Either I'm bad Luck or....

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Ok - I've decided that either I'm back luck, or the pilots around Albuquerque suck. Every accident at Double Eagle this year have happened while I was there.

A few months ago, we had a plane land with brakes locked, blew both tires, and took it off the end of the runway.

A month or so ago, we had a Mooney have an inflight fire on departure, and he attempted the impossible turn back to the runway. He smashed into the departure end of the runway.

Today - we had a pilot in a Bonanza (I believe) land gear up. That is, by far, the worst sound in the world, by the way. I can't get that sound out of my head.

All 3 happened while I was standing on the ramp, either before or after flying, and all three closed the runway for a long time. Today, of course, the other runway is torn about and being worked on, so the gear up closed the entire airport.

Sigh. At least the Mooney accident wasn't necessarily pilot error.

It's your fault, Nick.

SCCutler said:
It's your fault, Nick.

You've heard of the guy who has a GREEN thumb? Every thing they touch turns green and grows.

Maybe you have Brown thumb, every thing you touch turns to Sh-- !

:)

Does it have to be either/or? At least you weren't IN them when they happened.

I knew a guy wherever he went there was a fire. His dock caught fire, his car caught fire, the restaurant we were at caught fire later that night, the yacht he delivered to Seattle caught fire, his parent's home caught fire while he was visiting, his brother's car caught fire when he came to visit. Just when we thought this string was finished, his neighbor's brand new home was totaled by fire. All within one year. No, he didn't start any of them.

Richard said:

I knew a guy wherever he went there was a fire. His dock caught fire, his car caught fire, the restaurant we were at caught fire later that night, the yacht he delivered to Seattle caught fire, his parent's home caught fire while he was visiting, his brother's car caught fire when he came to visit. Just when we thought this string was finished, his neighbor's brand new home was totaled by fire. All within one year. No, he didn't start any of them.

Well its a damn good thing for him, I wasnt on the jury. Hey Nick...My plane didnt start acting up till after you got out too....hmmm..

Michael

Richard said:

I would consider this GOOD luck.

NickDBrennan said:
Ok - I've decided that either I'm back luck, or the pilots around Albuquerque suck. Every accident at Double Eagle this year have happened while I was there.

Do me a favor? Let me know where you are going to be for the next, say, YEAR or so ;)

I'm getting a Quigee (sp?) board. Then right after that I'm getting "Operation" a Milton Bradley game. "Take out the funny bone...."

Nick-

I feel your pain...

I've been in attendance for two accidents and one incident at Fullerton in the 2 years I've been flying there regularly. First was a bad landing-busted gear leg that left a plane half on the runway while I circled overhead - had to land elsewhere. Second was the poor souls who ran in the KFI radio tower several months ago (double fatal), which happened while I was taxing out to the wash rack. Third was about a week ago when someone decided to depart the runway early in their takeoff role and take out a taxiway sign. I got to circle overhead for 15 minutes while they checked the runway for debris (it was night) before clearing me to land.

Guess this is part of what goes with flying more than in past years - just going to see more stuff like that happen, and do what I can to never be part of those extracurricular activities.

Jeff

I flew out of Double Eagle about 5 years ago for a mountain flying course. Sure am glad you weren't there! ;) LOL.

As someone else said, I'd consider it good luck that you weren't in any of the planes. Learn from those incidents/accidents and do your best to prevent them from happening to you. The best thing to be said about a gear-up landing (intentional or not) is that it rarely causes injury to anything except the plane. We had a brand new Seneca V land gear up at a local airport a couple years ago because he and his CFI had been practicing emergency procedures and had popped the circuit breaker. Forgot to push it back in. Expensive ooops, but the only thing injured was the airplane and some pride. Metal on pavement isn't really a nice sound though. :p

Carolyn

FAA Preliminary report of the gear up. Would loss of oil pressure cause gear not to respond? Or is it likely that the pilot was so concerned with landing that he forgot to put the gear down?

********************************************************************************
** Report created 7/14/2005 Record 4 **
********************************************************************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 3042V Make/Model: BE36 Description: 36 Bonanza
Date: 07/13/2005 Time: 2200

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Minor

DESCRIPTION
ACFT ON DEPARTURE LOST OIL PRESSURE AND ON ATTEMPTED LANDING, LANDED GEAR
UP, ALBUQUERQUE, NM

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: METAR KAEG 132150Z AUTO 12008G16KT FEW046 FEW075 FEW100 33/06 A3022

OTHER DATA

Departed: ALBUQUERQUE, NM Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: ALBUQUERQUE, NM Flt Plan: Wx Briefing:
Last Radio Cont:
Last Clearance:

FAA FSDO: ALBUQUERQUE, NM (SW01) Entry date: 07/14/2005

Carol said:
Do me a favor? Let me know where you are going to be for the next, say, YEAR or so ;)

I'm with Carol. I go to ABQ on a fairly regular basis, so do me a favor and keep me apprised of your travel schedule so that I can be sure to go to ABQ when you aren't there. B)

Judy

Back