Electronic Logbook (MFB or FF) - Converting a student logbook - DUAL signatures and endorsements?

Skybound-mg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Skybound-mg
Now that I've got my PPL I'm looking to convert my paper logbook (currently approx 120 hrs) over to FF / MFB. I'll put the original in a fire safe but I'd love to not have to even have the original. I've read a bunch of threads on this but havent' found a good definitive answer and would love feedback or tips from someone who has done this before.

How does that work with dual entries that were signed by a CFI? Should I take an attach an image of the signature to the logbook entry?

Also, what about endorsements? Can Student endorsements (not that i need them anymore) be copied over to FF/MFB somehow.

I'm going to start attacking this this weekend, so any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

The question you should ask is exactly what the examiner asked during my private pilot oral exam: What do you need to have in your logbook? The answer is basically the entries and endorsements required for you to act as PIC of the flight you're about to take. To be PIC in VFR, you need a flight review within the prior 24 months. To be PIC under IFR, you also need an IPC or log entries showing your currency. To be PIC with passengers, you need to have logged the landings (and takeoffs if you're pedantic) necessary to be current for the operation (night, tailwheel, category, class, type). To be PIC in a tailwheel, high performance, or complex aircraft you need to have those endorsements or logbook entries showing you are grandfathered into them.

Other than those endorsements (flight review, IPC, tailwheel, high performance, and complex), you shouldn't need any CFI signatures in your logbook to go flying with your private pilot certificate in hand.

As far as carrying those endorsements, I have them all in my paper logbook and then uploaded pictures of them into MyFlightBook, which has a section for them under Training, "Images of physical (paper) endorsements." The paper logbook has no new time entries and only comes out of the safe for flight reviews or other endorsements.

Now that I've got my PPL I'm looking to convert my paper logbook (currently approx 120 hrs) over to FF / MFB. I'll put the original in a fire safe but I'd love to not have to even have the original. I've read a bunch of threads on this but havent' found a good definitive answer and would love feedback or tips from someone who has done this before.

How does that work with dual entries that were signed by a CFI? Should I take an attach an image of the signature to the logbook entry?

Also, what about endorsements? Can Student endorsements (not that i need them anymore) be copied over to FF/MFB somehow.

Thanks.
Too bad my CFI isn't on this board. He could tell you the hassle he experienced when he lost his logbook. Always...ALWAYS...have a backup of your logbook, paper or electronic. So, no, don't toss your original.

To be PIC in VFR, you need a flight review within the prior 24 months. To be PIC under IFR, you also need an IPC or log entries showing your currency. To be PIC with passengers, you need to have logged the landings (and takeoffs if you're pedantic) necessary to be current for the operation (night, tailwheel, category, class, type).
To clarify this, you do not need the flight review if you received a new rating in the prior 24 months. So, a new private pilot would be able to fly 24 months before needing the flight review. To be PIC with passengers at night, you DO need to log the takeoffs as well as the landings.

Thanks.
Your paper logbook retains its validity. In terms of things like signatures for dual and endorsements, the existing paper ones remain the originals (new ones can be digital). You can certainly duplicate all your paper entries, CFI signatures and endorsements in your new digital logbook - with some, such as MFB, you can scan the endorsements and include them in the digital log. But they are copies like any other copies. That‘s not a bad thing, but that’s what they are.

It’s really not any different than deciding you don’t like your ASA paper logbook and want a Jepp one. Rather than start anew and just carry over totals, you decide to spend days or weeks copying every single ASA entry into your Jepp. That’s fine, but they are just copies.

Last edited:
In a typical week, I may fly in five different airplanes. I like to record the flights in MyFlightBook with my smartphone, and then add details such as the route, the maneuvers, etc. in the electronic record. I still make a pen and ink entry in a physical logbook with the appropriate times and the name of the student.

Back