Eights on Pylons "line of sight"

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
While performing eights on pylons, many instructors teach to use a reference point off your wing tip. This was how I was taught and this is the way I explained the maneuver as I did it during my commercial checkride and was not corrected. In the airplane flying handbook they make a statement saying that using the wingtip is not always correct (p.6-12). The reasoning behind this is due to the fact that your reference point may not be parallel to the lateral axis of the airplane. A good example of this is when an instructor could potentially teach a student to line up the rivets on a low wing aircraft with the pylon when in fact those rivets do not line up with your line of sight but rather forward of it, therefor your aircraft will not be pivoting around your pylon. Other things may vary such as your position in the aircraft. The correct way to do it is to pretend the wing doesn't even exist and create your own invisible line of sight. If it goes forward of that line of sight, you're too high thus you descend, etc. So this brings me to my questions. If teaching to use the wing is wrong, why do so many instructors teach it that way? Is it for an easier reference and simplicity's sake? Also, would it be wrong to establish your own reference point off the wing instead of the instructor telling you what it is? Now I understand there are no tick marks measuring fore and aft of the wing tip but you could tell whether you're looking directly at the middle or just ahead of the ailerons, etc. I understand I can't teach it that way, I'm just curious why that variation would be wrong.

Don't change what you are doing. What you see with your eyes cannot possibly be what the person in the other seat sees. It appears that you understand and can explain the maneuver....just keep on keepin' on, don't try to work miracles.

I realize that this is a pragmatic, rather than a technical answer, but having put in 40 years as an instructor (part of that time as an examiner), I can tell you that what you are doing will meet the PTS.

Bob Gardner

I like Bob's answer. It seems some want to make it more complicated than it is. Use the reference that works for you. Be open to ideas for your student but ultimately, every person develops the style that meets the PTS.

To allow for the distance between the pilot's eyes and the average surface of the wing, I was taught to put my line of sight below or above the wing as the case may be, which was used as a loose reference. It's easy, and always works very well in practice and in testing.

All excellent advice from august providers -- My .000002 (the economy's bad): don't overcomplicate it, just stay consistent with whatever reference point you choose.

All excellent advice from august providers -- My .000002 (the economy's bad): don't overcomplicate it, just stay consistent with whatever reference point you choose.

Makes sense to me, especially when you remember the real purpose of the maneuver isn't to develop the skill of making figure eights.

Back