Electronic ignition -1-mag

Jeff07W

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff07W
I took the plunge and bought a sure fly (sim) and now am curious about things as I dive deeper…
It appears the most common method is to replace the left (impulse) mag with the electronic one… according to sure fly you can buy ei for either mag (under different part numbers). I bought the impulse unit simply because I read it was the most common option… now I’m curious about the pros and cons

Replacing the non-impulse / right mag would mean you could still hand prop if needed to get going… this seems like an advantage for the right mag being the candidate

What am I missing? What is the theory behind the impulse mag being the mag of choice to swap for ei?

I've always heard it suggested that you should keep the impulse mag if you're replacing only one. But I'm surprised, I would think that an electronic mag would be the same on both sides since they don't have or need an impulse coupling?

Mags with built in generators like the emag can I believe be operated with a small 9V battery for hand propping until they're turning fast enough to generate their own power if the aircraft battery is dead.

My plan is to replace the non-impulse magneto. If the SureFly or the Slick fails the other will still start the engine--unless I am mistaken :)

My plan is to replace the non-impulse magneto. If the SureFly or the Slick fails the other will still start the engine--unless I am mistaken :)

Yep, the remaining ignition will start the engine. Then what? You gonna launch with one mag inop? Point is, I'm not sure redundant starting ability really matters unless you're planning to hand prop an airplane with a dead battery.

One thought is to replace the impulse mag with the EI because the impulse mag is the more complex mag and is more likely to fail/come out of adjustment.

Point is, I'm not sure redundant starting ability really matters unless you're planning to hand prop an airplane with a dead battery.
If the battery is truly dead, and the airplane has an alternator, hand-propping to start won't get the alternator going. That's the only disadvantage of an alternator versus a generator. It can't bootstrap itself.

Because EI has a much stronger spark. With my dual Pmags hot starting an injected engine is a non-issue. Hand propping is also a non-issue. I carry a Jump Pack. Trying to hand start a 10-1 IO390 with a composite prop? Pass.

I'm not sure redundant starting ability really matters unless you're planning to hand prop an airplane with a dead battery.

I've done so, more than once. Even if the battery is truly dead and the alternator doesn't come online, big deal... I fly from an uncontrolled airport and don't need an electrical system for a local flight.

I don't know about the Surefly, but an emag has its own generator. Hand propping won't spin it fast enough to fire, but once the engine is running it's independent of the electrical system.

I've done so, more than once. Even if the battery is truly dead and the alternator doesn't come online, big deal... I fly from an uncontrolled airport and don't need an electrical system for a local flight.

The question I responded to was related to starting the airplane with one failed ignition. What's the point? If an ignition has failed, I'm not flying the airplane unless it is zombie apocalypse time.

The question I responded to was related to starting the airplane with one failed ignition. What's the point? If an ignition has failed, I'm not flying the airplane unless it is zombie apocalypse time.
Ok. I was talking about an electronic ignition that was not failed, but simply unavailable for starting until the rpms come up.

But I've owned several aircraft with single ignition, too...

Yep, the remaining ignition will start the engine. Then what? You gonna launch with one mag inop? ...
Good point.

...One thought is to replace the impulse mag with the EI because the impulse mag is the more complex mag and is more likely to fail/come out of adjustment.
Another good point. You have given me somethings to consider when making the impulse vs. non-impulse replacement decision.

OTOH, the zombie apocalypse is closer than we think. I've already got my state Zombie hunting license and my Zombie Assault Vehicle permit. I'm thinking of upgrading to the federal license and permit.

Back