Eights on Pylons - Finding Pivotal Altitude

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
The FAA's Flying Handbook says:
An explanation of the pivotal altitude is also essential. There is a specific altitude at which, when the airplane turns at a given groundspeed, a projection of the sighting reference line to the selected point on the ground will appear to pivot on that point. Since different airplanes fly at different airspeeds, the groundspeed will be different. Therefore, each airplane will have its own pivotal altitude. [Figure 6-12] The pivotal altitude does not vary with the angle of bank being used unless the bank is steep enough to affect the groundspeed. A rule of thumb for estimating pivotal altitude in calm wind is to square the true airspeed and divide by 15 for miles per hour (m.p.h.) or 11.3 for knots.
I want to determine that special speed in a new aircraft type? Anybody know how?

I want to determine that special speed in a new aircraft type? Anybody know how?
[/FONT][/FONT]

That's for you to decide, based on the aircraft and the surface winds. Remember, the slower your ground speed, the lower the pivotal altitude. Best to test with different speeds to see what works the best. Generally speaking, I would use similar power settings as I did for steep turns.

[/FONT][/FONT]

what is the recommended maneuver speed for the aircraft, or Va?
Start from there.

What others have said. Figure out a comfortable speed below maneuvering speed, then compute your altitude. Fly a few and adjust to what works.

What type will you be doing these in? Approx. TAS at your altitude?

Back