El Cap

Sure. A buddy of mine base jumped off of it back in the early 80s. El Cap #19 I think he was.

Sure. A buddy of mine base jumped off of it back in the early 80s. El Cap #19 I think he was.

Always wanted to BASE El Cap, but never got out that way. Alas, this is posted in Tech Corner, so we have to talk about the less adventurous El Cap.

I haven't found any new "features" that turn my head but I haven't explored it much. It does seem to make my Macbook Pro faster.

so far, what I've heard is the usual kind of stuff about making sure your applications are compatible (and doing good backups) before installing El Capitan.

Caveat: I'm not one of the geeks that has to have the latest <fillintheblank>. At this point I don't see a compelling reason to install El Capitan.

I'm assuming this thread refers to some sort of software, and not the sheer cliff face that graces Yosemite valley. By the way, I have far more respect for those who climb up than those who jump down the latter.

I'm assuming this thread refers to some sort of software, and not the sheer cliff face that graces Yosemite valley. By the way, I have far more respect for those who climb up than those who jump down the latter.

Yep, I'm assuming the OP is asking about the latest OS X version from Apple.

It's sad that you apparently don't know the bliss that is OS X. :)

A solution in search of a problem.

Yep, I'm assuming the OP is asking about the latest OS X version from Apple.

It's sad that you apparently don't know the bliss that is OS X. :)

If it is anything like iTunes, I'll stay away, thanks. :)

I upgraded lastnight and now have a problem with hotmail. I put the machine to sleep and didn't feel like fooling with it

I have not either climbed or jumped off the cliff in Yosemite Valley but I did the update on both my MacBook Air and iMac. Everything seems to be working fine, even on the MacBook Air which is a late 2010 with only 2 GB of RAM. I haven't experimented too much with the features except for split screen. I could see myself using that.

Three machines upgraded here in the home office and so far all good.

I'm still on Mavericks...tempted to upgrade for the alleged performance improvements.

Upgraded yesterday. Again, zero reasons for me to upgrade. Split screen? Isnt that a given on all OS's? You can sync notes and other files to your Iphone or Ipad. or use onedrive/dropbox. I see no reason to upgrade other than saying you are running on the newest release or testing like I have to.

No issues so far, but I dont run much on my MBP.

So far, MacBook update good, Work Mac Mini blew the hell up (low level disk allocation errors during phase one load after booting to the installer), and Home Mac Mini is done.

Restored the work Mini from backups and just started another attempt remotely. Will see if it comes back online in a half hour or so, or if I find it dead again when I get to the office on Monday morning.

Nothing particularly interesting in it other than Notes catching up to where Evernote was years ago as well as OneNote. And maybe the split screen thing, but all of them other than the MacBook when it's mobile, always are hooked to two monitors. And true dual monitor layout support has always been God-awful in OSX. There's some apps that can make it barely tolerable by saving layouts for different tasks but none are properly integrated. The Launcher and Spaces concepts are totally awful. Full screen is great until you actually need to do something that requires multiple windows, like just about everything that makes money on computers requires. Haha.

I have been ignoring it until the first point release drops. Been there with Apple too many times before. There is a known issue with Outlook where it crashes on launch. My guess is it dumped a file somewhere that is now off limits. The security changes seem like the most interesting part of El Cap.

Had it running now on three machines for a couple of weeks with no significant issues. Mostly because it isn't really worthy of a major release title/number. It's essentially a dot release worth of stuff, hyped.

Which after I realized that, made total sense from Cook's new Apple. They aren't doing much.

But they did announce they'll sell the official Apple watch lugs to watch band makers now. LOL. Ooooh. Goosebumps. High tech magic! Haha.

Mail breaks various accounts randomly. I had to delete and re-add one of them. I have a POP account that is now broken and once I delete, I will loose all the old mail - unless I archive it (sigh).

Mail breaks various accounts randomly. I had to delete and re-add one of them. I have a POP account that is now broken and once I delete, I will loose all the old mail - unless I archive it (sigh).

I'd be amazed if more than five minutes of testing time is given to POP3 support. LOL.

Dead protocol. They should just remove it and spend time on more interesting stuff. :)

Get thee to an IMAP server. Seriously.

I'd be amazed if more than five minutes of testing time is given to POP3 support. LOL.

Dead protocol. They should just remove it and spend time on more interesting stuff. :)

Get thee to an IMAP server. Seriously.

dumb question - I don't want email left on the server, I want to keep it locally (I don't need to access it from multiple machines/clients). Can I do that with IMAP?

dumb question - I don't want email left on the server, I want to keep it locally (I don't need to access it from multiple machines/clients). Can I do that with IMAP?

Short answer yes. Longer answer, it would need a feature on the client - local mail rules.

IMAP generally is server side storage.

What I'd do if you wanted to remove everything from the server is to write a client side rule that moves all new mail into a local folder on that client.

Whenever that client wasn't up and running, mail would be on the server (and accessible by mobile devices or other clients, that could even delete stuff) until that client that does the local copying comes back online.

I'd avoid server side sub-folders in that usage case also. That would get messy. Just an Inbox and reconfigure the Deleted folder and Sent folder to store locally.

The one area that might get weird is the server side Sent and Deleted folders gathering things from mobile or secondary clients unless all were set to local storage. Trying to keep the Sent folder correct if you regularly search Sent for things you sent in the past, would really only work from the "main" client and only things that had been sent from there.

Or you could keep Sent on the server and clean it out once in a while. Could even make a time based rule to do that.

Definitely ways to do it.

Short answer yes. Longer answer, it would need a feature on the client - local mail rules.

[snipperroo]

Definitely ways to do it.

thanks for the info. Until IMAP offers better capability than POP3 for how I use email, I'll just stick with POP3 (I don't use multiple clients and I sure don't want the server-side storage).

We have a few Macs sprinkled throughout our Office. We discovered the hard way that if a user updates to El Cap it will completely break Outlook 2007. The issue has been acknowledged, but not fixed yet. Only recourse is to go back to Yosemite.

We have a few Macs sprinkled throughout our Office. We discovered the hard way that if a user updates to El Cap it will completely break Outlook 2007. The issue has been acknowledged, but not fixed yet. Only recourse is to go back to Yosemite.

Any reports on Entourage?

BTW ... I'm a POP user too, for the same reasons as Bob stated.

I can report that the Outlook that comes with O365 (and is only available via O365) for Mac (2014? 2015?) seems to work fine under El Cap. I doubt MS will be fixing 2007.

I have been waiting patiently for El Capitan.

My late-2008 MacBook Pro just keeps soldiering on, on Mountain Lion, I think.

I've squirreled away funds for a replacement. I'm leaning towards a Mac Mini, since in truth my MacBook Pro rarely leaves my desk, except to be locked up when we travel. When we travel, our iPads and iPhones seem to get most essential tasks done adequately.

My wait was partially until new Macs started shipping with El Capitan, which I assume is now, or very soon.

Two other things...

1) Can anyone confirm if Office 2011 runs OK on El Capitan? My financial stuff lives there.

2) As far as El Capitan only being a minor update, I think one can view all the "cat" releases as minor, or at least incremental. I think that we can view the "Parks and Landmarks" upgrades similarly. MacOS is refined enough that I don't really expect or need major overhauls every year.

Flight,

So far only two software issues with my iMac. Neat scanner software not yet compatible (they say update by the end of the month) and my brother printer MFC-9130CW - scanner- lost some capabilities but has a work-around (also say update "soon").

Office for Mac ver 15.14.2 works fine (don't know about office 2011 for mac).

As for the split screen, Microsoft has had that for years but not on the Mac. Works good.

Kevin

I have Office 2011 for Mac on my computer. Word and Excel seem to work fine with El Capitan but I would not even remotely consider myself a power user. I have not designed anything but the simplest of spreadsheets, and only use Excel to fill out forms for work which were designed by someone else. I don't use Outlook at all.

I've squirreled away funds for a replacement. I'm leaning towards a Mac Mini, since in truth my MacBook Pro rarely leaves my desk, except to be locked up when we travel. When we travel, our iPads and iPhones seem to get most essential tasks done adequately.

All of the current models are back to Apple's old tricks of gluing things and making the hardware non upgradeable via proprietary form factors. They were moving away from that for years and they've gone headlong back into it under Cook.

(Might as well bring back Scully. Haha.)

Last Mini that was easy to work on, was the "Late 2011" model and I jumped at the chance to get a second one with the i7 processor in it used, late last year.

Slapped a Samsung SSD in it and maxed out the RAM for pennies on the dollar to paying Apple for them new. Still have room for a second spinning disk or another SSD in there and only have to buy a bracket for it.

That Mini screams! It smokes most of the iMac offerings and I can get monitors for it far cheaper that perform as well as Apple's in the iMacs, too.

Problem is, people know that's the last model you can easily work on, so the prices on the used market have stayed higher than if Apple weren't playing the sealed up and proprietary hardware games again.

If you buy now new, buy the biggest and most badass machine you can afford and flog it for many years, hoping it's enough time for the Board to have tossed Cook. :)

This is what I may pull the trigger on shortly:

21908150129_28f483194b_z.jpg

Probably more than I need right now, but might as well look towards the future as well.

I would set it up with an existing Apple wired keyboard and two monitors, my 19" to the VGA out and my 23" to the HDMI out, for an extended desktop.

Thoughts?

Looks like Microsoft has released a patch that resolves the Outlook 2007 issue, thankfully!

All of the current models are back to Apple's old tricks of gluing things and making the hardware non upgradeable via proprietary form factors. They were moving away from that for years and they've gone headlong back into it under Cook.

(Might as well bring back Scully. Haha.)

Last Mini that was easy to work on, was the "Late 2011" model and I jumped at the chance to get a second one with the i7 processor in it used, late last year.

. . . .

That's actually one of the biggest reasons I don't buy a Mac. There are very few things that can go wrong on a PC that I can't fix myself. If a hard drive fails, I always have a recent clone at the ready that I can swap in within minutes. If the on-board NIC fails, I can disable it and install a PCI or PCIe one. Same thing for processors, cooling fans, RAM, etc. They're easy-to-get, easy-to-change commodity parts.

For me, the most time-consuming part of a hardware failure would be obtaining the part if I didn't have one. That would be about an hour each way if I wanted to hold my nose and go to Best Buy, or a bit over two hours each way to the nearest Micro Center. But in almost all cases, I could be up and running same day -- next day at the most.

Even if you're not the DIY sort, PC techs are a dime a dozen and shops can be found practically anywhere. Anything short of a failed motherboard can usually be replaced same-day by even a borderline well-stocked shop; and if you're willing to pay for next-day air, even a motherboard can usually be had overnight.

On a Mac, on the other hand, if your machine fails, you have to drive to the nearest Apple Store or other authorized place, talk to a "Genius" to confirm that the machine really is broken, leave the machine, and wait until a tech gets around to fixing it, even if it's an otherwise easy-to-fix problem. I'm told it can take several weeks unless you're at one of the few stores that has a full-time tech on staff.

It really makes no sense at all to me. I know that it's one of the biggest objections I have to buying a Mac, and I doubt that I'm the only one who feels that way. Why intentionally make something difficult to fix or upgrade, especially considering that Mac-trained PC techs aren't the easiest people to find unless you live in a big city or an affluent suburb? That simply makes no sense. It seems like a pretty ****-poor marketing strategy to me.

Rich

It really makes no sense at all to me. I know that it's one of the biggest objections I have to buying a Mac, and I doubt that I'm the only one who feels that way. Why intentionally make something difficult to fix or upgrade, especially considering that Mac-trained PC techs aren't the easiest people to find unless you live in a big city or an affluent suburb? That simply makes no sense. It seems like a pretty ****-poor marketing strategy to me.

Rich

What is the hardware failure rate of a Mac? I don't care how hard it is to fix something unless it is actually something likely to break.

I'm probably tempting the gods, but over the years I've had two routers fail, a network switch, a couple of drives (the one in the mac was more than 7 years old, otherwise that powermac 7200 is still running 24/7). I haven't had a hardware failure in my desktops or laptops in ....forever. Obviously YMMV.

I'll happily risk the hardware challenges of fixing a Mac instead of dealing everyday with the absolutely crap microsoft OS.

What is the hardware failure rate of a Mac? I don't care how hard it is to fix something unless it is actually something likely to break.

I'm probably tempting the gods, but over the years I've had two routers fail, a network switch, a couple of drives (the one in the mac was more than 7 years old, otherwise that powermac 7200 is still running 24/7). I haven't had a hardware failure in my desktops or laptops in ....forever. Obviously YMMV.

I'll happily risk the hardware challenges of fixing a Mac instead of dealing everyday with the absolutely crap microsoft OS.

Well, "absolute crap" is a bit of an exaggeration. 9x was crap and Me was beyond crap. But NT was always stable, XP was competent, Vista was usable if you disabled UAC, 7 was a masterpiece, 8 is even better except for the GUI (which is easily fixable), and 10 is even better other than the MS spyware and the forced updates.

At this point, the biggest advantages Mac has over Windows are in terms of security and privacy -- which are important enough that if it weren't for the difficulty of upgrading and repairing a Mac, I would buy one today before lunch. But I have a real problem with a device that's intentionally designed to be difficult to fix. That rubs me the wrong way.

The problem is that I've been tending to misbehaving electronics devices for most of my adult life; and the one thing I've learned above all else is that anything can fail, anecdotal evidence notwithstanding. Other than the front panel LEDs, there literally isn't a single part of a computer that I haven't replaced at some point or another.

But PCs are easily fixable. They may not be economically worth fixing in some cases, but they are fixable, usually in no more than an hour -- maybe a little more for a mobo -- assuming that I have the part in question, which usually takes a few hours including travel time, and rarely takes more than a day in the worst case if I don't mind paying for the shipping.

Maybe I should looking into building a hackintosh. I know they exist, but don't know much about them.

As an aside, my distrust of things electronic in general is also one of the reasons why I dislike glass cockpits and tablet-based flight apps. (The other is that they make flying feel too much like work. I spend enough time looking at screens.)

Rich

Last edited:
Kind of on the fence here.

Given the choice, I think I'd prefer to buy computers that were easily serviceable.

My 2008 MacBook Pro is, and I upgraded both the memory and the hard drive myself.

But then again, none of the iPads we've owned are easily owner serviceable. New Macs have gone that way as well. On The MacCast they said the new Macs even have their memory modules soldered in.

But as Bob said, Macs and iDevices tend to be pretty durable. None of our iPhones or iPads have ever had hardware issues, nor has Karen's 2013 iMac.

When deciding between a Vizio or a Samsung TV, I don't think user serviceability enters into the equation for most buyers. I think the same is true for iPhones and iPads and, for the general consumer, Macs.

The Mac Mini I'm getting soon will be almost impossible to upgrade, so the general wisdom is to buy all the memory and storage you think you'll ever need, plus some. I can't imagine ever needing more than a 1TB hard drive, but for $100 I'm going to 2TB to be safe. Similarly springing for 16GB memory.

Like I said, if Apple offered a "hobbyist" model, I'd probably spring for that. But they don't, and I think their continued sales and profit success makes their choices seem like wise ones.

Last edited:
Back