EKG for BasicMed?

A

AnonymousBM

Primary care doctor is willing to do the BasicMed exam, but insists on doing an EKG. No medical reason for EKG, his statement was basically since you are flying a plane I want an EKG done. No heart issues, or history of heart issues.

Any issues with having the EKG?

Primary care doctor is willing to do the BasicMed exam, but insists on doing an EKG. No medical reason for EKG, his statement was basically since you are flying a plane I want an EKG done. No heart issues, or history of heart issues.

Any issues with having the EKG?
Poor reasoning for requiring an EKG but an easy, relatively cheap test to perform. I suppose it is ok in his mind to drive down the interstate at 80 mph and not require an EKG. Look, listen, and feel is a lost art in medicine today and one of the reasons costs are out of control. Too many test being done when a simple history and physical exam will reveal quite a bit and direct the necessary labs. Sorry for the rant...it is one of my pet peeves.

If I understand BasicMed correctly, if this doc sneers at the EKG and refuses to sign, you shop to the next doc who will?

And then you have a BasicMed signoff AND something interesting to discuss further with your PCP? everyone wins? :)

I just talked to an 84 y.o pilot who got the rodent nests cleaned ouf of his airplane. He won a CAD SI in 2016. Did basic in 2/2021. He related that his family doc wanted him to get a pacemaker as he had 3 >2.5 seconds pauses in 24 hours (24 beats per minute). He said no.

I said "you know it's at her discretion. Make her feel good about signing it".
I also said, "that's a long time to wait for the next beat." I did not offer to sign him off.

I would want the pacer, and a stress TMT.

"Don't be a mule. Get the EKG".

B

Last edited:
My previous PCP did the same thing when I did my first basic med exam. He was basically fumbling and unsure of what to do in my estimation. I think in part anyway he was drawing more form experience doing DOT physicals than actually reading and following the spec requirements

I get an EKG with my yearly physical,can’t think of any downside I fly under basic med

An EKG is SO SIMPLE to do. I wouldn’t hesitate. My doc wanted an echo. Fine by me. All clear is way better than don’t know.

OP, what do you consider to be the downside to getting the EKG?

- Is he going to charge you more for an exam that includes the EKG? I'd be surprised, and even if so, I doubt it's more than a few gallons of avgas.
- Is he going to find something concerning? How is knowing/learning about a health condition a downside? "Ignorance is bliss," but sticking your head in the sand isn't good for you or those who care about you.
- Are you worried about being "denied" based on EKG results? You can't be "denied" a BM due to EKG (or any other) results the way a health issue can complicate a Class 1,2,3 issuance. A doc can refuse to do BasicMed, or refuse to complete the paperwork after examining you if they don't feel comfortable putting their name on the paperwork. If you really think they're just being foolish, then just spend a few more bucks and try your luck with a different doc. It's not like a Class 1,2,3 where there's a gov't record of your health issue that you have to explicitly deal with before you can hope for success.

Unless you're so strapped for cash that spending ~$50-100 requires extreme consideration, why even hesitate?

Back