
In my shadier days, I had a version of logbook pro that was not legal, but when I realized that the aviation group is small and I was probably hurting fellow pilots, I deleted it off my system.

BUT - while I used it, I loved it. If it weren't for the fact that I'm a cheapskate, I would have easily paid for its features. It is great, and it has PDA functionality as well (for an additional fee, I believe).

AuntPeggy said:
Are you willing to share the structure?
- Aunt Peggy

If you have Access2003 I can send you the naked database. I **THINK** I have all the bugs out. The only glitch may be when you click "make new entry" when you have less than 10 entries.

N2212R said:
I made my own in Access. It exports to Excel - why the hell you would ever want to do it in excel is beyond me...

This is why:

N2212R said:
I **THINK** I have all the bugs out.

I used to keep my log in Foxpro but it was just too high maintenance for the problem. I created a spreadsheet for my log in Excel in 5 minutes and I *know* I have all the bugs out. It's easy enough to get the various subtotals one needs for insurance, medicals, and ASRS, which is what I really use the electronic version for. Why make it more complicated?

Regards,
Joe

And how long does it take you to add up all the numbers for your 8710?

One click and it does mine.

well you just filter in excel for all the required data and voila! not one click but im pretty much an access dummy.

I haven't touched Excel in 10 years. The bugs I had in Access were just form issues, nothing to do with data storage.

Safelog (Dauntless Software) does an excellent job !

Very versatile, easy to import and export to Excel, generates all kinds of reports...

:yes:

Safelog looks pretty decent, but I find it a bit odd that it cannot handle non-standard windows font size. I run my monitor at a pretty high resolution and use large fonts to be easier on the eyes. The Demo version of safelog was unable to cope with that.

Pete

vontresc said:
Safelog looks pretty decent, but I find it a bit odd that it cannot handle non-standard windows font size. I run my monitor at a pretty high resolution and use large fonts to be easier on the eyes. The Demo version of safelog was unable to cope with that.

Pete
Write to them... they are very responsive to fixing things.

AdamZ said:
Jason that looks like a great program but it allows the rest of the world to see your log book. Do you really want that?
It looks to me as if it ALLOWS YOU to allow others to see your logbook. I don't think it does that automatically.

AdamZ said:
Jason that looks like a great program but it allows the rest of the world to see your log book. Do you really want that?

Adam, it gives you the option to share or not. Not sure why you'd want to share though.

Nav8tor said:
Adam, it gives you the option to share or not. Not sure why you'd want to share though.

Even so it appears that the program stores your long book on their server and not on your computer. I guess thats good if your computer crashes, but I'm still a bit weary of having my info stored on anothers server. Adam Heise's www.forpilots.com seems to allo you to download the program onto your computer and thus store you info on your computer.

N2212R said:
The only thing I haven't done yet is make an 8710 form that will automatically print out.

You don't have to; AOPA has one on their website.

AdamZ said:
Even so it appears that the program stores your long book on their server and not on your computer. I guess thats good if your computer crashes, but I'm still a bit weary of having my info stored on anothers server. Adam Heise's www.forpilots.com seems to allo you to download the program onto your computer and thus store you info on your computer.

. One advantage to the off-site program is that it is platform-independant. I've been (quietly and passively) looking for logbook software, but all the ones listed here seem to use MicroSoft, and I don't do Windows !

. All my e-mail resides on someone's server, and that's a lot more personal than my flight time.

AdamZ said:
Even so it appears that the program stores your long book on their server and not on your computer. I guess thats good if your computer crashes...

Also good if you want to access the information remotely.

I agree. Storing the logbook off-site is a GOOD thing, as long as you can download a portable format (e.g. CDF, Excel, etc) so you have a backup you have a prayer of loading into another program if they go out of business, start charging, or lose their hard drives without an adequate backup.

N2212R said:
If you have Access2003 I can send you the naked database. I **THINK** I have all the bugs out. The only glitch may be when you click "make new entry" when you have less than 10 entries.
I have Access 2000. Sorry I didn't respond sooner.
- Aunt Peggy

Back