Electronic Checklist in the Panel

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
How many of you make use of an electronic checklist in the panel. The G1000 has one, but I really dont like futzing with the MFD for a checklist, esp. in flight. I understand that the idea is getting rid of paper (which includes electronic charts, safetaxi, etc.), but I prefer it right on my knee. What do you think?

I was just thinking about putting some in to my 530 but don't know the details of how to do it and how it would work in flight yet.

I use some of the ones on the Avidyne. Before takeoff (run-up) always. I use the performance charts in flight to compare TAS with book values (amazingly close). And I review the emergency ones when I get bored watching the autopilot fly.

One thing about the 530 checklists, they use the same crappy user interface (rotating knobs) to enter so it takes a while. Don't put anything on your written checklist into them that comes before Avionics Master ON.

Joe

I use some of the ones on the Avidyne. Before takeoff (run-up) always. I use the performance charts in flight to compare TAS with book values (amazingly close). And I review the emergency ones when I get bored watching the autopilot fly.

One thing about the 530 checklists, they use the same crappy user interface (rotating knobs) to enter so it takes a while. Don't put anything on your written checklist into them that comes before Avionics Master ON.

Joe

Good points.

Have never flown anything that had a system capable of electronic checklist I don't really have anything to compare to, but:
Personally I like having the one in my hand and/or pocket when I do the walk around and for landing being able to quickly look at something and set it down seems like it would work better than having to push buttons or turn knobs to "find" it.
Just my .02

I used to have the after-landing checklist in the 430, as that's the only one that I don't have some sort of memory device for and am generally not in the mood to pull out a paper checklist for at that point in the game. It's definitely a pain to add checklists to the 430.

I do have ForeFlight Checklist on the iPhone, but I don't use it much - Mainly because I don't have challenge-response style checklists, and I haven't taken the time to enter everything in. Now that I use the iPad to replace most of my other paper in the cockpit though, I might put the checklists on the phone finally.

Now that I use the iPad to replace most of my other paper in the cockpit though, I might put the checklists on the phone finally.

There is a checklist application for the iPad. I believe there are pre made versions as well as a do it yourself version.

There is a checklist application for the iPad. I believe there are pre made versions as well as a do it yourself version.

Are you speaking of ForeFlight Checklist, or something else? I already have that, and I did not install it on the iPad - I'm planning on using it on the iPhone while I have ForeFlight running on the iPad. Yes, iHave too many iGadgets. ;)

Are you speaking of ForeFlight Checklist, or something else? I already have that, and I did not install it on the iPad - I'm planning on using it on the iPhone while I have ForeFlight running on the iPad. Yes, iHave too many iGadgets. ;)

Yes ForeFlight Checklist. I got the Lite version but have not worked with it to make a checklist yet.

My Stormscope has the ability to carry a half-dozen or so checklists, which is fine for normal operations. But I had to get the paper list out anyway for the pre-start checklist ... and while I'm fooling around on the ground I like to have the Stormscope, well, Stormscoping. And I had to carry the paper checklist anyway for the emergency checklists. So I gave up on the electronic and went back to paper.

Overall, I didn't think the electronic version of the checklist added much value. It worked fine. But it wasn't solving any particular problem that I thought I had and wasn't more efficient. But if it floats someone else's boat you aren't going to find me objecting.

Back