EI CGR 30P question

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
Just about to order one. For those who have and have filled out the form and sent the other required docs - how did you give them the engine and airframe times as there isn’t a block to add them? This instrument will replace the tach with it’s recorded value.

You inout tach and Hobbs times in setup. Hobbs is called engine time, IIRC.

Or the installer which will be me if I know my favorite A&P as well as I do

Yep. I always reset Tach as SMOH time and Hobbs as Airframe TT.

I just finished an install and I pulled the old tach and Hobbs gauges as well. My A&P suggested setting tach on the CGR to TTAF. We left engine time at zero since it isn’t really used for maintenance or any other long term use other than single flight time (e.g. how much time my instructor bills for).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is good info as it takes 6-8 weeks lead time to receive and I would have to either park it or do math every time I have a log entry and I hate math. I got on the EI web page and they have several informative videos on how to set things up. Guess if I'd seen those earlier, I wouldn't have asked the question but maybe it'll be helpful for the next guy.

The videos are helpful. The written installation guide is pretty good as well, but there are some gaps. I had to do some research to determine the specific port settings to use to have it communicate with my GNS 430, for example. And I have yet to configure for the %HP calculation. Does anyone have any guidance on how to get the required inputs for that?

I'm pretty sure you can set the hours with the main maintenance password, rather than a second-level password (which you have to call EI for and are single-use).

EI's tech support is excellent (though it varies a little depending on which tech answers the phone; Dave A is the best one). It's a very complicated system, and expect there to be at least a couple of errors in the setup that EI sends you (usually easy enough fixes, but don't assume that they got everything perfect). I installed a 3-screen setup in my twin myself, with my A&P supervising. It's a whole lot of work. But once it's working, it really is awesome. The little red connectors they send you are good for the probe wiring, but anything else I used butt splices. After you do the first install of the probes with the red connectors, make a note to go back a few days later and tighten them all up again; inevitably a few will be loose and they'll lead to erratic CHT/EGT readings.

The videos are helpful. The written installation guide is pretty good as well, but there are some gaps. I had to do some research to determine the specific port settings to use to have it communicate with my GNS 430, for example. And I have yet to configure for the %HP calculation. Does anyone have any guidance on how to get the required inputs for that?

I will also be hooking mine up to a GNS 430W so I'd be interested in knowing what you found. I think MP is required for HP so I won't need that info as mine is fixed pitched.

I have the HP setting and frankly, it doesn’t match the performance charts. Seems to be reporting low. Depending on the altitude, rpm and fuel flow, anywhere from 3-5-7% low compared to the performance charts. Or maybe it’s the performance charts that are off since the CGR 30 P is suppose to be using MP, OAT, GPS altitude (I think) and other data to calculate percentage HP. I do look at it from time to time, especially on hot days with high DA. Just another data point.

I will also be hooking mine up to a GNS 430W so I'd be interested in knowing what you found.
Here's what I used for port settings to communicate with GNS 430W. Mine was wired to use COM3 on the CGR-30P wired to channel 4 on my 430W. Just configure the appropriate port on your devices if wired differently.
On the CGR-30P, set RX-FUNCTION to "GPS-Aviation", and TX-FUNCTION to "ARNAV/EI Fuel Flow".
On the GNS 430W, navigate to the MAIN RS232 CONFIG page and set INPUT to "Arnav/ei-fuel" and set OUTPUT to "Aviation".

You’re welcome.

One thing I might add is that I got a warning on the GNS saying it wasn’t receiving data on the channel on my first startup after configuration was done. I had other things to check out (all the new probes) so I didn’t immediately follow up on that, but it never repeated in subsequent startups. Maybe something with the CGR not having fuel flow info to send yet - not sure. It has been working without issue since then, so just wanted to pass that on so you wouldn’t necessarily assume an issue if you see the same behavior.

Back