EI CGR-30P operation with current firmware

bkspero

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bkspero
I had an EI CGR-30P installed in my Tiger shortly after the '30P was available. It was recently updated and reconfigured by EI as part of a panel upgrade I had done. In the 3.5 hrs it's flown in the past 2 weeks I've seen some differences from before in operation that aren't reflected in the manual posted online.

One is an improvement. Originally when operating in Leaning-LOP mode, the '30P would show the number of degrees below peak for only the first cylinder to go LOP. The updated unit shows the degrees LOP for the last cylinder to peak. This was confirmed by EI tech support. They couldn't explain why the current manual indicated differently.

The other difference seems like an odd downgrade. Originally the fuel totalizer function could be set for an alert to switch tanks after a given volume of fuel was consumed from a tank. It didn't matter if the fuel was consumed during a single flight or over multiple flights.

In contrast, the updated unit gives a Switch Tanks alert on every restart. It doesn't matter if tanks were switched a few seconds prior to shutdown, the unit wants them to be switched again after the next restart.

I have no idea whether this is the expected behavior for an updated unit. Like the LOP change, above, the manual on the EI website reflects the original behavior from 2015 and not what I am seeing. I asked EI tech support what the expected behavior was and they had no idea.

Anyone here who flies in a plane with a CGR-30P with the current firmware...can you tell me how the fuel totalizer behaves insofar as the Switch Tanks alert is concerned?

I heard back from EI tech support. They said that Engineering had issued updated firmware and that the new version gives fuel totalizer alerts as they had originally. They are sending me a copy with installation instructions for the shop.

Back