EI Tach and MP - Beep at power on?

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
When I turn my master switch on, my plane used to emit an electronic beep - maybe two or three in rapid sequence. It doesn't do that anymore and I didn't notice when it changed... possibly after my major panel rework last year.

I have an EI Tach and MP. Do these beep when turned on? The lights flash correctly but no sound. I also have a 496 and it may be that it used to be only on the master switch but is now on the avionics master.

Would an STEC30 beep at power on?

Just trying to figure out what it came from since I always assumed it was tied to the Tach. The sound did not come from the speaker but from an electronic chirp somewhere.

Thanks!

Your 496 can be set to give you a low voltage alarm. In my aircraft, the alarm would go off when the master is turned on before I clicked on the alternator side of the switch. If I understand you regarding the fact that now your 496 power comes on with your avionics master, then I believe that once that switch is engaged, power would be full on and not give you an alarm.

I have found the sounds from the 496 difficult to spatially locate as coming from the unit itself. Since I still plug in the unit into the cigarette receptacle, I realized that the constant beeping when I pulled engine power to idle just before landing were coming from the unit to tell me the alternator was not putting out sufficient power-quite annoying on landing but a nice aural warning if I lost my alternator in cruise. Discovering where that noise was coming from was a challenge until I pulled its power from the receptacle.

Back