EI or JPI Fuel Flow?

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
Nothing else begin considered.

#1 The backlighting and appearance is much different between the two.

#2 Replacement flow sensor for JPI is significantly more $$$.

Which do you prefer and why?

I have the EI now and had a JPI in my previous plane. I liked the JPI better. The JPI had less button pushing and switch toggling, more intuitive for my brain. If you can, fly some friend's planes that have both and see which one you're more comfortable with.

I have the EI now and had a JPI in my previous plane. I liked the JPI better. The JPI had less button pushing and switch toggling, more intuitive for my brain. If you can, fly some friend's planes that have both and see which one you're more comfortable with.

I too have an EI, never flown or owned the JPI. Throwing out feelers for a customer.

All the piston planes I've flown for work, any my 185, all have JPI.

I have owned the same EI FP-5L for 22 years in my plane. Last year I had it upgraded from incandescent to LED backlighting so that it matched the RPM and MP gauges. Never had a problem reading it in either way and it resides completely on the other side of the cockpit.

The JPI FS-450 is LED driven as opposed to backlighting. The numbers will be a bit brighter. I have worked both units and the JPI is easier to use to get to the information. Since I have installed a JPI 830 and a GTN in the panel, I use the EI for fuel pressure only and the fuel to destination and waypoints is obtained either on the JPI or GTN.

I have only used the JPI. I have been very happy with it.

My JPI 450 has worked flawlessly for 10+ years and once set up with the correct (cal) numbers, it is deadly accurate.....

Ps... I "think" both the EI and JPI use the same FlowScan senders..:dunno:.:confused:

My JPI 450 has worked flawlessly for 10+ years and once set up with the correct (cal) numbers, it is deadly accurate.....

Ps... I "think" both the EI and JPI use the same FlowScan senders..:dunno:.:confused:

I believe the transducers are the same too. Mine failed last year at it was replaxed with a FT-60 feeding both my JPI and EI units.

I believe the transducers are the same too. Mine failed last year at it was replaxed with a FT-60 feeding both my JPI and EI units.

It doesn't appear so between the websites. The EI is the machined aluminum block and the JPI one looks more like and industrial/automotive part.

https://www.jpinstruments.com/shop/fuel-flow-transducer-231/

The EI:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/eift60.php?clickkey=21210

Can't comment on if they can mixed, but it appears to work with the above comment.

Last edited:
It doesn't appear so between the websites. The EI is the machined aluminum block and the JPI one looks more like and industrial/automotive part.

https://www.jpinstruments.com/shop/fuel-flow-transducer-231/

The EI:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/eift60.php?clickkey=21210

Can't comment on if they can mixed, but it appears to work with the above comment.

Interesting... Maybe that explains why I have heard of more EI transducer failures then JPI ones since JPI uses the "cheap" automotive unit......

Kinda makes you wonder about the quality of AIRCRAFT parts..:rolleyes:....:mad2::mad2:

Interesting... Maybe that explains why I have heard of more EI transducer failures then JPI ones since JPI uses the "cheap" automotive unit......

Kinda makes you wonder about the quality of AIRCRAFT parts..:rolleyes:....:mad2::mad2:

I wonder how many failures"= are caused by some sort of contamination vs mechanical/electrical.

JPI FS-450 onboard and love it! Easy to interface with GPS for mpg, fuel remaining at next waypoint, and fuel remaining at end of trip.

JPI 930 in my machine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 14
Back