Electric Airplanes?

Pipistrel just announced a version of the Virus (called the "Velis") that's all electric. The problem with both the Pip and the Colt is that the useful load is dismal. (378 lbs on the Velis, which makes an old 150 look good.)

I realize you don't need fuel with the electric plane, and save weight that way, but still.

Pipistrel just announced a version of the Virus (called the "Velis") that's all electric. The problem with both the Pip and the Colt is that the useful load is dismal. (378 lbs on the Velis, which makes an old 150 look good.)

I realize you don't need fuel with the electric plane, and save weight that way, but still.
True. The current Colt has a useful load of 469 #, and takes 31.7 gal gas, so you get only ~279 # for pax and anything else. I think the weight of fuel is replaced by battery weight. An electric motor is lighter than an engine. LI-S makes it somewhat more practical.

a horse actually generates about 15 hoursepower, this has been proven and is a very common misconception..One pound of hay is equivalent to 900 calories.

How many seconds does a pound of hay sustain a horse for?

900kcal = 3,700,000 joules = 3,700kJ (google) (dietary cals are kcals)

At 20kW we get 3,700 / 20 = 185s or 3 minutes - if no horsey losses.

I started meaning to leave it as a question, then I though it might not be stupidly small so I had to work it out myself.

How efficient is a horse?

Edit: Just noticed how old these posts are - sorry. Decided to leave them.

Last edited:
Simple enough ... just buy an old Zero motorcycle and install the parts on your experimental glider:

o_O

Back