Electric trim failure

Connor Effron

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Connor
I have a 2019 Czech Sport Cruiser that just had the electric trim quit on it. I am still a novice when it comes to using a mutlimeter, and I haven't quite figured out how to pin point those nasty electrical gremlins. Before buying a brand new actuator, I would love any helpful opinions on how to figure out this situation. Thanks again!!

Best to get some help from someone that is familiar with the troubleshooting process

I would assume that the trim motor is a permanent magnet DC motor. If this is true, changing the direction of the current will cause the motor to change directions. So, if you put your meter on the (I assume) two wires going into the motor, when you press the trim switch one way it will read +12 volts and -12 volts when you trim the other way. If you are not getting the +- 12 volts, probably not the motor and you need to look upstream.
There may or may not be relays or some kind of driver circuit between the switch and the motor - or the trim motor may be driven directly by a double pole, double throw, center off switch. Or you may have separate switches for up and down. That kind of stuff makes a difference.

If you had a Piper Archer2, you would also need to check the function of an additional relay that is plumbed to the pitot. This relay exists to disconnect the electric trim in the event of high speed loss of control.

Back