Elderly Brit pilot mistakes road for runway

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
A pensioner attempting to land a plane mistook a road for the runway, an accident report says.

He only noticed his mistake when he hit a speed bump.

The pilot believed he had found the landing strip despite noticing "a kerb to the side and lamp posts to his left", the report continues.

The 68-year-old, who has not been named, was an experienced private pilot who had clocked up more than 1,000 hours in the air over the years.

However, he had flown for just four hours in the three months before the accident in August last year and only landed at the Shobdon Aerodrome - the site of the mishap - three times before.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1250632,00.html

4 hours in three months? There were points where I had about the same.

I also hesitate to call anybody elderly now that I'm not far away.

Wow what an amateur pilot. Glad that the UK has user fees so that things like that don't happen. Err, wait, ah, never mind

And it wouldn't have happened if the aerodrome had radar.

And it wouldn't have happened if the aerodrome had radar.
Or if he had filed a flight plan. Or had traffic in the area to advise him.

See? It's an accident chain that can be blamed on the government and other pilots.

I hope you guys don't talk about me that way when I get old. But I have a ways to go I was born 12/20/34. Let me see how old was I when I flew my family into Gastons in 2004? Bob

Last edited:
I hope you guys don't talk about me that way when I get old. But I have a ways to go I was born 12/20/34. Let me see how old was I when I flew my family into Gastons in 2004? Bob

Don't mistake a road for a runway, and you've got a deal!

All I have to say is that the guy is British. 'nuff said.

Back